• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice connecting new amp for 2.0 sound

D

dogorman

Hello, and I apologize for asking something that might be addressed deeper in the forums someplace; on the upside this shouldn't take long because it's a painfully stupid question.

At the moment I have a Panasonic 50" plasma (TH-50PX60U) and a Sony HDMI-upconverting DVD player (DVP-NS70H), with ancient Rotel separates running my 2-channel audio. And I'm having a lot of trouble hearing the audio track from movies that were recorded in 5.1. The movie "Layer Cake," for those of you familiar, is a particular problem.

My current theory is that I'm not setting the various audio menus in the DVD and TV properly, so somewhere in the stream there's a piece of electronics that's either trying to mix a 5.1 signal and has to drop 3.1 channels of audio on the floor, or else trying to emulate a 5.1 signal with one of those awful delay algorithms. I've found at least four completely different places in the various on-screen menus where you can toggle through an assortment of sound settings, but nothing seems to help.

And it may be about to get a lot worse:

Right now the DVD player is connected to the TV via HDMI cable only, and the 2-channel analog audio outputs from the TV are connected to the preamp (the preamp doesn't have a digital input). But I'm due to receive an Arcam FMJ-A23 in a day or two, complete with the DAVE module installed.

My plan is to connect the digital output on the back of the DVD player to the digital input on the back of the Arcam -- but I'm worried that will make the problem worse, since it is at least possible to transmit full 5.1 audio signal down a digital cable. Any suggestions as to what I should do to fix the sound now -- and how I should keep it fixed when the Arcam gets here -- would be greatly appreciated.

FunkyMonkey

Established Member
Hello, and I apologize for asking something that might be addressed deeper in the forums someplace; on the upside this shouldn't take long because it's a painfully stupid question.

At the moment I have a Panasonic 50" plasma (TH-50PX60U) and a Sony HDMI-upconverting DVD player (DVP-NS70H), with ancient Rotel separates running my 2-channel audio. And I'm having a lot of trouble hearing the audio track from movies that were recorded in 5.1. The movie "Layer Cake," for those of you familiar, is a particular problem.

My current theory is that I'm not setting the various audio menus in the DVD and TV properly, so somewhere in the stream there's a piece of electronics that's either trying to mix a 5.1 signal and has to drop 3.1 channels of audio on the floor, or else trying to emulate a 5.1 signal with one of those awful delay algorithms. I've found at least four completely different places in the various on-screen menus where you can toggle through an assortment of sound settings, but nothing seems to help.

And it may be about to get a lot worse:

Right now the DVD player is connected to the TV via HDMI cable only, and the 2-channel analog audio outputs from the TV are connected to the preamp (the preamp doesn't have a digital input). But I'm due to receive an Arcam FMJ-A23 in a day or two, complete with the DAVE module installed.

My plan is to connect the digital output on the back of the DVD player to the digital input on the back of the Arcam -- but I'm worried that will make the problem worse, since it is at least possible to transmit full 5.1 audio signal down a digital cable. Any suggestions as to what I should do to fix the sound now -- and how I should keep it fixed when the Arcam gets here -- would be greatly appreciated.

If you only want stereo sound, output the stereo signal from your DVD player direct and make sure the DVD player is selected to output stereo only, or that the soudn output is set to stereo analogue out so it downmixes within the DVD properly.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom