1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice - buying speakers for home dj'ing and parties

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by eggplant, Jul 13, 2005.

1. eggplant

eggplant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

New to the forum (hi :) ) and looking for a wee bit of advice on the following. I DJ - mainly electronic music i.e. house, hiphop, funk, soul, reggae, latin, african etc. I'm looking to upgrade my home set up with a new set of speakers or monitors.

Can someone explain to me the benefit of using monitors v speakers..? I want a set of speakers/monitors (either powered or with an amp) so I can mix at home or use the speakers for small house parties etc..?

I've been looking and have found Tannoy Reveals / MAudio Bx8's as reputable in the monitors field, but have'nt really a clue about the speakers... advice peepz?

2. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,516
    I used to use a guitar amp for practice at home ,it sounds just like a club . :)

3. David_of_Surrey

David_of_Surrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Fi speakers are not suitable for DJing as their sensitivity is typicall too low, Pro Audio speakers would typically have the same volume for 1/10th of the amp power or can go 10 times louder on a meter but this would appear to be twice as loud to the ear.

(comparing sensitivities of 88db/1w/1m and 98db/1w/1m )

Good PA speakers can handle the abuse of running hot for hours.

you would also find other features of use, pro connections, rugged cases, handles etc

have a look at some of the small compact speakers ie JBL EON http://www.jblpro.com/ there are some good FAQ papers on the site that will help you

If you are going to buy and amp and speakers, make sure your speaker RMS rating is 1.5 to twice the amp rating .

Good luck

Dave (20 years of djing)