Advantages of Leaving the EU

Agreed, sinister was a bad choice. On reflection, maybe disingenuous.
I’d be more inclined to say “emotional”. When there are people who have already faced real negative effects, whether that’s personal, financial or whatever, and their own experience is met with a digital shrug and, “well, there will be losers, it’s just one of those things” attitude, it’s pretty disingenuous to think they’re wrong to be emotional.

Whilst I’m happy for people who are in the position to be unaffected by this, ridiculing those who aren’t, and calling them names, makes it pretty difficult for me to have much sympathy for those who feel unfairly labelled with the responsibility for choosing it.

I think it’s true that brexit has polarised views. I’m sure that millions of people voted for brexit believing it to be in the country’s best interests. The difficulty is in understanding where that belief came from. Hence why people have been labelled, racist, gullible or worse.
To be labelled racist or gullible for no other reason than having a perfectly legitimate belief that differs from another is a big part of the problem.

I’d be more inclined to say “emotional”. When there are people who have already faced real negative effects, whether that’s personal, financial or whatever, and their own experience is met with a digital shrug and, “well, there will be losers, it’s just one of those things” attitude, it’s pretty disingenuous to think they’re wrong to be emotional.

Whilst I’m happy for people who are in the position to be unaffected by this, ridiculing those who aren’t, and calling them names, makes it pretty difficult for me to have much sympathy for those who feel unfairly labelled with the responsibility for choosing it.
We both know that brexiteers on here took one hell of a verbal bashing, for no other reason than casting their vote. And still get looked down on (intellectually speaking).

Farage wasn't moaning, he was campaigning!
That's what politicians do.
And then we have a vote, and all the normal people abide by the majority decision.

It is called DEMOCRACY.
If people abided by majority decisions we wouldn’t have had a referendum

We both know that brexiteers on here took one hell of a verbal bashing, for no other reason than casting their vote. And still get looked down on (intellectually speaking).
And those who chose a different option on the ballot sheet are still labelled “Remoaners” and their opinions are ridiculed too, so I’m not sure why you feel that you’re the only one being unfairly treated?

As I posted earlier. Calling people names is childish, and nobody is going to move on until everyone grows up a bit. Unfortunately, Brexit is a proverbial cash cow for this Government, so the division behind it is going nowhere while they can capitalise on it.

If you read a previous post of mine I estimated about three years before things get on an even keel and the EU stop playing silly buggers but yeah I will go with six months for you.
Why are you still blaming the EU, we’ve left, you need to find another whipping boy

I think it’s true that brexit has polarised views. I’m sure that millions of people voted for brexit believing it to be in the country’s best interests. The difficulty is in understanding where that belief came from. Hence why people have been labelled, racist, gullible or worse.

I'm sure very very few voted brexit because they thought it would make the country worse. I don't blame them at all, but that's what they did all the same. It's all to easy to see how they ended up there because I was of the same mentality before the vote, and unlike many I hadn't even been very badly subjected to the austerity that was blamed on the EU/immigration (I believe this was the major reason for the brexit win).

What I can't understand is how many people continue to deny the insurmountable evidence that its going badly. This thread alone proves that its very very hard to name tangible benefits, yet all too easy to list page after page of negatives.

I have lost count at the number of members, myself included who have offered our sincere condolences at a member who couldn't visit his mother in Spain.
And yet again I will say it's terrible and must have been an awful time.
Should we keep having that thrown at us? As if we are personally responsible for what was a collective decision?

It's because scarty keeps telling them they should have planned better. And when pulled up on it plays the Aspergers card. While we encourage people with Aspergers to be members of the community we can't let him get away with:
"your mother died, get over it". Scarty has done it twice now and needs to learn it is not appropriate behaviour.

I see. I wasn't aware anyone present had the condition. Adds further complexity to the issue, I guess.

The simple facts are:
A mother was stuck in Spain seriously ill
Family couldn't visit due to lockdown,
Mother died, family couldn't get to the funeral due to lockdown/Brexit issues
Family still can't bring her ashes back or sort out her affairs due to Brexit/lockdown issues.

Member with no compassion says they should have planned better.

Re: Member: I'm hanging off giving the member a suspension, but they probably need counselling.

EU members weren’t obliged to participate in the collective effort. Any other example where we will benefit from the lack of common standards?

You're correct - they weren't obliged to participate. But, not participating was conditional on them not signing up to any supplier that the collective effort was. So on one hand, it gave the option not to participate, but pretty much took that option away in the other. Given that this happened around July last year, there weren't many prospective supplier options on the cards. And so all member states signed up to it.

