advice and thoughts 2 receivers 4 tvs

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by jdunlo, Aug 9, 2012.

1. jdunlo

jdunlo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Just looking for a heads up on what to use and what not.
    Got 2 receivers 1 sky 1tecnomate and I'd like to connect them to 4screens.
    Currently using a HDMI matrix system which is just to unreliable. Its in a pub
    And I'd like to run everything via coaxial again. Thing is I can't find a reasonably priced matrix for coax. Basically I need to be able to show different games etc on each of the channels with an easy to use way of selecting what each tv shows via a switch of some sort

Thanks in advance

2. bow79

bow79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    okay I hope I have understood what you are saying. If you want to send everything by coax that is basically an aerial lead. So the TVs need to have analog tuners in.
    if they don't have analog tuners in each TV would need a box to create an analog signal. This could be an old video recorder.

Similarly your satellite boxes need to be able to transmit an analog signal down an aerial lead. If they do not have an output of this sort you would need to change the signal from the direct Sound and vision out to an aerial lead to signal. This can be done with an old video recorder.

Your boxes may have connections for an aerial lead but that could just be a loop through where they do not actually put the signal on to an aerial output.
    now you need to daisy chain all this together. So you set each of the satellite receivers to transmit on a different aerial output. So using an aerial lead it comes out of one into the next.

This output is then taken in turn to each of the TV sets using "Y" adapter at the back of each TV or anywhere else in the circuit you can take a spur off to another TV. Alternatively you can perhaps use something like an aerial amplifier one lead would go in but any number could come out.
    each TV would then be tuned using its normal tuner with each box being on a different number.
    If at any point in this setup an aerial input or output does not exist you can put it into an old video recorder.

So you would put an aerial input to the video tune it to that station and it would then output sound and vision via its direct Sound and vision outputs e.g. scart.
    Similarly having gotten a signal which has been put directly in Sound and vision into a video recorder, it will also come out on the aerial output of the video and can therefore be picked up by a TV. You may have to adjust the channel output number of the video so that various outputs are not at the same place the spectrum and interfere with each other.

3. jdunlo

jdunlo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the enlightening reply. Both receivers have RF out puts and all TVs have analogue inputs.
    Having digested your suggestions I'm thinking along the lines of to outputs from recievers to something that can then distribute to the TVs. Is there anything can receive to outputs and then distribute them to the 4 TVs. Please ignore my ignorance as I am not very technically minded

Thanks again

4. bow79

bow79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    if you connect an RF lead between them all, that would distribute it.
    if you wanted to do it without wires you could use to transmitters one on each satellite box and then each TV would have to have two receivers, so it could pick up either box. Both transmitters would have to be on different frequencies.

5. jdunlo

jdunlo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi thanks again for the reply. I think I'll stay clear of transmitters. I understand the basics of what you have suggested but still
    Confused lol. I'll explain how I see it. I run a coax cable from each receiver to a point that will take the 2 outputs. At this point
    I then run 4 cables one to each tv.. I call it a point because I have no idea what kind of distributor I'd need. Also how would I select which receiver to show on each tv. For example Olympics on 2 TVs and football on another one

Thanks

PS hope that makes sense lol

6. bow79

bow79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    when you plug a TV aerial into a TV all of the TV stations are there in different places and the TV tuner sorts them out on to a different number.

So the idea with this is a you would daisy chain both satellite boxes together.
    having set them to transmit on different channels. So for example satellite box 1 transmits its output on Channel 45. The RF lead from this thing goes to the input of the next satellite box. This box then adds its output on for example channel 55. This is then taken to a TV set. The TV's tuner then has two channels to tune into each of which is on a different button e.g. Channel one and channel 2. so it can tune to either satellite box. You will of course have to decide what channel each satellite box is receiving.
    Now imagine instead of taking this aerial lead just into the back of the television you plug it into a Y adapter. This would then let you continue the aerial lead to the next television, where you do the same, and so on.
    So each satellite box receiving a separate channel. Both of these would be transmitted to any TV sets that followed. Each TV set could then be tuned to either channel. So they could all be showing the same channel or the other channel in any combination.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,479
    Or you could work out why your HDMI distribution is currently unreliable - keep in mind a working HDMI solution is going to deliver a big step up in pic quality over RF.

What kit are you using? How long are the cable runs? What problems are you having?

Joe

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  8. jdunlo

jdunlo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To many problems to list lol. I like the idea of these y adapters seems within my capabilities.however where would I buy these from. Quick google left me confused

Thanks

9. bow79

bow79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    coax y adapter maplins less than £5 posibley from homebase b and q etc

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,479
    HDMI Distribution systems go to lots of Pubs, Clubs and Sports Bars - it shouldn't be problematic if you follow a few basic install rules and utilise the kit we recommend!

Where about are you - we can always put you in touch with a competent Installer with Commercial experience?

Joe

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2012