Advent powernet adaptors

B

bruce taylor

Be very cautious about purchasing these items - particularly from ebay sellers.

They can be purchased for less than the costs that PC World used to charge - but they come with a very limited guarantee. I purchased 4; one packed up completely on day 1 and was replaced by the supplier. Over the next 4 months another 3 completely stopped working - for some reason they seem to have burned out as none of the light indicators illuminate when plugged into the mains.

Advent are not accessible by any internet links, although they are essentially PC World

I spoke to an IT expert at PC World about the problems, and he suggested that the ones sold on eBay may well have been 'obtained' by vendors by less than legal methods. He did then go on to admit that PC World have stopped selling these devices because of their unreliability. It seems that they may be vulnerable to mains voltage surge - but they come with a requirement that they should not be connected to surge-protection adaptors as this will prevent the internet connections from working.

Bottom line in my view - don't waste your money on them! I wish someone had told me of this before I wasted mine.

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
PC World still have them for sale on their website:

Advent Powerline Ethernet adapter at PC World - Buy cheap Powerline Home Networking - Advent Powerline Ethernet adapter Powerline Plug

I am very surprised (not at the fact that an 'IT expert' works in PC World) that they would entertain you with anything regarding a product that you have not bought from them. They would have been well within their rights to say (should it be true of course) that all advent items not sold by PC World are ...[insert stolen, rebadged/etc comment here].

Thanks for the heads up though should anyone want to buy that advent product from ebay though.

marcdbl

I've also had one of these die on me, it lasted about a fortnight.

I see from seller feedback on ebay that a quite a few people have had these die.

I agree with OP, these are best avoided.

t72bogie

they probably got them made a few quid cheaper somewhere and they returned to bite them ...still not good for them as a trusted brand with the general consumer market

as with most electrical goods, if there are 1/2 dozen vendors, all within ballpark of each other, and on is unusually cheaper, one would have to ask why, unfortunately the buyers at PCW obviously didnt :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom