Advent Tegra Note 7 for £99.99 or less

bigd0205

This can be had for £116.99 at the minute via currys. although it shows as 129.99 on their site it takes of an extra 10% when you check out.

Kinda hard to miss when in many area's this is better than a nexus 7 (2013) its also got the added bonus of expandable memory and a hdmi out. Also the hudl probably can't hold a candle to this when its costing the same imo

heres a decent breakdown and review of the tablet.

EVGA Tegra Note 7 Review: Nvidia's Tegra 4 For $200 - Nvidia Tegra Note 7: A $200 Tegra 4-Based Tablet

what alot of folk don't realise is that this tablet was designed by Nvidia to showcase the power of the tegra 4 and they have basically licensed it to distributors such as advent (dixons group), Evga in the US, Xolo in india i think.

Buy ADVENT Vega Tegra Note 7" Tablet - 16 GB | Free Delivery | Currys

Avi

Distinguished Member
This can be had for £116.99 at the minute via currys. although it shows as 129.99 on their site it takes of an extra 10% when you check out.

Seems like a decent spec at £116. Some reviews are mixed though Advent Vega Tegra Note Review | iPad and Tablets | CNET UK

I was also looking at the Tosh Exite Pro 10.1 when PCworld had it on offer at £170. Think it also uses an Nvidia Tegra 4 processor but it got pretty hot in use.

The Nexus 7 2013 can be had for under £150 if you can find stock .

bigd0205

Seems like a decent spec at £116. Some reviews are mixed though Advent Vega Tegra Note Review | iPad and Tablets | CNET UK

The Nexus 7 2013 can be had for under £150 if you can find stock .

The bugs should be resolved with the Roll out of android 4.3 before the end of the year, having played with one in pc world i dont think the build quality is that bad definitely on a par with the hudl in the sense they both use fairly cheap plastics

Avi

Distinguished Member
The bugs should be resolved with the Roll out of android 4.3 before the end of the year, having played with one in pc world i dont think the build quality is that bad definitely on a par with the hudl in the sense they both use fairly cheap plastics

Some good deals at the mo and as you say many are not all that bad in terms of build quality especially at a significantly reduced price. Went with the Nexus 7 2013 in the end for £148.

Zaichik

Some good deals at the mo and as you say many are not all that bad in terms of build quality especially at a significantly reduced price. Went with the Nexus 7 2013 in the end for £148.

Where did you find the new Nexus 7 for that price?

Stelph

Also £10 codes off (Vega10 at PC World) and 3% quidco takes this down to sub £90.

I think at that price its a real bargain, especially if you think that you will get use out of the stylus which is a useful extra feature to have

Benchmarks it tends to beat the Nexus in gaming but obviously the nexus is a better built, more reliably supported device, however at the new price I think the note easily beats the Nexus
Results: GPU Benchmarks - EVGA Tegra Note 7 Review: Nvidia's Tegra 4 For $200

I went for one myself, will be intersting to browse the app store and see what handwriting recognition apps there are and other such apps that take advantage of the stylus

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
If you have an amex card you can get £10 back from a £50 spend. I don't need another tablet but at £80 I'm tempted to grab one for the tube ride in the mornings.

Like the forward facing speakers, more people should be doing this on a tablet

Stelph

If you have an amex card you can get £10 back from a £50 spend. I don't need another tablet but at £80 I'm tempted to grab one for the tube ride in the mornings.

Like the forward facing speakers, more people should be doing this on a tablet

Agree, it may not be as pretty but its a lot better sound wise than having them round the back.

Now I just need to find somewhere thats selling the official cover

EVGA | Products | EVGA Tegra NOTE 7 Smart Cover | M013-00-000032

Has magnets in it to work like the iPad smartcover, except there are 3 lines of magnets so that there are different standing options

Mr Regan

Was going to get a galaxy tab 3 for my son but since this has dropped to the same price :confused: will this be a better buy??

Stelph

Was going to get a galaxy tab 3 for my son but since this has dropped to the same price :confused: will this be a better buy??

Well the Advent Note is a rebranded Nvidea Note 7 so read up about that, heres a good comparison

Xolo Play Tegra Note vs Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 | AEG India

summary, the Advent has a higher res screen, much faster processor, Stylus support, much better camera, specific games made for it (see the Tegra zone games) and is smaller (tho slightly thicker),

Therefore of those two at the same price I would go with the Advent Note 7

Fat_Tony

Distinguished Member
Was about to go for the hudl then read this - so is this considered the best option for under say £120?

Thanks

Mr Regan

Well the Advent Note is a rebranded Nvidea Note 7 so read up about that, heres a good comparison

Xolo Play Tegra Note vs Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 | AEG India

summary, the Advent has a higher res screen, much faster processor, Stylus support, much better camera, specific games made for it (see the Tegra zone games) and is smaller (tho slightly thicker),

Therefore of those two at the same price I would go with the Advent Note 7

Thanks for the info, managed to get 2 for £89.99 each using a discount code :)

Stelph

Was about to go for the hudl then read this - so is this considered the best option for under say £120?

Thanks

Compared to the Hudl I think the Hudl has a higher resolution screen, however the Advent Note has a much faster processor (especially for gaming), the Note has the stylus as mentioned, plus I think the Note is already set up for USB OTG (ie attaching USB devices and the tablet recognising it like HDD or 3G dongles) and also for Controllers for gaming. Also the Tegra has a better rear camera (5 meg vs 3 meg)

Both have HDMI out, both have microSD

Comparing the prices I would say the Advent Note is a better deal

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
The idea is that Note is an ODM package that can be manufactured and branded with Nvidia having done all the certification work. HP etc. can add their own features on top.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Compared to the Hudl I think the Hudl has a higher resolution screen, however the Advent Note has a much faster processor (especially for gaming), the Note has the stylus as mentioned, plus I think the Note is already set up for USB OTG (ie attaching USB devices and the tablet recognising it like HDD or 3G dongles) and also for Controllers for gaming. Also the Tegra has a better rear camera (5 meg vs 3 meg)

Both have HDMI out, both have microSD

Comparing the prices I would say the Advent Note is a better deal
The Tegra 4 has much better GPUs.

Fat_Tony

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the replies, I think ill give the Tegra a go. I dont use tablets a great deal which is why I sold my ipad, but I find these budget 7" tablets do what I need in general.

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
I was so close to buying one last night but I bailed, for once I listened to my girlfriend and actually realised I don't need this thing, well not now anyway, maybe in the new year it will be a different story. Annoyingly my curry's is completely useless so the thing wasn't even turned on and the stylus was missing. Felt very light though, a bit cheaply made when compared to the nexus next to it but I think it would stand up to wear and tear. For £90 though it is a bargain, other than the ram and screen resolution it is up there with the nexus (on paper at least) and less than half the price, stick a 32gb SD card in it and you've undercut the n7 quite severely

Mr Regan

I was so close to buying one last night but I bailed, for once I listened to my girlfriend and actually realised I don't need this thing, well not now anyway, maybe in the new year it will be a different story. Annoyingly my curry's is completely useless so the thing wasn't even turned on and the stylus was missing. Felt very light though, a bit cheaply made when compared to the nexus next to it but I think it would stand up to wear and tear. For £90 though it is a bargain, other than the ram and screen resolution it is up there with the nexus (on paper at least) and less than half the price, stick a 32gb SD card in it and you've undercut the n7 quite severely

Yes for £90 it's a no brainer, I bought 2 for the kids for Christmas so they can watch netflix and fill it full of movies for when we travel. My Son is 3 and daughter 6 but they can work my note 2/ipad better than me and these are better value in the long run than them kids tablets that are advertised

Stelph

Your GF is right TBH, tablets are one of those things that are "nice to have" rather than essential items, although generally if you get one then you tend to think what did I ever do without one :)

I think what appeals to me about the Tegra over, say, the nexus and even the iPad mini I currently have is the "openess" as well as the power of the device (and obviously the price!), by that I mean Nvidea havent gone down the route of propertory adapters etc so you can source cheap chargers etc, the tablet supports USB OTG, HDMI and microSD so youre free to do and attach whatever you want, and theyve not bootlocked the tablet, so already there is a root and, especially with the price, I think there will be plenty out there with a lot of people working on good apps and ROMS.

All that, plus its big advantage being the stylus. Perhaps im being slightly old fashioned but I love the idea of being able to write emails and responses and have handwriting recognition change my scrawl into text, unfortinalty the Note doesn't have this feature built in but thankfully Android has a shedload of apps that support it, the one I like the look of the most being this one

MyScript Notes Mobile - Android Apps on Google Play

or even their beta

Use handwriting to input text on Android with MyScript Stylus | How To - CNET

That my main reasons for going for the Tegra note anyway

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
She's right because we already have a Asus transformer tablet and a 7 inch would sit between that and my nexus 4 size wise. I was tempted mainly because a 7 inch one is better on the tube, the other reason is I do a night at the local hospital radio, the transformer is too big to fit on the desk and the stylus would be great for making notes mid show, at the moment I rely on juggling my phone, newspapers and scraps of paper with a playlist scrawled on it, I tried the tablet and it was easier its just fitting it somewhere on the desk amongst all the CDs

Fat_Tony

Distinguished Member
I traded in my galaxy tab 2 today and ordered one of these. I bought a moga pro controller recently so I'm keen to see how the graphics look on some of my games. The reviews sound brilliant.

Does anyone know where I can buy a case for it? I've checked eBay amazon etc but not seen anything, thanks

Jerico09

Novice Member
I traded in my galaxy tab 2 today and ordered one of these. I bought a moga pro controller recently so I'm keen to see how the graphics look on some of my games. The reviews sound brilliant.

Does anyone know where I can buy a case for it? I've checked eBay amazon etc but not seen anything, thanks
The official one looks great but not out yet. Pick my Vega up later and I've just ordered this case until i get my hands on the official case

Black PU Leather Case Stand for ADVENT Vega Tegra Note 7'' 7 inch Tablet PC | eBay

Got it for £9.... Not bad

How are they for software support any news when 4.4 will be realised for it or will it hit 4,3 first?

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
It's not known, advent were useless on the old Vega but this is a rebadged nvidia tablet which I don't believe they've ever released to the public, it's usually just a reference design for OEM's to go on

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Harman Luxury Audio Group releases updated MusicLife app
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Q Acoustics announces Q Active app availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL introduces Roku smart TVs for UK
  • By Andy Bassett