Advice adding active sub to Denon MCD-R39DAB

orangebox

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Looking for some advice.

I finally got my Minx XL bookshelf Cambridge audio speakerssetup with my Denon M39. The problem is my Sub a Minx x300 is an active sub and I want the sub to work in the correct range and handle the crossover.

My M39 only has one output available named sub and I'm running this with a single lead to the single LFE on the sub.

Does anyone know if I get a splitter or a male (M39) to male/male (sub input) the crossover will work?

I'm unsure what the best option is with the equipment. I can't see any info in the M39 menu that suggests anything can be changed.

Thanks

Mike.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211130-195245_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20211130-195245_eBay.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 20211130_192626.jpg
    20211130_192626.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Set the sub to around 60Hz and 0 degree phase. With the volume very low.

Connect the DM to the red input, not the lfe.

Then play some songs you’re used to with a decent but not monstrous bassline, and at your normal listening volume, and adjust the volume on the sub until you’re happy with it.

The Minx XL speakers should hit 60Hz in room easily so you may find that you need to turn down the bass frequency cut off, to say 55Hz, possibly less.

It may be that you need to increase the bass cut off frequency, depending on the positioning of the LX speakers.

Once you’re happy that you have a good blend of volume and cut off frequency, then turn down the sub volume a fraction.

If the amp only has one rca sub output then it is likely to be a combined left/right mono signal. Plugging this into the red rca input on the sub will feed it with the signal it needs. If the m39 has no sub control (level and/or cut off frequency) the usual process is to set the main speakers to your normal listening level. The Minx XL have a stated range down to 50hz (assume this is F6 or even F10) so I would set the sub cut off frequency just above this at say 80hz and then increase the sub volume until it is just discernible, then back it off slightly. If the sub is a similar distance as the main speakers from the listening position keep the phase at zero.

Just a few pointers that I use to set up my subs.

Edit - @Paul7777x beat me to it.

Thanks fellas I'm getting some tinkering done tomorrow while working from home. People willing to help others on this forum never fails to amaze me, I'll update how I get on.

My excitement has been dashed, upon disconnecting the cable from the sub, it started to make a a noise like an untuned radio whether a cable was attached or not.

I remember buying it used and the cable was attached to LFE and he said it needed to be on that port. I placed them in the garage as I was plastering the room and the speakers and sub stank of weed 😂. I don't judge but I don't want my family thinking I'm having some sort of return to my youth. It was that bad I cleaned the speakers today and my hands still smell a bit like Bob Marley's track jacket.

I think the sub has sadly been broken when I bought it months ago, but rigged in a way where LFE was somehow working, it won't work now.

On reading it sounds like it could be the crossover board, does anyone have experience of this?

I'm going to speak to richer sounds in the morning and see if they can help me out. The only consolation is that I paid £150 for the lot including stands.

Last edited:
Have you tried the cable on the LFE input (White) instead, then you can use the crossover in the Denon to adjust what passes to the Sub.

Just make sure you have the cable and switches switched correctly on the woofer. Forced on may need to be applied, The main power obviously and the white LFE input ( as mentioned above which is usually the left input and is in this case). The dials should be around 50% on each and then adjust accordingly afterwards. The Phase dial can be set to 0 and if it sounds odd, then turn the dial so that the sound sounds as though it coming between the two speakers

You will usually find that most woofers are connected internally as the woofer is a mono product, so using a y-splitter on the outside isn't really warranted unless the manufacturer says different

As you are experiencing unwanted effects, it could be that the microprocessor has been upset with all the fiddling and it might need a reset. This can be done by pressing the Source and Back Skip on the main unit (not remote), to be sure, look at the manual on page 26 and be aware that this will reset everything, so if you have anything stored, it will be lost

If the woofer is making an unwanted noise by itself when powered on without being plugged into the Denon, then it will not be the microprocessor in the Denon and a reset will not be required. If the woofer is faulty, we have a great selection of brand new sealed boxed woofers starting from around £149

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, yes it was going crazy even with no cables plugged in, it' in for repair now. Having spoken to the tech he says it "sounds like a fault at the output stage". He's confident it can be fixed.

I just have to wait for it to be returned now.

Have you tried the cable on the LFE input (White) instead, then you can use the crossover in the Denon to adjust what passes to the Sub.

As far as I know there is no x-over in the DM series for the sub output.

Thanks for the reply, yes it was going crazy even with no cables plugged in, it' in for repair now. Having spoken to the tech he says it "sounds like a fault at the output stage". He's confident it can be fixed.

I just have to wait for it to be returned now.

Bad news when you think you have a bargain. 😔

But a simple repair, if it turns out to be that, shouldn’t kill the wallet too severely.

As far as I know there is no x-over in the DM series for the sub output.
I think they mean on the subwoofer as you have a red and white input :)

Circuit board from the sub has now been repaired and received back. I'm looking forward to getting it reinstalled & setup when I finish work.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom