• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advertised price?

pave

Banned
Was in currys yesterday,having alook around,saw a lg 60" plasma with a advertised price at £3,750.....

Thought, that can't be right..on there web site it is over £6,000,so ,i was wondering....
How would i stand if i said i wanted it at the advertised shop price..was tempted to ask,but did'nt know my rights...
 

Nick_UK

Banned
You can't force anyone to sell you something at a displayed price. In law it's called "an invitation to treat".
 

pave

Banned
Thanks for that,glad i did'nt ask:thumbsup:

learnt something new:)
 

Nick_UK

Banned
It's always worth asking...... you never know, it could be the right price, and they're getting rid of old stock. It's the discretion of the sales person to let you have it at that price.
 

pave

Banned
I'll pop in next week to ask,....but.....i must not buy ....i must not buy....i must not buy......:D
 

Mrs AutomanUK

Established Member
We reported Curry's to our local trading standards because they were advertising the same fridge that we had bought in a different Curry's, for a lesser price, and when I presented the price match guarantee that they had given me, they physically ripped up the ticket from the front of this cheaper same model fridge and looked at me as if to say, what ticket? The counter staff were so rude, and although I was quoting their own guarantee they were not prepared to stand by it. Trading standards wrote them a stern letter and I got the monitory difference back. Trading standards said that they frequently have to take curry's to the cleaners over putting tickets on that are cheaper and then trying to sell for more. I dare say that some on the forum would say that you would be considered a thief for buying it knowing it should be 3K more though.. lol ! :eek: Not me though, I say go for it and take your nearest and dearest on a nice holiday with the rest of the money it should have cost !! :D
 

eddidaz

Established Member
It would be well worth asking.

Likelihood is, either they wouldn't notice so you'll get it cheaper, or they might sell it you cheaper as a gesture of goodwill, since it was their mistake, although this might not be as likely for such an expensive product.
 

pave

Banned
sean5302 said:
We can remove the temptation for you, pave.

Just tell us all where you saw it and I guarantee it won't be there when you next go in.
It was in currys in brentford.....was going to go back today...but had to go shopping with the wife and mum:( ......bought shoes and a t-shirt....:D
 

Nick_UK

Banned
Mrs AutomanUK said:
We reported Curry's to our local trading standards because they were advertising the same fridge that we had bought in a different Curry's, for a lesser price, and when I presented the price match guarantee that they had given me, they physically ripped up the ticket from the front of this cheaper same model fridge and looked at me as if to say, what ticket? The counter staff were so rude, and although I was quoting their own guarantee they were not prepared to stand by it. Trading standards wrote them a stern letter and I got the monitory difference back. Trading standards said that they frequently have to take curry's to the cleaners over putting tickets on that are cheaper and then trying to sell for more. I dare say that some on the forum would say that you would be considered a thief for buying it knowing it should be 3K more though.. lol ! :eek: Not me though, I say go for it and take your nearest and dearest on a nice holiday with the rest of the money it should have cost !! :D

I wouldn't shop in Currys/Dixons/PCWorld - I'd rather go without. They are rude, patronising liars.
 

Slipperystevens

Established Member
Nick_UK said:
I wouldn't shop in Currys/Dixons/PCWorld - I'd rather go without. They are rude, patronising liars.

I do my best to avoid these sorts of places, too. They generally know **** all about the products and will say anything they think you want to hear, just to make a sale.

I find most of the big name chains are the same!
 

Nick_UK

Banned
Slipperystevens said:
..... I find most of the big name chains are the same!

I hope you don't include John Lewis in that - they are excellent :smashin:
 

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom