• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice: Connecting a laptop AV to old CRT Phillips TV

GBrooksy

Standard Member
Hi all, I regularly use this forum to find answers and such but never really signed up and joined the community.

My problem I have is I have a good knowledge of computers and technology but I'm baffled with how to achieve audio and visual from a laptop that has a VGA out port going into a old CRT Phillips TV. The ports on the tv are as follows:
- s-video out
- RCA out (red, white and yellow)
- 3.5 mm headphone port next to RCA

This is the way I would prefer to establish a connection for audio and video. As both scarts are used, and obviously there is no dvi, VGA or Hdmi ports on this old model.
I've searched eBay etc but they all have VGA to RCA that don't include audio jack, or the wires are female and I would need male to put in tv. Am I being dumb just to get this and then buy a male to male RCA cable that goes from the VGA to RCA female adapter to the tv RCA ports. Then get a 3.5mm jack to red white RCA? Would you know if this works or what is the best route/ kit to get. Links and such would be appreciated. Thanks

rockmonkey1973

Prominent Member
In all honesty mate you are better off either buying a new tv or a dedicated monitor. I think you may find a vga to s video cable or something that will convert vga to s video but my experience years ago of hooking up a pc to crt is not one i would like to repeat:D. The picture even if you get it hooked up will be pretty appalling due to the really low res of the crt tv.

If you are absolutely adamant to pair them then the s video connection in will be your best bet.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom