Adventure Games

I was going to try Disco Elysium; maybe on a console as I don't think my PC could handle it. Adventure is a niche genre of gaming. Those like myself who enjoyed the 90's boom of point n clicks seem to still play them. It's mainly indie developers now keeping the genre alive but it does still have a solid fan base.

I did see that Trüberbrook - looks good.

Currently playing Syberia (first one). Never played it before.

Syberia took me a while to get into, but once I did it was a decent game, lovely visuals. The second game was good too, the third was the classic case of changing game mechanics for the worse and I didn't quite get into it

Right - finally completed Syberia. Clocked around 18 hours! The artwork is gorgeous from the late Benoît Sokal, loved the rich storyline and voice acting. However, I wasn't a fan of the gameplay; little things like the inventory, odd ways to engage in conversation, use of red herrings etc. But overall, decent game. I'll give part 2 a try but fancy a break from that world.

Going properly old-school next. I've lined up Loom by Lucasarts. One of the few early point n clicks by Lucasarts that I've not played.

I've had a bit of stint recently:

The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav - Slow start, but a cracking story by the end with some inventive puzzles along the way

Chaos on Deponia - another fun deponia game with a neat triple personality twist. Quite like the nod and wink to the player in these games

The Night of the Rabbit - Feels like a kids story, but some puzzles need some thought, about half way through and enjoying it..

The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav - Slow start, but a cracking story by the end with some inventive puzzles along the way

Chaos on Deponia - another fun deponia game with a neat triple personality twist. Quite like the nod and wink to the player in these games

The Night of the Rabbit - Feels like a kids story, but some puzzles need some thought, about half way through and enjoying it..

Thanks - I see that Chaos on Deponia is currently on sale so might try to nab that.

The Dark Eye looks amazing. Added to my wishlist.

The last adventure game I played was The Cave and I can recommend that if anyone hasn't played it. Even better if you get it in a sale.

The last adventure game I played was The Cave and I can recommend that if anyone hasn't played it. Even better if you get it in a sale.

Thanks - I see Ron Gilbert of Monkey Island fame is at the helm. How have I never heard of this? Added to my wishlist.

Chains of satinav is one I have replayed a few times ,if you like that story you have to play the sequel Memoria, its excellent IMO

Chains of satinav is one I have replayed a few times ,if you like that story you have to play the sequel Memoria, its excellent IMO
I bought Memoria first, then thought I best play Satinav after realising it was related. Looking forward to playing Memoria, just giving it a break before diving back in..

Just noticed that Memoria is on sale at the moment in Steam. £1.69

Right - finally completed Syberia. Clocked around 18 hours! The artwork is gorgeous from the late Benoît Sokal, loved the rich storyline and voice acting. However, I wasn't a fan of the gameplay; little things like the inventory, odd ways to engage in conversation, use of red herrings etc. But overall, decent game. I'll give part 2 a try but fancy a break from that world.

Going properly old-school next. I've lined up Loom by Lucasarts. One of the few early point n clicks by Lucasarts that I've not played.

Has Loom ever had a gfx update? I liked it back in the day but not sure I could play it now.

Has Loom ever had a gfx update? I liked it back in the day but not sure I could play it now.

Yes but not for a while. I think it existed in a 16-colour version before being upgraded to the 256-colour talkie version. By today's standards it looks very dated.

219477185_1190415618052379_8489568119027039373_n.jpg

Big lucasarts fan, cut my teeth in adventure games on the likes of loom. Also a big fan of Sierra and they "quest" series of games, played through each many times

On a slight tangent I was digging through some boxes and found a spectrum emulation cd (a legal one bought from hmv about 20yrs ago). Looking on it there was a folder for level 9 adventure games. Not sure I could play a text adventure now. It also had both the hobbit and bored of the rings

That's what I thought, how are you getting on with it?

I've put maybe an hour or so into it. Despite the dated graphics, I quite like the whole pixel-art look. I'm still sussing out the gameplay though. So conventional adventure game instructions such as "open" or "use" are achieved by playing a musical instrument on the character's staff (see images below).

I'm playing in expert mode which awards gamers with a supposed extra cut scene. But it makes it very difficult as the musical notes are hidden! I studied standard grade music in school so have a little musical knowledge.

It helps if you have a pen and paper as you learn the various commands. For example I've figured out that playing the notes "E, C, E, D" opens an item. But as I'm playing in expert mode, I have to guess where those notes are on the staff.

Lots of trial and error. Haven't gotten very far. But the setting is really nice, the opening cut scene draws you into the world. I like the voice acting and music so far. I can tell this is going to be difficult though...

Expert Mode (musical notes hidden)
mqdefault.jpg

Standard Mode (musical notes shown)
Loom_interface_screenshot.png

I've put maybe an hour or so into it. Despite the dated graphics, I quite like the whole pixel-art look. I'm still sussing out the gameplay though. So conventional adventure game instructions such as "open" or "use" are achieved by playing a musical instrument on the character's staff (see images below).

I'm playing in expert mode which awards gamers with a supposed extra cut scene. But it makes it very difficult as the musical notes are hidden! I studied standard grade music in school so have a little musical knowledge.

It helps if you have a pen and paper as you learn the various commands. For example I've figured out that playing the notes "E, C, E, D" opens an item. But as I'm playing in expert mode, I have to guess where those notes are on the staff.

Lots of trial and error. Haven't gotten very far. But the setting is really nice, the opening cut scene draws you into the world. I like the voice acting and music so far. I can tell this is going to be difficult though...

Expert Mode (musical notes hidden)
View attachment 1547426

Standard Mode (musical notes shown)
View attachment 1547428
I completed it back in the day and really enjoyed it. I would be a total novice now though as I can't remember too much about it. Not played an adventure game in a while either.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
highly recommend the remaster of Grim Fandango too, one of the best lucasarts games in terms of the story and comedy

I played Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle remasters in recent years, enjoyed both.

Also remember enjoying the Cave, but don't recall it being stellar, I think it ran out of steam as it went on, but certainly nice to see something a little different in its approach.

BTW, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition is currently free on Amazon Prime gamer, which I've just bagged. Can't recall if I've played it, but will give it a spin at some point for old time sake.

"Little Big Adventure - Twinsens Adventure" - once blew my mind.:) However, I haven't completed 2nd title.

Discworld series, i only played the 1st game which i honestly can't remember much about it(talking 20+ years ago) but i know i completed it so must have been good fun if i did.

I played Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle remasters in recent years, enjoyed both.

Also remember enjoying the Cave, but don't recall it being stellar, I think it ran out of steam as it went on, but certainly nice to see something a little different in its approach.

BTW, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition is currently free on Amazon Prime gamer, which I've just bagged. Can't recall if I've played it, but will give it a spin at some point for old time sake.

Some more available on Amazon Prime Gamer:

Offer ends Sept 1st.

I've not heard of Secret Files Tunguska before but it seems to have a Broken Sword kinda vibe to it.

Prime.png

I've noticed that Simon the Sorcerer 3D is now available on Steam.

I remember it looking dated when it was released but I do like the franchise and the British style of humour and writing. I never did complete it but wouldn't mind playing it, as I recently completed parts 1 and 2.

I've noticed that Simon the Sorcerer 3D is now available on Steam.

I remember it looking dated when it was released but I do like the franchise and the British style of humour and writing. I never did complete it but wouldn't mind playing it, as I recently completed parts 1 and 2.

Isn't the 3rd one meant to be pretty poor in terms of control? They tried to go 3D and it just didn't work well
There was a monkey island game did similar but done it better

Isn't the 3rd one meant to be pretty poor in terms of control? They tried to go 3D and it just didn't work well
There was a monkey island game did similar but done it better

Agreed. From memory it was very awkward, very dated. Particularly when the likes of grim fandango, monkey Island 4, discworld noir had far better graphics and gameplay.

Thanks to l the replies. I love point and click adventure games and used this thread to buy 8 or so games yesterday.

In my haste I accidently bought 2 copies of The Dark Eye. Chains of Satinav.

I've put the spare copy up here for a grand total of 50p if anyone else is also in to this genre and fancies checking it out.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom