Advice and recommendation needed for a new av receiver.

hype_male

Hi all,

Just sold my sony str dh800 and looking to upgrade to a midrange 3d receiver.

So far, I have read review on Onkyo 509 and the 609, yamaha 1067 and the rx-767. I have also looked at the pioneer vsx 921.

I know the onkyo 509 is probably the weakest link of the av receivers (above) and I can stretch to about £500 but what is drawing me to the onkyo 509 apart from been cheap is that for example,

My current setup is 5.1 and the room is 16 feet by 9 feet. Although i will upgrade speakers in a year or so but the current speakers am using at the moment are the acoustic solution: AV -120 mk2 as front, the acoustic solution av as centre and the AV- 20 as surround and bk geni as subwoofer. Again am only gonna need about four hdmi input so the extra hdmi on the likes of onkyo 609 and the yamaha 1067 would be point to me. Although the 2 hdmi output on the yamaha would be useful

This is why am holding back as to spending £500 on new receiver when I may not use all features on an expensive receiver or that my current set up wont benefit from like using the sporty on the

Even i wont need sportify on the onkyo as i can use the ethnet cable for only radio. I have hold read the onkyo 609 (not sure about 509) have issues such as getting too hot. The advice i got from here when i bought my str dh800 i just sold was when buying a receiver buy for future proof but better av receiver are realeased every year.

P.S: Am typing fast as am rushing for work so apology for any spelling mistakes.

I have put my dilemma to you guys please advice me or make recommend.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom