Advice and recommendations

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by lawrenso, Mar 8, 2006.

1. lawrenso

lawrenso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi et al,

I am looking to upgrade my current digital camera which is 4 years old - I have a few options listed below

1. Nikon D50 - DABS or Dixons - Buy now Pay later
    2. Cannon 350D - Dabs - Buy now pay later
    3. Nikon D70 + 18-70 DX lense + 70-300 G. All boxed with manuals. The equipment is in good condition and is 14 months old. Spare bat and 512mb CF inc. - £550 - 14 months old - but think I could possibly get it a bit lower than this

I have handled the Nikon in the shop and it feels better than the Canon, however, I found the menu system on the canon to be a bit more intuitive. However, if I did go for option 3 above, what are your thoughts on the lenses that come with it.

I did use to do SLR Photography - as well as developing as a teenager but this dropped by the wayside in my early 20's, and was a very keen Minolta fan back then.

Any help and pointers will be greatly appreciated

Steve

2. montybaber

montybaber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Number one you are at a split in the road and you must decide Canon or Nikon, this is very important as it does'nt matter which camera you get first it will determine the cameras you will buy for some time as it is likely you will get lenses/flashguns, accessories and you will not want to start over in a few years time.

I took the Nikon route and I am very happy so I can advise a little about these

Firstly the second hand D70, people new to DSLR's (like I am:) ) probably notice no difference between the two Nikons (obviously apart from size/weight/handling).

My brother has the d70 and I opted for the d50 (as I was very impressed with his) the d50 has less features than the d70 (like DOF preview etc) it may be the case that these functions will not cause any concern to you at all.

The d50 has a larger LCD screen and apparently supports faster USB transfer speeds, the d70 has a second scrollwheel.

I have heard the d50 is on sale for £320 body only which is a huge bargain, not knowing what sort of photography you will be concentrating on it is hard to recommend lenses

With The second hand d70 the 18-70mm kit lens is very good indeed ( I borrow my brothers when I can) I have seen it for sale at around £190, the 70-300 is a cheap lens (I am sure I have the right lens) and the reviews I have seen have had poor(sh) results, this lens is £99 in some places.

If you are happy getting a S/H camera then the d70 will give you a great package with no other outlay to think about like SD cards etc but think about how many shots he has taken in the 14months and lack of warranty etc that comes with it.

You can get a d50 with the d50 kit lens (18-55mm which some people really like) for around £400 this along with a SD card will be around the £450 area but you will have some comeback if things go wrong,

If you are after a good allround lens with more focal length then you could go with the package I went with, d50 + AF-G 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IF ED for £490 but a little lacking at the wide end

Or You could go for the d50 with the 50mm f1.8 prime that everybody absolutely loves (and the images dont lie) for around £400 and use your feet rather than zoom, this package although not ideal will allow you to get a feel for the camera and establish what lens/lenses you want without having to replace anything (the nifty fifty is a keeper)

And theres the Canon... personally I like Canon and I know i'm certainly not alone :D but the 350d felt wrong in my hands, but I have to live with the fact that I will not be able to have one of those pretty white lenses though:)

i'm afraid its not easy, grope of all your choices a bit more and go with what feels right to you, just enjoy it! you are spending a lot of money remember, a lot of people get worried about what to get but it should be an enjoyable experience:smashin:

Hope i've been a little help, just about everybody else on here will know a great deal more than me but I felt as a beginner to DSLR myself I would reply

good luck, keep us posted

3. lawrenso

lawrenso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi Montybaber

thanks for that excellent reply. One of the main reasons I want to go down the DSLR route is my children - I would like to undertake a Study of them for the next 18 years or so. I know some people will be saying pass the sick bag but I say what the hell. What I would really like is to get some good shots - good enough to hang on the wall/convert to canvas prints etc.... I must admit, I am swaying towards the "newneww" of the D50 camera with all the added that you get - but then again, I am a sucker for a bargain!!!!

Where are some good places to get hold of the Nifty Fifty - because even if I go with the D70 - I have read other reviews where this lens has been mentioned - and would want it as part of my "stock".

The shame is, if it hadn't of been for Minolta selling out (twice :eek: ) I would not of had any qualms about going with them, as I mentioned in my previous post, in my far and distant SLR past, this manufacturer was my weapon of choice back then and the 5D has some excellent reviews along with it's AS technology. I know Sony are going to be producing them in the future, but knowing Sony, they will put a good markup on them and lenses etc.. just for their name:mad:

with your comments on the 350D - I know what you mean - it did not sit right in my hand - and I don't have overly large hands - it looks like Canon sacrificed paper dimentsions for real world feel - and making the grip smaller has affected the feel of it - I think if it wasn't for that I would be the proud owner of a 350D now - but you don't wear small shoes for long do you before you go and get a pair that fit properly (now that's a proverb :rotfl: )

Cheers

Steve

4. montybaber

montybaber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Seems like a great reason to get back into photography, another consideration is the d50 has a new Child Mode which enhances the colour of young skin tones (apparently).

As for the nifty try here http://www.onestop-digital.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=24_27
    I havent used them so I cant recommend them but the price looks :cool:

There is no doubt that the 350d is an awesome piece of kit but I was dissapointed with the feel of it when compared to the Nikon (considering the difference in price too)

Obviously you are looking longterm, my plan was to start with the d50 and learn along with buying the best quality lenses/accessories along the way and when I get the urge to upgrade cameras (to say a d200 ) I have the glass, flashgun, tripod, etc to compliment it.

5. Magslad

Magslad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I agree that the kids are a great reason to go the DSLR route, this was one of my main reasons for doing so.

The Nikon/Canon debate will go on and on (even though the Nikon owners know they're right:devil: ), but for my two'penneth I went the D50 route after feeling both of them and trying out my friend's 350D. Just felt right, and I couldn't see any discernible difference in quality between the two kits (at least not to my untrained eye). Havnig said that, no doubt that the 350D is a very good piece of kit.

I've found the Kids mode on the D50 really useful - there is a massive difference when comparing it against the images I took on my point and shoot camera. I'm sure the images can be improved even further over time (the only main point against the D50 is that I'm not especially impressed with the auto-white balance under artificial light), but it allows you to take some great piccies of the kids immediately, whilst you learn over time how to get the best from the camera's multitude of possible settings.

6. lawrenso

lawrenso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks for your replies guys - well went into Curries in Chester tonight - held the 350 and the D50 - Still did not like the feel of the 350 - so decided to go for the 50D and showed interest in a £200 pound lens they had there - asked if they could do something towards their internet price and discount voucher code - and the lad went over to the manager - who just went no and walked off - and guess what - I am a very good impersonator and done a perfect copy of him :D :rotfl: :D

I know the Dixons on Broughton retail park will do this for £429 with no pushing - should I try for the £25 voucher code discount as well. :confused:

I was thinking of just getting the body - but then looked at the price of the Kit Lens the comes with it standalone - and was amazed that it was @140 :eek: so I have decided I might as well get it.

Cheers

Lawrenso

7. lawrenso

lawrenso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
  8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,523
    IMO buying the 350D would be a big mistake if you don't find it comfortable to handle - and I say that as a 350D owner.
    I personally really liked the feel of the 350D and compared it to the D70 (D50 hadn't been released at this point) and much prefered the smaller lighter Canon and also thought there was more chance I would carry it around than a bigger, heavier camera. But if for you the 350D doesn't feel right then there is more chance that you will leave it at home.

Mark.

9. lawrenso

lawrenso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Cheers Mark - I do know what you mean - anyway it was such a good price on that Cannon it was snapped up in under 2 hours!!! - I am going to carry on perservering with trying to get the 50D around the 410 mark with the Kit Lens - also checking ebay's just listed items for things like that

Cheers

Lawrenso:smashin: