Advice Before joining the gang

leejw

Standard Member
Dear All.

Soon to be moving into our new house. With money left over I'm looking to purchase my first plasma screen. If I remember correct, once positioned on the wall I will have a viewing distance of about 6-8ft. Really want to get the PDP506XDE, but would this be too big with regards to the distance?

Finally..

DIY is not my thang!! Can anyone recommend an installer who operates down in Kent (Nr Rochester) I would need the beast mounted onto the wall and because of the wife, will need cables hidden :)

Thanks in advance

Lee

leejw

Standard Member
Thanks for the welcome :)

That second link put my mind at rest. 50 it is!! I really want to order it now, but from the previous posts I guess it's better to wait until we have moved rather than risk moving the thing twice.

M

Majid Khan

Hi Lee. just to let you know, i bought a new 42" plasma last week and was worried about whether a 7-8ft viewing distance would be enough - i almost went for the 37" believe it or not - but within a week, I'm already feeling the 42" is well maybe just a little bit small :)

I find myself more comfortable watching the 42" plasma from a viewing distance of about 5-6ft -- it is a Panasonic Viera btw so that helps given its pic quality close up is as good as you'll find on a plasma (most plasmas suffer from solarisation and artifacts close up, but the Vieras seem CRT-like close up)

I'm now thinking i might have been better off going for a 50" plasma, for my viewing distance of 7-8ft..(in fact, what i'm planning to do is go for a 50" HD ready plasma sometime next year , hopefully the next range of Panasonic Viera... PV700 ? :) anyone know when the next Vieras are coming out to replace the PV500 ?

Jim_Fear

New Viera's!?

Not for a few years, they spent a fair fwe million at least on the G8 panel, they would be silly to replace it so quickly. I'd say late 2006 to early 2007 at the earliest

acrmorris

Standard Member
leejw, I think you'd be wise holding off ordering. You don't want a panel sitting around in a box for ages which turns out to have dead pixels or any other problems when you unpack. Best to get delivery then set up asap imho.

L

Lionheart

I had a read back through my 2 links and I got to agree with the view that bigger is better (ooh err missus lol)...as Majid says (implies) you soon get used to the screen...at first a 50 inch screen will feel like you have just had the largest screen at the multiplex delivered but if I had the extra money I to would have gone for a 50 inch version of my TV although Im well happy with 42 (honest I am lol)...enjoy it lee, size wise I think you have made a good choice...(dont hold me to this if wifey says otherwise lol)

L

Lionheart

acrmorris said:
leejw, I think you'd be wise holding off ordering. You don't want a panel sitting around in a box for ages which turns out to have dead pixels or any other problems when you unpack. Best to get delivery then set up asap imho.
I agree with acrmorris on that one....it is a large screen and you absolutely dont want to move it about more than is necessary....far wiser to have it delivered brand new from the shop to your new home :thumbsup:

Jim_Fear

Also, wait till you've settled down, you dont wan tto have hundreds of things going on at once when yu try to set it up otherwise you'll probably end up rushing it.

acrmorris

Standard Member
I have the answer to that, Jim_Fear, just shut yourself in the sitting room and pronounce it off limits. By the time you've sorted the cinema out, the wife will have sorted out the rest of the unpacking.

No point in having a dog and barking yourself. (If Mrs acrmorris ever reads that, I'm a dead man!!!) :D

M

Majid Khan

New Viera's!?

Not for a few years, they spent a fair fwe million at least on the G8 panel, they would be silly to replace it so quickly. I'd say late 2006 to early 2007 at the earliest
Interesting.. i was under the impression that Panasonic came out with new panels each year... wasn't it the PW7/Viera PE30 last year and now the PW8/Viera PE50/PV500 this year ? in which case I had assumed we'd see the PW9/Viera PV700 (or whatever they call it) next year..

M

Majid Khan

Oh and btw, I was at a friend's house this evening watching some of the Man Utd football on Sky, his 36" CRT tele which used to look huge to me in the past - strangely today it just seemed so small to me!! :)

Also I really couldn't stand the motion blur effect on his 100hz set.. no match for my Panny 42PE50 at all!

Trending threads

Top Bottom