Advantages of Leaving the EU

If you think the 'Rwanda express' is a benefit then you are a truly vile individual.
A case where someone's using the 'funny' emoji to troll.

Screenshot_20220610-114433.png

Yes I read, then went on to the Dell website to check, and guess what, they all come with Barrell adapter power sockets.

Lets pick one at random....

So clearly @DE1908 knows nothing then, with your one result ...

Great, the one you managed to find doesn't actually have any USB-C ports as it is an Intel Celery, its an "old new" model.

It is designed for a specific purpose, a student one. What I will say about Dell is that they are reasonably good at maintaining their backward compatibility.

Go up to the next one in the range with a Pentium processor and by default it comes with a USB-C charger.

Find a new one that actually has USB-C ports and you will find that 95% of the time they will be USB-C chargers

So clearly @DE1908 knows nothing then, with your one result ...

Great, the one you managed to find doesn't actually have any USB-C ports as it is an Intel Celery, its an "old new" model.

It is designed for a specific purpose, a student one. What I will say about Dell is that they are reasonably good at maintaining their backward compatibility.

Go up to the next one in the range with a Pentium processor and by default it comes with a USB-C charger.

Find a new one that actually has USB-C ports and you will find that 95% of the time they will be USB-C chargers

New Latitude 3330​

No rating value average rating value is 0.0 of 5. Read 0 Reviews Same page link.

• processor

11th Gen Intel® Core™ i3-1125G4 (8 MB cache, 4 cores, 8 threads, 2.00 GHz to 3.70 GHz Turbo)
  • laptop

Windows 10 Pro (Windows 11 Pro license included), English, Dutch, French, German, Italian
    (Dell Technologies recommends Windows 11 Pro for business)
  • memory

8 GB, LPDDR4x, 4266 MHz, integrated
  • harddrive

256 GB, M.2, PCIe NVMe, SSD, Class 35
  • ports-blk.svg

Ports & slots

Power​

65W AC Adapter, 4.5mm Barrel

^^^

I didn't say they don't have other connectors... I said that we try and buy laptop models with USB C so the user has a seamless dock/travel experience. We don't see that many failures with them to be honest.

Most docks are USB C. Yes certain laptops come with a right angled power connector but in an office setup the USB C performs 3 things - charges, LAN and audio/video output. Most laptops support USB C this way.

Obviously higher power laptops requiring a high wattage - such as RTX GPU laptops - have non USB C connectors. We buy those as well.... Now that USB C has been certified to 240W, those manufacturers could well change to USB C instead.

Genuinely confused by this thread. Laptops don't need to change until 2027 so why the panic about them now?

(Mind you, also worth noting that Dell's newer laptops do indeed come with USB C power connectors)

New Latitude 3330​

No rating value average rating value is 0.0 of 5. Read 0 Reviews Same page link.

• processor

11th Gen Intel® Core™ i3-1125G4 (8 MB cache, 4 cores, 8 threads, 2.00 GHz to 3.70 GHz Turbo)
  • laptop

Windows 10 Pro (Windows 11 Pro license included), English, Dutch, French, German, Italian
  • memory

• harddrive

• ports-blk.svg

Ports & slots

Power​

Yep again from the same family latitude and Dell keeping backward compatibility.

Have a look at Dell Consumer Laptops.

New Latitude 3330​

• processor

• laptop

• memory

• harddrive

• ports-blk.svg

Ports & slots

Power​

The problem with a barrel connector is that it can only transfer voltage, meaning that you need additional ports for data transfer, which makes devices more complex/larger.

In contrast, USB C can transfer data and voltage, in high speed formats too, making it a massively more future proof connector. Having spent 18 years in desktop/server support, I’ve definitely lost count of worn out barrel connectors and broken USB A peripherals.

^^^

I didn't say they don't have other connectors... I said that we try and buy laptop models with USB C so the user has a seamless dock/travel experience. We don't see that many failures with them to be honest.

Most docks are USB C. Yes certain laptops come with a right angled power connector but in an office setup the USB C performs 3 things - charges, LAN and audio/video output. Most laptops support USB C this way.

Obviously higher power laptops requiring a high wattage - such as RTX GPU laptops - have non USB C connectors. We buy those as well.... Now that USB C has been certified to 240W, those manufacturers could well change to USB C instead.
Yes, on the picture I provided above, what it doesn't show is that my ASUS zenbook also has a USB-C connector as well.

The point is, laptop manufactures are not going to drop there barrel connectors, you will get 2 ports and people will choose to carry on using the barrel connector like we do because it is more rugged.

We also use USB for remote control on our test systems, the standard is USB-A connector for controller and USB-B for a slave controlled device. You can't mix the connectors because the USB communication protocols are not the same for a controller and slave device, there is a physically different chip used inside.

All equipment suppliers will provide these connectors, it doesn't matter where you buy them from, Germany, France, USA...that is the standard.

The systems all work through a USB 3 high speed hub and all the connectors on the hub are USB-A, they connect to the machine through a USB-A socket on the PC.

Not only do we plug mains equipement into this hub, we also plug in sensors which are also powered from the hub, these would be classed as mobile devices.

We don't use the USB-C connectors because they are too fragile in an industrial environment and we get USB 3 speed through USB-A and B connectors anyway because its more down to the cable than the connectors.

Amazon product ASIN B01J7LF5PW

The point is, laptop manufactures are not going to drop there barrel connectors, you will get 2 ports and people will choose to carry on using the barrel connector like we do because it is more rugged.

They have pretty much moved away from them apart for providing support for them, which to be fair Dell is good at. Have a look the XPS range, which don't have them or look at a retailer like Currys and see how many laptops on there provide both.

We don't use the USB-C connectors because they are too fragile in an industrial environment and we get USB 3 speed through USB-A and B connectors anyway because its more down to the cable than the connectors.

Only if the USB-A and B connectors support version 3 with the additional pins. Picking up a generic USB cable won't work because USB 3 cables have additional conductors and half the time they are just USB 2.

It's quite apt that we're in a thread about Brexit/EU and people are insisting that old-school charging connectors are the future, and USB-C is bad (based on some anecdotal reports that they're bad and never stay in the port) or they can't carry high amounts of power (250W not enough to charge a laptop?).

I wonder if I could place a bet on the same people also wanting a return of incredibly inefficient light bulbs and vacuum cleaners?

USB-C has already become a standard in the industry. The EU mandating it is really just a technicality, but will push Apple to comply (which it would anyway) and make it easier for hotels, the car industry and others to adopt it properly.

USB-A will still exist, and USB-A to USB-C cables will remain, as well as adapters.

How many people are thinking we should change our 3-pin mains plugs? I mean, they're getting on a bit, so surely something better is around the corner?

USB is here to stay. It will evolve and it will get faster, and will be backward compatible.

The only thing that will have to change, especially as more manufacturers ditch power supplies in the box, is proprietary charging standards for fast charging. Most will fall back to 18W USB-PD if using the PSU with another device, and it makes sense for USB-PD to become the standard and for that to ramp up to the high speeds consumers and businesses demand.

It's quite apt that we're in a thread about Brexit/EU and people are insisting that old-school charging connectors are the future, and USB-C is bad (based on some anecdotal reports that they're bad and never stay in the port) or they can't carry high amounts of power (250W not enough to charge a laptop?).

I wonder if I could place a bet on the same people also wanting a return of incredibly inefficient light bulbs and vacuum cleaners?

USB-C has already become a standard in the industry. The EU mandating it is really just a technicality, but will push Apple to comply (which it would anyway) and make it easier for hotels, the car industry and others to adopt it properly.

USB-A will still exist, and USB-A to USB-C cables will remain, as well as adapters.

How many people are thinking we should change our 3-pin mains plugs? I mean, they're getting on a bit, so surely something better is around the corner?

USB is here to stay. It will evolve and it will get faster, and will be backward compatible.

The only thing that will have to change, especially as more manufacturers ditch power supplies in the box, is proprietary charging standards for fast charging. Most will fall back to 18W USB-PD if using the PSU with another device, and it makes sense for USB-PD to become the standard and for that to ramp up to the high speeds consumers and businesses demand.
I'm not sure the EU proposal is much better. They are insisting present day connectors are the future. Same thing, just one iteration away and enforced by law, so it makes it less likely someone comes up with something better.

I'm not sure the EU proposal is much better. They are insisting present day connectors are the future. Same thing, just one iteration away and enforced by law, so it makes it less likely someone comes up with something better.
What is this better connector that everyone on here thinks is coming?

If you think the 'Rwanda express' is a benefit then you are a truly vile individual.
Even if you are a racist pychopath who hates foreigners, the millions of pounds extra cost of legal fees and dodgy deals with an African nation, unnecessarily, well, takes a lot of mental gymnastics to see that as a benefit to Britain.

Even if you are a racist pychopath who hates foreigners, the millions of pounds extra cost of legal fees and dodgy deals with an African nation, unnecessarily, well, takes a lot of mental gymnastics to see that as a benefit to Britain.
I’m sure there are people who hate foreigners so much that any cost is acceptable to get rid of them.

I’m sure there are people who hate foreigners so much that any cost is acceptable to get rid of them.

The Mail splash this morning is that a one way ticket to Rwanda is the equivalent of a pleasure cruise.

How does that meet the people's priorities? Asylum seekers must be seen to suffer. Only by hurting them can we enact the will of the people.

That's because you're looking at it the wrong way.

For a notable section of voters our politics is now driven by malice. They've become conditioned to hate and fear immigrants. For these voters, the driving force is now to hurt outsiders and enemies.

That's because you're looking at it the wrong way.

For a notable section of voters our politics is now driven by malice. They've become conditioned to hate and fear immigrants. For these voters, the driving force is now to hurt outsiders and enemies.

And on a more cynical note, it's a Cavendish type A policy. Something that's not intended to be implemented, but exists only to create political traps for the opposition and gain votes. Dog whistle politics to rile up the libs.

Type B is centralising power under Downing Street. Type B policies are definitely meant to be implemented.

What is this better connector that everyone on here thinks is coming?
Who knows? Tech tends to move on fairly regularly. If the EU had brought the rule in earlier, then we would have been locked in to whatever they thought was the best connector at that time.

Because rules cannot be changed? Ever?
Well they can, usually very slowly when it comes the the EU.

It does discourage innovation though, when a big market mandates that only 2022 tech can be used when it comes to charging connectors.

Even if you don't think that's a problem, it's pretty crazy that the EU are legislating on what companies can put in their tech (for non-safety reasons).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom