1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advent 1800+Athlon XP-Pro Re-Install Advice

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mark Ward, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    My sister's PC, an Advent 1800+ with XP-Pro was delivered to me to "sort-out". It was riddled with spyware/malware(lop)/trojans and virus remnants (god knows what she gets up to!) and so I decided that a complete re-install is the only solution.

The sticker is present of the back of the PC with her legal XP-Pro code, but just to be safe I also noted the Serial number and ran a code extraction tool which came up with a different serial code number.

Having been assured that it didn't come with an XP-Pro disc, it was apparantly pre-loaded I hunted very carefully for the necessary files to create a boot XP disc but they just wren't there.

A quick call (risk disclaimer to my sister) and I reformatted/installed using my own copy of XP Pro (2002 edition with SP1a). When I get to the enter key code prompt neither the official one on her case or the one generated by the forgotten key extractor software appear valid to this specific version of XP.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I can locate an earlier version of XP-Pro to try? I have the legal key number, I'm assuming it just isn't valid for this version.

Thanks,

Mark.

2. Pack Dude

Pack Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I would think that the key that came alone with the PC is an OEM key? Which are different to retail keys. Maybe you can try the key with an OEM copy of XP pro.

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Mine is an OEM copies too:(

Mark.

4. Pack Dude

Pack Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I just recently did an install of my SP1A OEM XP CD with an old XP OEM key with no problems. I guess your 100% sure you typed the key in right? The one on the back of her PC is the one id trust the most.

5. etaf

etaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    give microsoft a call - you have the CoA Certificate of authenticity And product key on the PC - ask them to send a replacement CD

6. JuzzyD

JuzzyD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Are you sure there isn't a restore CD/DVD in the pack that was supplied with the PC?

Also, have you checked for a hidden partition on the hd?

7. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The HDD was riddled with corrupt files, there definitely wasn't anything resembling installer files visible. There was an unused/unformatted 8gb hidden partition. I ran Norton anti-virus on the PC prior to the re-install and it found nothing sinister. I registry search found some dubious entries in the Run & Run Once keys and Search & Destroy & AdwareSE had a severe workout with 100's of listings.

OK, so called Microsoft. Girl said you CAN install from an OEM CD with the key. I told her that I've done that and now I have a prompt that tells me that the product ID from the sticker is invalid.

She says contact Advent, but do call back if it can't be resolved.

I call Advent. After following the prompts I get a recorded message saying that since it is over a year old I'll have to purchase an extended support pack, alternatively ring a premium rate number (and hold on for god knows how long I'm guessing). I'm prepared to fix my sister's PC but I don't want to be getting into premium rate tech support.

I call M$ back. They say it'll cost £49.00+VAT to talk to Tech Support to resolve it as I don't have a support contract with M$. I explained that had they not told me I COULD do this off an OEM disc I wouldn't be in this position (slight exageration). The guy said that you can't do this off an alternative vendor OEM disc (my is true OEM not advent) and that I should not have been advised differently. Still can't help me without me spending £49!

I've not got a single pirate software program on any of my PC's (plenty on this forum will testify to this claim, I even bought Winzip & Girder) but I'm seriously considering getting this going with a key maker.

Mad that I can't legally get this going.

Last thing to try is go down PC World with it and see if I can get any more help there.

I don't suppose anyone has an Advent XP-Pro Install disc I could have a copy of do they? I have the code not the software:(.

Cheers,

Mark.

8. dek1965

dek1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    try deleting the partitions (use a win98 startup/boot disc), then set up a new partition, then install xp

9. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have already tried deleting all partitions and fully re-formatting the HDD with no success. Installing XP isn't the problem, the product ID code just isn't valid for the OEM version of XP I own.

:(
    Mark.

10. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    After some "Googling" I've discovered that Dixons/PCWorld have a replacement disc support servicehere . I'm suprised that they wouldn't tell me this when a phoned. Perhaps they needed me to hold on to that premium rate number for a set length of time before they divulged this information.

I/She can live with £5 to replacement CDs.

Thanks everyone.

Mark.