Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Adventures with a BenQ PB6100 + Prismsonic Anamorphic Lens

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cyberheater, Jun 3, 2005.

1. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    My projector is a BenQ PB6100 DLP machine with a resolution of 800 x 600 which is 4:3 aspect ratio.

I've been thinking of upgrading for a while and still haven't seen widescreen DLP projectors in my price range (sub 1000 quid - at least) so I decided to see if I could do something about that.

I Managed to get a great price on ebay for a Prismsonic anamorphic lens. Which is designed to convert a 4:3 projector to a 16:9. The lens is a vertical anamorphic type which means your normal projected width stays the same but it squeezes the image vertically.

I use a 2 metre wide pull down blackout blind for a screen (did have a 'proper' one but actually prefered the 20 ikea blind for contrast and colour. Go figure).

Benefits:-

The main benefit for a anamorphic lens is that you use all the DLP panel resolution for movie watching which gives you more 20 % more light and 33% higher vertical resolution with no black bars for 16:9 films.

Installation:-

I finally got it today and gave it a go. It's not exactly installed yet cause i'm using books etc... to get the right height for the PJ to shine properly into the lens. Once i've got the setup dimensions sorted out, i'll build something more permanent (in a year or two knowing me ;))

My PJ is mounted upside down on a high shelve at the rear of the room.

I did manage to try it out for a short while but i'm waiting for it to get darker to give it a real good go.

First impressions:-

So far, very positive. It does exactly what it says on the tin. It's converted my 4:3 PJ to 16:9.
    I'm impressed with the image quality. The image seems to have more snap, probably due to the extra brightness and it's dramatically reduced SDE, actually now invisible from where I normally sit.
    The colours somehow seem more vibrant and the lack of black bars makes a huge difference in perceived contrast ratio.

Piccies:-

Here are some snaps. I'll post more of the screen after i've watched a few movies. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,714
  3. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Can you believe it. My tosh sd340 dvd player is now acting up and refuses to get passed dvd menu stage.

It could be new dvd time.

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,714
  5. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Okay. My dvd player has made somewhat of a recovery (possibly short lived) and i've managed to watch some films.

No more piccies yet as i'm too busy watching movies :)

I have to say i'm really impressed. Pearl Harbour was stunning. The move to 16:9 format and the extra screen rez / brightness has really made a huge difference.

It's all so much more 3-d. It's like getting an upgraded projector. I'm amazed what a difference there is. The biggest surprise is how more saturated the colours are. I wasn't expecting that and I still can't figure out in my head why that should be the case.

The lens also seems to make the image look more like it's comming from a cinema projector rather then a digital machine. The image seems somehow more solid (probably due to the lack of SDE).

I'm also surprised that projecter manufacturers don't offer a panamorphic lens attachment as an optional extra.

One thing i'm toying with is getting a Samsung HD747 dvd player. One of it's features is that it has a screen fit function that remove the top and bottom black bars and stretches the movie vertically.

The prismsonic lens has a variable anamorphic adjustment which means I should be able to set it up to display 2.35:1 movies using the full screen panel. It should look awesome.

Awesome...

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,714
    I had similar results with my HT1000 and its Optimorph lens which is made specifically for the NEC.

I think the colour saturation is because you're putting 600 lines of colour (opticaly compressed) onto the screen, whereas before, you were putting 450 lines into the same area (lines were being removed to get the aspect ratio correct). This might account for the overall improvements that you're seeing.

Any barrel distortion at the edges with this lens at all?

I take it this is going to be a permanent addition then? :)

Gary.

7. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Yeah. I was wondering if it might be something to do with pouring more colour pixels onto the screen. It's the best theory at the mo.

No barrel distortion that I can detect. In fact. I thought I would notice some form of visual/chromatic abberations but nothings popping out at me which is a good sign.

And yes. It's staying. Worth every penny.

8. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,714
    Yep, unless someone can come up with a better one, but I like this one too. :)

I think the aberation (if present) is normaly present at the extremes i.e more at the sides than in the middle, or top and bottom if it's a horizontal stretch IIRC.

If you can't see them then it's either very minor or just not there.

Sounds like a great lens and in your case, fantastic value.

Gary.