Advantages of Leaving the EU

weaviemx5

Distinguished Member
:D I knew you would have to single out supermarkets, that's why I included the other job roles. Plus only the headline supermarkets paid out. A bet my local independent didn't and many of the other small partner chains.

Nurses etc. deserve a one off bonus if people can only ever focus on financial reward over job satisfaction and feeling of doing good & the right thing. Don't soldiers get a temporary increase when in active conflict duty.
I “singled out” supermarkets because you said;

“Shop assistance in supermarkets without high-end PPE and seeing vast numbers of strangers in enclosed spaces also did Sterling work,”

You didn’t say that you meant the guy working in your local Londis.

However, apart from the Police and Nurses, all of the other examples you gave are employed by Private Sector businesses, so it is their employees’ responsibility to treat them however they see fit. In the same way, the Nurses and Police are employed by the Public Sector (UKG), so it’s their responsibility to treat them accordingly. This has been discussed numerous times in the Covid section. You can’t directly compare Private/Public sector (whether positively or negatively) as they are entirely separate entities.

VastGirth

Suspended
Do we really still need to do the whole “Remoaner” thing? Isn’t it a bit childish.

To be fair it's all they have got left.

Remainer: "Here are load of real world problems directly caused by brexit having a tangible negative affect on peoples lives."

Brexiteer: "Shut up remoaner! Enjoy your sour grapes."

Remainer: " Anyone found any benefits of brexit yet

Brexiteer: "...... umm here's a picture of Dad's army"

v2 API

Distinguished Member
You could argue all day long about whether Brexit is good or bad. But here is a fact: it has driven a wedge down the middle of this nation, and the fact that we are still bickering about it now, 5 years later, tells its own tale. This will take decades to heal.

What a sad little island we are now.
What is sad is the sinister narrative that is being pushed here about people that wanted to leave the EU.
BTW, the wedge that has been driven is purely created by some who cannot accept it.

psikey

Distinguished Member
What is sad is the sinister narrative that is being pushed here about people that wanted to leave the EU.
BTW, the wedge that has been driven is purely created by some who cannot accept it.

The wedge is small, its only on forums like this I hear/see anybody really even still talking about having left EU.

Things will settle into the new norm driven by money and majority will carry on with their lives.

weaviemx5

Distinguished Member
Come on, don’t play the victim. This country was split down the middle in 2016 by both sides of the referendum and is a long way off joining together again.

The fact that we still have people here labelling others “Remoaners”, 5 years after the referendum, shows that there’s more than enough blame on both sides of the argument.

paul.w

Do we really still need to do the whole “Remoaner” thing? Isn’t it a bit childish.
It's because they are STILL moaning 5 years after a democratic referendum!

They behave like children, and so, need treating like children.
Meanwhile the adults are getting on with life.

paul.w

The wedge is small, its only on forums like this I hear/see anybody really even still talking about having left EU.

Things will settle into the new norm driven by money and majority will carry on with their lives.
Exactly.

weaviemx5

Distinguished Member
It's because they are STILL moaning 5 years after a democratic referendum!

They behave like children, and so, need treating like children.
Meanwhile the adults are getting on with life.
Yet Farage spent his entire 25 year political career “moaning” about the EU and he’s held up as the one who got Brexit through. Do you see him in the same way?

You’re also clearly not getting on with life (online at least) as you’ve decided to post childish name calling here. Have you shared anything constructive here before?

paul.w

Yet Farage spent his entire 25 year political career “moaning” about the EU and he’s held up as the one who got Brexit through. Do you see him in the same way?

You’re also clearly not getting on with life (online at least) as you’ve decided to post childish name calling here. Have you shared anything constructive here before?
Go look.

v2 API

Distinguished Member
Come on, don’t play the victim. This country was split down the middle in 2016 by both sides of the referendum and is a long way off joining together again.

The fact that we still have people here labelling others “Remoaners”, 5 years after the referendum, shows that there’s more than enough blame on both sides of the argument.

I have lost count at the number of members, myself included who have offered our sincere condolences at a member who couldn't visit his mother in Spain.
And yet again I will say it's terrible and must have been an awful time.
Should we keep having that thrown at us? As if we are personally responsible for what was a collective decision?

Last edited:

Malvern

And if there are no discernible benefits after six months, what then? Will you be telling us it’s only been six months and the unicorns won’t appear for at least a year....?
If you read a previous post of mine I estimated about three years before things get on an even keel and the EU stop playing silly buggers but yeah I will go with six months for you.

paul.w

Farage wasn't moaning, he was campaigning!
That's what politicians do.
And then we have a vote, and all the normal people abide by the majority decision.

It is called DEMOCRACY.

weaviemx5

Distinguished Member
Farage wasn't moaning, he was campaigning!
That's what politicians do.
And then we have a vote, and all the normal people abide by the majority decision.

It is called DEMOCRACY.
Ah ok. He was “campaigning” for 25 years, even after he was elected.

Fair enough, no contradictory opinions here then. Thanks for the capitalisation too, I’d have never spotted the word DEMOCRACY without it 👍🏻

david1974b

There are brexit caused losses among the losses to the Uk economy. They are not all caused by the pandemic. Considering the UK economy is faring worse than all the other G7 countries economies, even the EU countries, and they've all faced the same pandemic too.

Not exactly an advantage being out than it is remaining in is it? If brexit was all full of advantages compared with remaining in the EU or against countries still in the EU, wouldn't the UK economy be higher up on the ladder than the EU's G7 countries economies.

Last edited:

weaviemx5

Distinguished Member
I have lost count at the number of members, myself included who have offered our sincere condolences at a member who couldn't visit his mother in Spain.
And yet again I will say it's terrible and must have been an awful time.
Should we keep having that thrown at us? As if we are personally responsible for what was a collective decision?
I hadn’t seen that you’d quoted me before, I’m not sure what this one person’s situation with his mum has to do with my post though?

What “sinister” things are you thinking about?

Judge Mental

I am grateful for the kind words of forum members regarding my personal loss. And accept that if someone has a condition such as Asperger it’s understandable that they may have difficulty with empathy.

All of which rather detracts from my main point, which was intended to be that there are tangible direct negative effects of brexit already being experienced by lots of people in the uk and no discernible benefit so the argument about winners and losers is somewhat moot, as I can’t find anyone that has yet practically benefited from it.

And I’m not sure why it’s assumed I’m male?

v2 API

Distinguished Member
I hadn’t seen that you’d quoted me before, I’m not sure what this one person’s situation with his mum has to do with my post though?

What “sinister” things are you thinking about?
There is a general consensus, I feel, that people who voted Brexit are callous and uncaring. The narrative is pushed on a daily basis. They are regularly made to feel they should be apologetic and are personally responsible for misery in peoples lives.

weaviemx5

Distinguished Member
There is a general consensus, I feel, that people who voted Brexit are callous and uncaring. The narrative is pushed on a daily basis. They are regularly made to feel they should be apologetic and are personally responsible for misery in peoples lives.
Ah ok. I hadn’t realised you felt like that. It’s not something I’ve seen seen specifically targeted (apart from the recent discussion surrounding Judge Mental’s situation which appears to have come to an understanding).

People sharing their own personal impacts post-Brexit will be both positive and negative. I think a lot of the more tangible effects so far have been generally negative, and primarily financial/procedural, whereas the general gist of positives seems to be more around personal feelings/emotions, so difficult to quantify outside of someone’s own ‘bubble’.

I do have to question the choice of “sinister” wording though, which suggests some sort of underhand planning. I think this is just a heated topic, not helped by petty name calling.

Any voting system comes with resulting effects, both good and bad. In the case of the referendum, it was such a binary In/Out decision that it leads to the tribal mentality we still see 5 years later. However, to some degree, we all have to bare some responsibility for our decisions, otherwise why bother putting them to a vote? Whilst I’m sure everyone voted for their own personal reasons, the long term effects of those decisions, and how our elected Government chose to run with that mandate, are a direct result, so people need to accept that.

Judge Mental

I think it’s true that brexit has polarised views. I’m sure that millions of people voted for brexit believing it to be in the country’s best interests. The difficulty is in understanding where that belief came from. Hence why people have been labelled, racist, gullible or worse.

v2 API

Distinguished Member
Ah ok. I hadn’t realised you felt like that. It’s not something I’ve seen seen specifically targeted (apart from the recent discussion surrounding Judge Mental’s situation which appears to have come to an understanding).

People sharing their own personal impacts post-Brexit will be both positive and negative. I think a lot of the more tangible effects so far have been generally negative, and primarily financial/procedural, whereas the general gist of positives seems to be more around personal feelings/emotions, so difficult to quantify outside of someone’s own ‘bubble’.

I do have to question the choice of “sinister” wording though, which suggests some sort of underhand planning. I think this is just a heated topic, not helped by petty name calling.
Agreed, sinister was a bad choice. On reflection, maybe disingenuous.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Austrian Audio launches Hi-X65 headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku expands streaming content with Roku Originals
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2021