Advice before buying a receiver (another!)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by greenbuttonbhoy, Aug 15, 2012.

1. greenbuttonbhoy

greenbuttonbhoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I need advice about buying an AV receiver. Didn't want to hijack similar threads.....

I'm after a 7.1 capable receiver so I can run 5.1 surround in the main room and a pair of speakers in another room.

I've bought Monitor audio vector 5.1 speakers and I've an old cheap pair of floorstanders for the other room (which I will upgrade in time).

I would like it to be networked.

I originally decided on a Denon 1912 (£250) as Richer sound had some stock left. They failed to hol done for me.

I then decided on a 2312 (£439). I bought from "exceptional av" online and a week later they tell me there is no stock. Still awaiting the refund.

I'm now between a Yamaha 671 (£350) or a Denon 3312 (£649).

I've read great things about the 3312 but it's very pricey considering my speakers were only £300! The second output might come in handy but it's not essential.

Any advice appreciated!

cheers

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    Although the 3312 is a real bargain at the moment you will not get anywhere near the best out of it with your current speakers. Hence I would look to save some money and get the Yamaha 671 instead. If you can not get one of last ears models then you may be better just getting one of the lower level current models with 2 zone function instead of spending so much on the 3312.
    Bear in mind that all these 2 zone receivers you are looking at can only play analogue sources to the second zone. So anything connected to the receiver via optical, coaxial or HDMI will not be able to be used in the second room.

3. greenbuttonbhoy

greenbuttonbhoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying PSM.

I understand about the second zone limitations. I'll be hooking a record player up via phonos, it's mainly for that.

Looks like it's the 671 then.

cheers.

4. Nevaborn

Nevaborn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    The 671 you should be able to get for £300 or less. Its a cracking receiver which is capable far beyond its price point. It is hard to come by now but a bargain.

5. greenbuttonbhoy

greenbuttonbhoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The cheapest price I could find for the 671 online was audio express - £349.

Going by my online experiences to date I phoned them up just now to check they had stock.

They sold the last 1 yesterday :(

The guy then offerred me the 673 for the same price :clap:

thanks again for the replies.

6. Nevaborn

Nevaborn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Thats great price for 673