• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advent laptop issues

reformz

Hi there,
Basically, i bought an Advent Roma 1000 laptop Christmas '09 and have had a heap of problems with it, but most recently have been having problems with the screen, fan and battery, all within a day or two.

Starting with the battery. If i plugged it in, it wouldn't even recognize that it was plugged in. I've had to take the battery out and just leave my laptop plugged into the mains, so I'm guessing this is due to a duff battery?

Secondly the fan seems to speed up and slow down, literally every second, almost asif it's being repeatedly unplugged then plugged back in. Loose connection?

Then Thirdly, the screen flickers, goes from bright to dim at the same time as the fan speed dropping. Which also sounds like a loose connection that the fan and screen both share?

The screen also suddenly changes to a block color sometimes, green, blue, pink, white or black, and the laptop freezes up (I'm guessing) it's hard to tell as all the screen shows is a block color, but i had music playing as this happened and it stopped.

I should point out that i had the screen replaced in Jan this year as it got smashed. So hopefully this is all just down to a loose connection.

Any help would be much appreciated :smashin:

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Starting with the battery. If i plugged it in, it wouldn't even recognize that it was plugged in. I've had to take the battery out and just leave my laptop plugged into the mains, so I'm guessing this is due to a duff battery?

Try installing BatteryBar and see if that recognises your battery at all, it should give you some information about it:
Osiris Development - BatteryBar, the most accurate battery meter for Windows

Secondly the fan seems to speed up and slow down, literally every second, almost asif it's being repeatedly unplugged then plugged back in. Loose connection?

Could be a loose connection or it could need opening up and the dust clearing up a little with come compressed air.

Then Thirdly, the screen flickers, goes from bright to dim at the same time as the fan speed dropping. Which also sounds like a loose connection that the fan and screen both share?

The screen also suddenly changes to a block color sometimes, green, blue, pink, white or black, and the laptop freezes up (I'm guessing) it's hard to tell as all the screen shows is a block color, but i had music playing as this happened and it stopped.

Could be a connection issue, it wont hurt to open it up and have a look.
If not I would try it on an external monitor to see if that gives any problems - you can rule out the graphics that way and say it is certainly a screen issue.
As it's fairly new I'd imagine it's not so likely to be on it's way out...
Try the connections and see how you get on. It should be a simple ribbon connection that just needs taking out and putting back in properly to ensure it's connected right.

reformz

Thanks for the reply mate. I'll try the BatteryBar.

I plugged my laptop into my tv last night via hdmi cable and again the screen filled with a random color and i had to force it to shut down, so iIm pretty sure it's not the screen/cables.

I've taken the bottom half of the laptop apart a few times and checked all the connections, they seem fine. I'm not entirely sure how to take apart the screen half, and i don't really want to cause any further damage, or loose track of which wire came from where.

I don't know if this is a fault on the motherboard or an issue with a driver or software, any ideas?

Also the screen flickering and the fan does seem like a loose connection so i'm puzzled :confused:

r.vernon1

The cables for video run right by the fan, so wouldn't surprised if the problems were related. If you take the bottom cover off you can see the fan and where it plugs in. Also above the fan tucked in are somes cables and one of these goes to a oblong connecter to the left of the fan. This in the graphics cable. Check this for any defects and obviously check the fan is connected OK with no issues.

It sounds to me like that MB may be the fault as all your issues can be down a bad MB, unless it's co-incidence. It's hard to say without seeing it.

reformz

I'll have another good look tomorrow. The problems do seem to occur whenever i move or pick up the laptop so you may well be right.

Could overheating cause any of this? It always get very hot, and i mean seriously hot, to the point where it's almost too hot to touch the underneath.

r.vernon1

Possibly if the outlet is blocked then the heat could be backing up and affecting the cables around the fan. You can get the heatsink out by undoing the four screws on it without having to take the bottom case off so is easy to clean. You'll need a nut spinner to get the fan out.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom