1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ADVICE: Buying Plasma – Maximum budget £2500

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by astro, Sep 27, 2004.

1. astro

astro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ADVICE: Buying Plasma – Maximum budget £2500

Could anyone tell me what the best plasma for this price that i can get? As i said the £2500 is a maximum, but if there are ones at £2000 that are more worth it then i'd go for them. Have looked at a few but don't see huge difference to be honest, need some expert opinions.

Cheers

Carlito

2. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Do you want a complete TV setup (with speakers, tuner etc or just a monitor?

Tou can get a Panasonic PW6 (monitor) for £1700 or the replacement model (due out tomorrow) for about £2000, this seems to be the forum favourite as such.

3. astro

astro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    don't need speakers no, have the full cinema setup already – just a bloody good screen is needed!!

Astro

4. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Panasonic it is then :) you wont get anything better for the budget you have. Take a look at the following pages and you'll find out some more info on it

5. astro

astro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Leigh.

Do i just buy the screen or do i need to buy scart sockets for the back. Not sure on this.

Cheers

Astro

6. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    if you take a look at the likes of av-sales you will see that there are various terminal boards that you can put into the 'sockets' on the back of the screen. These range from scart to s-video and component. It all depends on what equipement you have. Most people say that the scart board gives a 'soft' picture.

If you have the like of Sky then most will advise to get a JS technology convertor (£120 ish) into which you plug your scart, this will then convert the signal to VGA, you then feed this signal into the screens VGA port (which comes as standard), unfortunately you loose the automatic aspect switching of scart if you do this, but there are ways around this, but thats another £100 on top.

They also do Scart to component convertors also and as far as i am aware you get to keep auto switching with this, but im not 100% sure, but most people seem to prefer the results from the scart to VGA convertor.

You can of course use your cinema setup amplifier to do all of the video switching/signal converting if you wish, depending upon its capabilities.

If you let people know what equipment you want to connect then it will help lots.

Here are the list of terminal boards available for the 6 series, as listed on av-sales site :

http://www.av-sales.com/plasma/html/panasonic_th-42pwd6_plasma.html# (Click on the view boards link over on the right hand side)

HTH :)

7. astro

astro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks again leigh. I need to get htis for the coming weekend for an exhibition - hopefully they'll deliver on time!!

Cheers
    Astro

8. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    you can connect almost anything with the SCART terminal board

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    you could look for a Fujitsu P42VHA30 for £2.5k try http://www.progressive-av.com/flat_screens/fujitsu_p42vha30.htm Has VGA, Scart and component sockets. Panny PW7 if you can get one in time is very good but adding all the bits will get you into Fujitsu money (fujitsu also have better warranty 2 years stanard)