Quantcast

Question Advice appreciated.

vectra1

Standard Member
Hi.
I have purchased an LG 49UM7400PLB ,
I would like to add a fairly decent sound system to it, I have a small living room where this will be used so don't really need very loud as I my house is a terraced house and is on the side of a street and I have neighbours at each side.

Was looking at this as an all in one purchase as I notice it is regularly suggested as a decent system.
DENON AVRX550+ WHARFEDALE DX2 5.1 Speaker pack

OR

Should I buy these speakers and buy a receiver as well to keep within a similar budget?
Monitor Audio MASS AV 5.1 Speaker Package

Thanks for any advice.

gibbsy

I would take the MA Mass for that price. They are well received speakers and quite popular. It's only the speakers that you have to decide on as your budget is still limiting you to an X550 or maybe push for the X1600.

vectra1

Standard Member
Just another thought.
I have an old (1993) seperates system I put together with a pair of Bose XL400 speakers.

This I am considering giving to my son for his house.

I have seen these been recommended as well and it got me thinking, as my room is not all that larger, should I got with these Klipsch RP280F and spend the rest on a receiver? << Recommendations )
Would I need a sub with it? << Again recommendations.
How about sound quality? I know this are well rated speakers, but are they equally as good playing music as they are for movies etc?
Thanks.

Last edited:

gibbsy

Speakers will always make a good sub of music and the Klipsch are no exception. The big let down with music reproduction is the receiver itself. They are simply not up to the job. You would be far better off if you just want two speakers, with or without a sub, by getting a good stereo amp that has an onboard DAC. Run all audio through your TV and back to the stereo amp via digital optical.

Obviously you would need a receiver if going for surround sound and the Klipsch are very good, easy to drive speakers but in surround sound you would still need a sub to take advantage of the LFE effects channel, the .1 in a 5.1. It will also lessen the load on the receiver itself by sending all frequencies below 80hz to the sub itself.

vectra1

Standard Member
So it sounds like I have a decision to make then?
A good stereo amp if music is more important,
OR
Receiver if going 5.1 which I most likely would prefer.
Thanks again

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Your Room and Room Layout will guide you in terms of potential speaker layouts.

A good 2.0 or 2.1 system is my preference when working to a fixed budget/small room.

Joe

gibbsy

A soundbar is a compromise. The stereo image will not be as good as they with separate speakers which can be placed for optimum listening pleasure. The soundbar is a fixed position listen and certainly poor for music. Separates all the way.

vectra1

Standard Member
Your Room and Room Layout will guide you in terms of potential speaker layouts.

A good 2.0 or 2.1 system is my preference when working to a fixed budget/small room.

Joe
Hi Joe
Could you recommend something 2.0 or 2.1 that I could also add a record deck to?
I think decent stereo system might suffice.
Thanks

vectra1

Standard Member
Adding to above ^^
Either 2.0 or 2.1
BUT
As my TV is an an alcove by the chimney breast, I think maybe a decent soundbar?
Was thinking of this? >> YSP-2700

gibbsy

my TV is an an alcove
That changes things somewhat, certainly for watching the box. For that I would suggest a soundbar. For serious music though perhaps it's still possible to place an amp and speakers in a different position in the room?

vectra1

Standard Member
That changes things somewhat, certainly for watching the box. For that I would suggest a soundbar. For serious music though perhaps it's still possible to place an amp and speakers in a different position in the room?
I can keep my old system I have to play music on.
So you think the Yamaha soundbar would suffice?

gibbsy

I would think so. I'm not very informed on soundbars as I've never owned one but it may be worth posting a question here:

vectra1

Standard Member
OK
I have been in discussion with a sales guy in Richer Sounds over the past week or more, I am sure he must have the patience of a saint :rolleyes:
Anyhow,
We have come up with this setup.
What are your views on it?

Denon AVRX2600
Fyne Audio F300 X4 ( Front and rears )
Fyne Audio F300C (Centre)
Wharfdale Diamond SW150 Subwoofer.

Hoping to order this tomorrow,
If anyone can please advise me I would be very appreciative.
Thank you

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The kit list looks OK - what we haven't seen is a pic or the 'alcove' and your seating layout! No matter what kit you have if the layout is compromised so will the sound be.

Joe

vectra1

Standard Member
The kit list looks OK - what we haven't seen is a pic or the 'alcove' and your seating layout! No matter what kit you have if the layout is compromised so will the sound be.

Joe
Sorry Joe for not getting back sooner.
The alcove is literally the space to the right of my chimney breast, Just big enough to accommodate the 49" at an angle, I know this scenario is not the best, but the possibility is strong that I will modify the chimney breast and fit the tv and center speaker there.
So,
I went with the Denon AVR-X2600H
and
Dali Spektor 2 / 5.1 speakers

Trending threads

Top Bottom