Advent X19TV - Anybody know of in\outputs

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Hodsy, Aug 26, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Hodsy

Hodsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,
    first post so I hope I am in the right place.

I am quite tempted by the Advent X19TV widescreen lcd-tv to go in the bedroom. PC World + Dixons have it for £164.99 online.
    I am not sure if its a pc monitor with tuner rather than an lcd-tv. Is this something I need to look out for hence the price !

Looking through their specs, even googling I cannot find the exact spec.Advent dont seem to have a website either Wondering what Scart connectors etc it has, if any. Store pick up at pcworld shows none in stock near me - otherwise i could drive to a store and check. Dixons is now online only so no luck there either.

Any help appreciated or even other models someone may know to recommend as a cheap bedroom lcd (widescreen and 17" minimum)

2. bigb

bigb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I saw this tv in PC World Stirling and very impressed with the value. Thinking of buying one for my son's bedroom. Salesman said it's a new model

3. shemau

shemau
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I saw one of these in PC World. It is the 19" widescreen monitor with a TV tuner on the VESA mount.

The TV tuner has an infared remote receive which sticks up above the top of the monitor. On one side it has an RF input and DC power input. On the bottom it has two D sub connectors (presumably PC graphics pass through) and on the other side it has three RCA (yellow/red/white presumably video, left/right stereo audio) and two smaller 2.5mm/3.5 mm connectors (presumably PC sounds pass through).
    The monitor had power (240V three pin PC power connector) and D-sub for graphics. I didn't notice audio input... but it must have had one.

The PC was hooked straight into the monitors D-sub, so the rest of this is guess work.

It would make sense that you wire up the tuner to the monitor with D-Sub and audio cables. Then you have three choices:-
    1. Analog TV input via the RF. Possible via a VCR.
    2. DVD or Digital box via the RCAs.
    3. PC via the D-sub on the tuner/audio on the tuner.

Forgot to mention, the TV tuner itself had a VESA mount so the whole thing could still be wall mounted.
    Also it will take two power sockets, since the monitor and tuner are powered independantly.

4. bigb

bigb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    thanks for your info but given up on it as PC World have no stock in our area and haven't a clue when they will arrive!!

5. Bravo2zero_sps

Bravo2zero_sps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got one of these today and its a fantastic monitor for the PC and am managing to get the 360 to display at 1200x1024 currently.

However using the Xbox 360 vga cable how do you get sound??? The RCA socets are for use in the TV mode so no use when being used as a monitor/Xbox 360 screen :confused:

6. crazyman50000

crazyman50000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've bought one for £170 from PC World.

Complete lack of reviews on the internet so here are my views:
    + A good widescreen 19" display for your PC up to 1440 x 900 pixels
    + A good, cheap combo if you don't have room for 2 displays.
    - Blurry / fuzzy TV picture (particularly around red on black back ground)
    - No built in speakers
    - PS2 works fine but very fuzzy on 50HZ and 60HZ modes on the PS2. Not even changing the refresh rate on the TV menu helped.
    - A lot of fast, rich animation (such as on Soulcalibur 3) began introducing interlacing artifacts on the screen
    - Gamecube was also very fuzzy on 50 HZ mode but 60 hz mode...
    - NO SUPPORT FOR GAMECUBE 60HZ MODE! I tried this with PAL Super smash brothers. 50HZ is playable but 60hz - the reds go to yellow, loads of interlacing artifacts at either TV selected refresh rates. Very poor. This wouldn't be a problem if all the games were 50HZ - but Metroid Prime 2 is 60hz only meaning this LCD PC/TV monitor can't handle the game at all. The same goes for NTSC imports (as Action replay converts the signal from NTSC 60 hz to PAL 60) again, colours are all out and interfacing artifacts - even on Animal Crossing.
    -Sound can sound distorted when on full (I have a 40W 2.1 set, I turned them right down, turned the TV right up and turned the 2.1 set up slowly. Sounded tinny and distorted even at low volume on the 2.1 set. Note : 2.1 set used is a Logitech set off ebuyer I got for about £25. Never had any complaints with them)

My verdict (summary)

An excellent PC monitor and ok for watching TV. But Im pretty sure PC world are selling a 17" square Samsung for the same price which Ill be exchanging the advent for tommorow.

The TV aspect of it is dissapointing. I even tried the aerial downstairs which I have a 28" widescreen CRT and the channels were still fuzzy on this Advent. They're usually very sharp and clear on the crt. Not to mention the fuziness of console input and those Gamecube 60hz problems. Having said that, I put on Serenity (DVD) through my Yamada DVX-6700 through it and the picture was very clear.

Recommended : Yes if you have a small space and just want a simple, TV/PC monitor combo.

Connections :
    2 x 3.5MM male to 3.5MM male cables (approx 1.5M each)
    2 x vga to vga cable (one for connecting a pc - 2m approx, one going from the TV tuner to the screen - 15cm approx)
    2 x power cables (one for TV, one for screen - 3m approx each)
    1 x female coaxial (on monitor)
    1 x female AV in (red / yellow / white connections, again on monitor)

Misc :
    Remote included w/ battery
    Desktop stand
    TV tuner (this is effectively a 19" widescreen tft w/ a TV tuner bolted to it)
    2 x instruction books (1 for screen, 1 for tuner)

There is NO HDTV support. NO HDMI in. NO component input. No progressive scan support (Ive tested it, monitor only goes up to 75HZ.)

Hope that answers most of the questions about this.

7. madc

madc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all is this comparable to the samsung 940mw question is which one to go for

8. madc

madc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    crazy man did you swap for the samsung if so how much better is it and also how is it for playing games on

9. CraftyAnn

CraftyAnn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - Have just purchased an AdventX19TV (mainly because of the great price at PC World £159.99).

However, can anyone who has one please enlighten me on how to edit channel numbers. The instructions are fine down to the final instruction to "press Vol +, before pressing menu 3 times" to come out of mode - pressing the vol +, rather than confirming your selection, puts the channel up by one number, thus undoing all you have selected.

Have tried every combination of "Prog." and "Channel No" with no success - just cannot get the remote to confirm my selections. Any ideas please?

10. madc

madc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crazy ann whats the tv picture like?

11. CraftyAnn

CraftyAnn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - Picture fine - sound a bit "tinny", but I am really frustrated with the channel setting - just cant edit them - having to keep a note that Channel 2 is under no.6 etc. really annoying. The instruction is incorrect I'm sure. Just hoping someone who has bought one has sussed it out, as I dont think PC world will have tried it as a TV in the store - they are more interested in the monitor side I would think.

12. crazyman50000

crazyman50000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sorry for the slow reply (over a year ago)

The Samsung is better than the Advent in every way possible.

Got mine for £180 because the box was damaged and the disc was missing and it had no book.

Has DVI-D in which IS HDCP compatible!
    Supports 480p, 720p and 1080i NOT 1080p

Picture wise it's a lot better than the Advent. The Advent had interlace lines which broke up the image. This suffers from that but not as bad.

On a PC it makes for a very fine monitor and when plugged into an XBOX, it's awesome!

Highly recommended bargain monitor/HDTV combo