Advice/Comments on 32" LCD TV for £800ish

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by infaddict, Aug 7, 2006.

Tags:
  1. infaddict

infaddict
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone from my first post on avforums :hiya:. I've been browsing these forums for a while now and have found them a great resource.

My 28" CRT TV gave up the ghost last week (with a satisfying pop and a bit of a burning smell :eek:), so I've decided to splash out on a new LCD television.

My budget is approx £800 and for that I believe I can get a decent 32" LCD TV. The wife would probably object to anything bigger than 32" anyway (ooh err :D)

My main requirements are to watch Telewest TV and to watch DVD's. A 3rd possible requirement is to play my XBOX (which is chipped/modded) thru my new TV. At the moment, I watch Telewest TV via SCART (not sure if TW supports RGB SCART?) and I watch DVD's via RGB SCART. My DVD player does have component output, so will probably upgrade to that in the future. At the moment I don't have any HD sources and don't plan to have any in the foreseeable future (next 2-3 years at least).

To start with, I have browsed the high street in shops such as Comet and Curry's and found the following :

Panasonic TX32LXD60. The internet/magazine reviews for this are very positive, but I didnt like the styling which I thought was bland (lots of boring grey around the edge of the screen). I have found this for £720ish on the internet and believe JL would pricematch to some retailers selling for just below £800.

LG 32LX2R. Again, the internet/magazine reviews for this are positive and I really liked the way this TV looked. The all black shiny finish looked much better than the Panasonic in my opinion. If I had to choose between the 2 for looks, the LG would win. However, looking at reviews, the Picture Quality of the Panasonic is better.

I also saw the Hitachi 32LD6600 but haven't had time to research that one properly yet.

Based on my budget and requirements, can anyone please offer me any advice or guidance? Any comments on the TV's mentioned above? Any TV's that I have missed that I really should look at (I believe there's a couple of Sony's that could be within my budget)?

Many thanks :thumbsup:

2. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,119
    Welcome to the forums :smashin:

I agree completely with you re the styling of the Panny LX60.

For your budget, there is only one winner, and it is this one. You will not be disappointed - styling is great as is the PQ and connectivity.

The retailer is also very good.

Best of luck.

Matt

3. Nielo TM

Nielo TM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    If you want the best experience, avoid the TVs that uses S-IPS panel (except high-end Philips). S-IPS is currently uses by LG, Philips and Hitachi.

The TV you want must contain a VA panel for best picture, those include, Panasonic, Toshiba, Samsung, Sony etc...

I strongly recommend the Toshiba (suggested above) and Sony BRAVIA.

4. infaddict

infaddict
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Matt and thanks for your quick response :).

Thanks for the link to the Tosh WLT66 - I agree the styling looks great and I've just printed off those 3 reviews to read on my train journey home. The price (£754 delivered) is also great.

The same retailer also has the Panny LXD60 for £795, so both are within my budget. I guess I need to investigate a bit further on the reviews of both models.

If it were purely down to looks, the Tosh would win hands down in my opinion (I'm a sucker for that shiny all black thing). It seems both the Tosh and Panny have good reviews for PQ etc. so I need to weigh them up and make a decision.

Thanks again... and I welcome any further comments from everyone :thumbsup:

5. infaddict

infaddict
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nielo :)

Thats very interesting information on the panels. I will take that into consideration. I think I've rules out the LG now, so its a choice between the LXD60 or the WLT66, unless someone else has some other suggestions.

You mention Sony Bravia... can I get a decent one with my budget?

Cheers :thumbsup:

6. Nielo TM

Nielo TM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    If you want more info about the panels and other stuff, click on the links below

Link 1

Link 2

The Sony is slightly expensive but it does have higher contrast ratio then Toshiba.

Remember, Contrast ratio doesn’t determine color fidelity or level of sharpness. Those are determent by the display, input type and contend.

Link 1
    Link 2

7. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,119
    You could get this Sony for slightly over budget, however the Tosh is better in terms of PQ, styling and connectivity. The Sony, which I would buy, would be this one, however it is a couple of hundred quid over budget.

If the Bravia is out of your price-range then go for the Tosh over the Panny. I am a loyal Panny customer but, having seen both the Toshiba32WLT66 and the PannyLX60 in action, then the Tosh comes out trumps in terms of PQ and styling. The Panasonic can seem to give slightly soft images, especially at a wider viewing angle. The Tosh handles images crisply and fluidly with the viewing angle being far superior.

At the end of the day, it is your cash - so make sure you audition both before purchase; one word of note, the factory settings on the Tosh are set way too high and take some tweeking with to get a great picture. So, please do not take the advice of the salesmen in Comet or Dixons - they would not know a decent picture or which settings to use to improve.

8. Webworm

Webworm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Nielo,

Is there any easy way to tell whic panel tech is in use in a particular TV ?

Stuart

9. Nielo TM

Nielo TM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    yap. Display black background to see if any purple glow is emitted when viewed from odd angles. This indicates S-IPS (IPS). I witnessed this on Philips, LG and Hitachi. Sharp defiantly use ASV and Sony, Samsung, Tosh and Panny use VA (PVA, PVA, S-PVA and P-MVA).

For identify LCD that uses TN; look at the display form bottom. You see that brightness plunges and image turns negative.

10. infaddict

infaddict
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone... I have now ordered my Toshiba 32WLT66 and should get it on Saturday :thumbsup:

I also managed to get it price matched at John Lewis for a great price of £758 with their usual 5 year guarantee. :clap: ... If anyone's interested, full details of my price match is posted in the JL Price Match Thread.

Thanks again :)

11. Prof

Prof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Another (too late !) vote for the Toshiba. IMO, you made the right choice. Please let us know what you think when you get your new TV. I`m forcing myself to wait for the 68 to be launched. If it`s too expensive or doesn`t get good reviews, its a 66 for me !