Advice: DAB / iPod System

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by williamj1, Jan 9, 2012.

1. williamj1

williamj1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hello everyone,
    I'm looking to purchase an all in one type system, which has both an iPod dock and a DAB radio built in. Not bothered about a CD player.

I've had (what I think is) a good look around, and have actually been surprised at how limited my options appear to be. There seems to be quite a gap in the market, with many cheaper units under £100 and others at £300 or more. I have an absolute maximum budget of £200 and my problem is, I'm looking for something with adequate room filling sound. The cheaper end <£100 tend to be tinny, lacking bass and generally just poor. The other end is out of my budget, so I'm struggling here.

From my research, I've narrowed my preferences down to 3 ...

- The Pure Avanti Flow (£185)
    - The Roberts Sound MP43 (£175)
    - The Yamaha TSX-80 (£139)

The Avanti Flow gets superb reviews in terms of sound quality - I've listened to it in John Lewis and I agree, deep bass and clear sound. Punches out an astonishing 75 watts of total speaker power, probably due to the subwoofer in addition to the 2 already powerful speakers. It has the advantage of internet radio and streaming which I am very keen on. This is likely my favourite. However, it is at the top end of my budget, and I am not a huge fan of the interface, buttons or general look (particularly the green / yellow display :/ ) of the unit.

I've listened to the Roberts also. Nice, but in my opinion not as impressive as the Avanti Flow. Much prefer the layout and general look of the Roberts I must admit. What concerns me is that the specs list this as having no seperate subwoofer, and only outputting a total of 14 watts (2 x 7w). I don't know much about the technical side of audio, but this is a striking difference surely?

Finally, the Yamaha. A new addition to the market - I like the design and have been very very impressed with Yamaha in the past. Sleek, a nicer size than the other two and generally looks cool. I think the sound quality will be excellent again, although I'm dubious if it could match the room filling quality of the Pure? It really seems to be in a league of its own there. Anyway, what concerns me about the Yamaha is that as it is only just released, there are literally no reviews and barely any shops stock it. Even on Amazon, there is only 1 review (although its very positive). I haven't been able to physically try the product either, as no where local stocks it.

So I'm very undecided on what to do. I know very little about sound and audio. From trying the Roberts and the Avanti, the latter wins hands down. I prefer the look of the Roberts however, and it is cheaper. The Yamaha is new and quirky, and I think it looks cool. I expect excellent sound quality, but again I'm dubious as I haven't tried it nor are there reviews. It is also the cheapest, which is an important factor for me unfortunately.

I therefore ask if anybody could please give their thoughts, opinions or general advice. I know there are some Roberts 43 / Avanti Flow users in these forums also, so I'd be grateful for any comments from those members also. Also, there might be some products I've missed in the market so if anyone has any alternative suggestions I'd be more than happy to consider? I also know there are alternatives like proper hifi systems, but I'm not keen on them simply because I move about a lot and want the unit to be an all in one, without separate speakers.

Thanks a lot,

------------------------------------------------------

Pure Avanti Flow (£185)

[​IMG]

William

Roberts Sound MP43 (£175)

[​IMG]

Yamaha TSX-80 / W80

[​IMG]

Mod Edit: don't hotlink to images without the hosting sites permission, images re-hosted

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2012
  2. niall campbell

niall campbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
  3. williamj1

williamj1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I've got an ipod touch second gen, and this is something I've considered. My problem is however I don't want to rely on an ipod which is already out of date. I'm keen to get one with DAB built into the unit.

The sony you post is fantastic - unfortunately my problem with it is that the speakers are separate whereas I want an all in one unit. If I were willing to compromise, I'd get the better Yamaha MCR-140 :) It's a little big also, already got a sony hifi like this in another room ... looking for a smaller unit. Interestingly also, the pure avanti flow has a higher speaker output (75w vs 50 on the sony)

4. nedmundo

nedmundo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Did you have a play with the sound settings on the MP43? We have 2 in my household and they sound a lot bigger than they are. The lack of sub isn't an issue as they are ported drivers in a very inert wooden cabinet. The fact that they are still on sale and command a high price tag after 5 years speaks volumes.

5. williamj1

williamj1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Haha just bagged an immaculate ex - demo Yamaha TSX-120BL from Richer Sounds, for the absolutely amazing price of £40. Evidently the last unit in the entire country, and I even managed to convince them to transfer it between stores.

£40, absolute bargain and comes with a 2 year warranty. Laughing, found some absolute cracking bargains in Richer Sounds over the years, this can be added to my list. Can't wait haha :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012