Advice: amp to power ceiling speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by LaForge, Jul 13, 2015.

1. LaForge

LaForge
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking for some advice on what setup I should have in my new extension.

I recently purchased 8x Adastra 6.5inch ceiling speakers thinking that it would be a simple thing to set up. How wrong was I.

I need some advice on what amp to get to power the speakers. The spec is:

16.5cm (6.5") Woofer
    165mm (6.5") Tweeter
    20mm (0.75") Frequency response 60Hz - 20kHz Impedance
    8 ohms Power max
    100W Power rms

Also, should I get a sub to go in the system as well or will the speakers provide enough bass?

I'm not looking to spend a huge amount of money on it, but would like a decent sound output.

Would appreciate any help on this.
    Thanks

2. Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Are you looking for a Stereo system or do you want some form of surround sound - 8 speakers is a bit of a weird number.

For a stereo system you would need to wire 4 speakers in such a way that they still present an 8 Ohm load to the amp - something like this will do :

[​IMG]
    As they are connected above and R is the Total Load 1/R = 1/(8+8) + 1/(8+8) = 2/16 therefore R - 16/2 or 8 Ohms load.

I'd probably add a sub as I can't see much bass coming from these speakers - will be like walking around in a shop with piped music - you don't get bass in shops do you?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  3. LaForge

LaForge
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply.

This is for a stereo system so intake your point about the bass.

Would have have any suggestions on what amp I could get to run this setup? I'm not looking to spend loads of money, £500 tops if possible.

4. Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Don't really know much about Stereo amps and creating a 2.1 system - better if someone else gets involved here I think.

5. masopa

masopa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I'll be honest and say I don't really understand why you want 8 speakers instead of two! One of the lovely things about stereo is the stereo image the speakers create by virtue of being two sources of sound, which are designed to blend into a harmonic soundstage.

You have 8 speakers delivering two channels, which means you're spreading the L and R images across a much wider area.

How will it sound in different room positions? How will you manage phase and timing on the same channel? I would be really concerned about "smearing" the sound across a wide area.

Sorry to be negative but I'm not sure what you really want?!?

6. LaForge

LaForge
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The speakers are in the ceiling in a large kitchen/dining/lounge type room. One of the reasons for more that two is so that I can have a pair in each "zone" with some by the patio doors to hear music outside. I may not use all 8, six may be sufficient, but I want to be able to hear the music with having to turn the volume up 'loud'.
    What I would like help on is how to set this up, what amp to get to power it and how to get the best sound out of the system.

It's just for playing music, not surroundsound.
    Thanks