Novice Member
Hello all - new to the forum!

I have a music setup consisting of:

• PMC Twenty 21 speakers
  • Naim Supernait integrated amplifier / dac
  • Naim Stageline Phono Stage
  • Linn Axis turntable
  • Apple TV (for airplay streaming)
A new TV has presented me with a conundrum. As you all know, modern TV speakers are terrible! My first thought was, I need to buy a sound bar. However, since connecting my PMC's to the TV, I've realised it's crazy to limit them to just music! Why not use them for TV/Film also?!

I have decided I will need to buy a centre speaker (PMC Twenty C) ... TV/Film just doesn't sound natural to me in stereo. In order to cater for the centre channel, I will need to do one of two things:

1. Buy an AV receiver to power the centre channel, whilst using the Naim Supernait to power the left and right channels (via the AV's pre-out)
  2. Replace the Naim Supernait with an AV receiver
Unfortunately, I don't have the space for a two-box solution, so it appears as though I have no choice but to go with option 2 (replace the Supernait with an AV receiver).

Whilst I appreciate I'm unlikely to find an AV receiver which will do music as well as the Supernait, I would like to know whether there is an AV receiver out there today (new or used), which does music nearly as well as the Supernait, whilst providing killer 3.0 / 3.1 audio for TV and film.

In terms of requirements for the AV receiver, these are as follows:
  • Connectivity = Airplay and bluetooth is a must
  • Audio standards for music = Ability to stream high-res audio is a must
  • Video standards for film = 4K is a must, as I have a PS4 Pro
  • Audio standards for film = I know nothing about this, nor do I know how each standard (Atmos, etc.) impacts me, given that I will only use 3.0 or 3.1 speaker setup. For reference, I watch everything via an Apple TV or my PS4 Pro
  • Surround sound = Due to space restrictions, I'm unlikely to grow the system beyond 3.0 or 3.1, so surround sound isn't important

Your help is much appreciated!!

dante01

Distinguished Member
You'll not match your current setup's stereo performance using a multichannel AV receiver. You will be compromising audio in return for a receivers multichannel capabilities. If only interested in getting better audio from your TV then stick to what you've already got. Adding a centre speaker simply diverts audio that is basically mono in phase from your left and right speakers. Your left and right speakers should be able to portray this audio centre stage without any need for a centre speaker.

To get an AV receiver that gets anywhere close to the audio performance associated with your current stereo setup then you are talking £5K or you are having to look at options in this price bracket.

I'd suggest you stick with 2 channel stereo and forget all about 3.1 :)

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Or.. get an AV pre-amp / processor and configure that for 3.0 (or 3.1 if you add a sub) then use your Naim Supernait for front left and right speakers, and buy a separate one channel power amp for the centre.

Although, I do agree, that is a lot of effort and expense to go to, just to change from 2.0 to 3.0 or 3.1.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom