1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice about on screen graphics with CRTs

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Paulherb, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi everyone,
    I've owned various LCD projectors over the years and have always had lots of fun playing Video Games on them. Playing Quake3 is great on a 8 foot wide screen. I have since up graded my projector to a CRT and have a few questions about burn in.

1. Will playing games on my CRT damage the unit. i.e health meter, No of lives, Score etc.

2. All of the channels (Sky One etc) have some kind of branding, will they cause burn in.

3. I was watching some darts the other day and they have a very big on screen graphic showing score etc. will this damage my CRT.

The list goes on, what about Football scores!

Any help would be most welcome.

Cheers

Paulh.

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Any image projected for a long period of time can cause burn in to the CRT face. (LCD and DLP can become polarised too)

The bigest risk damage is having the contrast turned up too high if you are going to play loads of games with the same settings then turn it down a bit.
    But the real killer would be to used them on a 4x3 image within a 16x9 screen. that way you apply all the power of the projector to about 1/4 of the phosphor area

Most PC games but these damage areas outside the 16x9 area so make sure that if you are a manic gamer to use the full 4x3 screen.

All this sounds scarry but I have only had to replace one tube due to a TV/game image the rest have just been good old wear and tear.

Hope that helps

The damage will tend to come from thousands of hours use rather than hundreds.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    They are the same as a TV. Leave contrast at 100 and play a game for a day on your normal TV and you'll get burn in....

Alternatively use sensible contrast and brightness settings and don't play games or watch the same channel for 3 or 4 hrs at a time and you'll be OK. One of the guys at SS left our projector on over the weekend with the menu of a DVD playing. No burn in as the unit is set up properly. I also know of another shop that did this and trashed all three tubes on theirs.....Obviously not set up right......

I'm ordering an Xbox and it will only be used on my projectors so I feel quite confident about this...

Gordon

4. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for your advice lads.

Gordon i've got an Xbox, got a US one over the web from DragonCA. I've been playing a bit of Halo on my CRT and it looks the biz.

Cheers

Paulh.