1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice buying DVD recorder/hdd

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jag1967, Dec 21, 2004.

1. jag1967

jag1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All

I'm confused about which dvd recorder with integrated hdd to buy. I read up a little and done some searches on the forum, but still undecided

I've listed important features which I would like, and any recommendations that would narrow things would be appreciated :)

1. Use:
    - recording to hdd & archiving on to disc; this will be main use
    - archiving vhs tapes on to disc
    - rec to hdd & watching later & then erasing
    will be recording from a cable box

2. Cost: £550 max or less

3. Hdd size: 160gb; or 80gb is enough? as would archive to disc progs I want to keep

4. Format: dvd-r/rw; possibly +r/rw, but not convinced I need the + format as well? Though will be using disc's to on work (college) players too, so compatability an issue

5. Fairly quiet operation as player will be located in bedroom

So far, I've come up with the Sony RDRHX900S, but not sure if meets all my criteria above. Also, any other players?

thanks for your time
    jag

2. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Have a look at the Toshiba. No need for DVD-RW and DVD+RW as whichever one you have it will play on most DVD players. Make it has DVD-R though as this is the most compatible/cheapest format. The Toshiba will control your cable box as well.

3. Splash

Splash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I too have been pondering what to get and much as your self and came up with the Sony RDRHX900S much as your self. It was 700 in the local Sony centre so I shopped around and got it for 525 from http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk.

Offered a great service.... ordered Sunday evening and arrived Tue morning... did have to pay 15 extra for rushed delivery... but hey!

Sadly can't report on it as it is stuffed under the tree wrapped up waiting for the mrs to open on Christmas day.... least I'll have something to play with :devil:

4. jag1967

jag1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies so far.

As I mentioned in my first post, a lot of what I'll be doing is archiving recordings on the hdd to dvd discs (probably -r).
    Much of this will be progs rec from a cable box of an hour length, eg documentaries, and sometimes films over 2hrs long

I don't need really high quality, something at least as good as if not better than very decent vhs.
    But features like ease of adding titles, and ease of archiving more than one recording on to dvd-r are important.

cheers
    jag

ps. Splash, let us know how u get on with your new sony xmas present!

5. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I've had my Panny DMR85 for a while now and can't see the need to replce it til Blu-Ray. 80GB hdd is easily enough for my use. Even if you do record a lot of stuff, when it's so easy to edit and transfer to dvd-r (25p a time if bought in 25/50 spindles) it's simple to free up space. I've never been under 10 hours free. Has RGB input/outputs pal/ntsc prog scan out. Digital audio out. Can be picked up for £400 now. Definitely worth a look. 400 GB hdd is nice to have, but who needs that much space when dvd-r's are so cheap.