In relation to common standards, the UK was already going beyond the minimum requirement for EU 'common standards' whilst an EU member state.

The simple facts are:
A mother was stuck in Spain seriously ill
Family couldn't visit due to lockdown,
Mother died, family couldn't get to the funeral due to lockdown/Brexit issues
Family still can't bring her ashes back or sort out her affairs due to Brexit/lockdown issues.

Member with no compassion says they should have planned better.

Re: Member: I'm hanging off giving the member a suspension, but they probably need counselling.
The reason half the time I don't show empathy or compassion, is because people make a global or national issue "all about me and my family". I can't stand all this self-pity, I find it nauseating.

They call me out on it, which I don't mind, so I play the Asperger's card as a very blunt way of shutting them up.

Brexit or any other issue like this is always going to have individual affects, casualties of war, friendly fire etc etc, it is inevitable. But at the end of the day, the needs of the many are more important than the needs of the few in my opinion.

Ban incoming I suspect

The reason half the time I don't show empathy or compassion, is because people make a global or national issue "all about me and my family". I can't stand all this self-pity, I find it nauseating.

They call me out on it, which I don't mind, so I play the Asperger's card as a very blunt way of shutting them up.

Brexit or any other issue like this is always going to have individual affects, casualties of war, friendly fire etc etc, it is inevitable. But at the end of the day, the needs of the many are more important than the needs of the few in my opinion.

Ban incoming I suspect
Can you elaborate on what the “needs of many” actually is in regards to Brexit? Surely, before the Referendum, we all made our decisions based on how it affected us personally.

Ban incoming I suspect

The fact you know you are risking a ban means you know how you are behaving is unacceptable. Therefore you should know not to do it.

I know you’re replying to the post from IG, but acknowledging that you’re playing the card to shut people up means you’re aware of your actions. I try to teach my daughter that her words online have consequences, you’re a grown man so should understand that too.

Don’t use your disability as a stick to close down a discussion when you’re called out for your words.

The fact you know you are risking a ban means you know how you are behaving is unacceptable. Therefore you should know not to do it.
I risk a ban every time I drive my car. Doesn't stop me does it.

But can we PLEASE get back to Brexit. It is annoying that others have hijacked the thread.

Sometimes you can't help just "giving it out straight".
Which should by no means be taken as me condoning either the sentiment expressed or the overall tenor of scarty's postings.
Just trying to understand why someone would post such vile stuff then go on to compound it...

Sometimes you can't help just "giving it out straight".
Which should by no means be taken as me condoning either the sentiment expressed or the overall tenor of scarty's postings.
Just trying to understand why someone would post such vile stuff then go on to compound it...
Probably best not to tittle tattle about it? Using rhetoric to further inflame matters.

I risk a ban every time I drive my car. Doesn't stop me does it.

But can we PLEASE get back to Brexit. It is annoying that others have hijacked the thread.

You are the one steering (ahem) the thread off topic.

If you are driving illegally or dangerously then you really shouldn't be driving at all.

Probably best not to tittle tattle about it? Using rhetoric to further inflame matters.
I was neither "using rhetoric" nor seeking to "further inflame matters". My posting was sincere, something I think scarty appreciated. But I'm also aware that it's unlikely we'll be able to agree about that, so perhaps we should just leave it there and move on.

I was neither "using rhetoric" nor seeking to "further inflame matters". My posting was sincere, something I think scarty appreciated. But I'm also aware that it's unlikely we'll be able to agree about that, so perhaps we should just leave it there and move on.
Agrippa (Marcus Vipsanius I assume, you did a nice job on that building in rome, nice dome work BTW), we may disagree about Brexit advantages/disadvantages, but I do agree with you on this point.

PLEASE EVERYONE CAN WE MOVE ON. Its BREXIT, not personal story time.

Agrippa (Marcus Vipsanius I assume, you did a nice job on that building in rome, nice dome work BTW), we may disagree about Brexit advantages/disadvantages, but I do agree with you on this point.

PLEASE EVERYONE CAN WE MOVE ON. Its BREXIT, not personal story time.
I wish. Alas, though, just an anonymous poster here. But you're right in your identification of the inspiration. That dome, btw, is still the largest unsupported concrete structure in the world. And only one of Agrippa's achievements.
You're right. Time to move on.

ohh school dinners in 2025
Good news everybody.
The UK no longer needs Europeans to come over and do our jobs.we have signed a deal with India.
FB_IMG_1620217484055.jpg

Soon Millions and Millions of hard working Indian people will be free to live and work in the UK.

Wonder what this will do for wages here though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom