Advice connecting BlueRay, Sky+HD and TV to a Soundbar

StuartBrookes

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm not really a techie person when it comes to AV, so wanted some advice/reassurance. We've just bought the Philips HTL5120 Soundbar, which has great reviews at a great price, even better on Amazon Lightining Deals. :)

I've got to connect it too a HD TV, Sky+ HD and a Panasonic SA-BT200 Blu-Ray Home Cinema Systems (which really isn't very good for sound). I've got rid of the surround sound speakers on the Blu-Ray as they weren't really very good and wires were very messy due to layout of our room.

I've connected the following:
Sky+ HD to TV via HDMI
Panasonic Blu-Ray Player to TV (speakers removed) via HDMI
TV to Soundbar via Digital Optical Output from TV to Soundbar

Is this the best configuration? I read that maybe I should consider using a HDMI Arc from Soundbar to TV, which means buying another HDMI cable, will this make any difference? Or is the above way I've set it up correct?

Many Thanks in advance
Stuart

Have you considered using a HDMI switch, running everything via that? Then you have one HDMI cable from switch to sound bar and one from sound bar to TV. Then you also avoid issues of not getting full 5.1 signal returned via the TV ARC. I have that sound bar too by the way, with the set up I've just described and it works great.

Hi, thanks for that advice, even more so if you're using the same sound bar. Will any old HDMI switch do, or is there something to look out for? Then I guess i run the Sky+ HD and the Blu-Ray player directly to the HDMI Switch in addition to the two you mentioned? Wasn't even aware that I wouldn't be getting 5.1 signal albeit I've no idea what TV ARC is, I presume that is me running the signal to the tv and then back out of the tv via the optical?

After a bit of help folks. Intermittently, when switching between HDMI1 (TV) amd HDMI (DVD) I get no sound via DVD... Takes multiple efforts at switching source before we start getting sound...

Any ideas?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom