Advantages of Leaving the EU

Kwman

I thought certain food stuffs (which I believe Marmite is one) are now illegal to bring through domestic customs? Remember the truckers ham and cheese sandwich fiasco in the news?
At one stage I know UK customs clamped down hard on certain food stuffs, but relaxed it for own consumption. No clue about Marmite though. Never heard of that trucker story!

Erlang168

Standard Member
The Marmite issue might be a combination of Brexit and Pandemic
Bovril and other British goods are drying up in Cyprus, which is going to hurt someone's bottom line ultimately.

vinba

I thought certain food stuffs (which I believe Marmite is one) are now illegal to bring through domestic customs? Remember the truckers ham and cheese sandwich fiasco in the news?
That's because they had ham in them.. Last time I looked my local Tesco still had marmite on the shelves albeit at an extortionate price.. Strangely enough I thought it would be difficult to get frozen samosas as I was under the impression they were made in the UK but it seems most are made in Romania or the Czech Republic. I did get worried when I couldn't find the West Country cheddar but it seems they had only moved it..

Last edited:

krish

Distinguished Member
Yes there was, I was using Compunet on my Commodore 64.

You know what he meant. Universities didn't offer that access to students. They got email addresses around 92-94 (though I never did as an engineering student at UCL, 90-93). Then when the web came along, it wasn't really until 1995 when students caught on to it. I did manage to access Mosaic and Lynx on UNIX by copying some Electronics and Electrical Engineering students in 94.

whitesnake11

scarty16

You know what he meant. Universities didn't offer that access to students. They got email addresses around 92-94 (though I never did as an engineering student at UCL, 90-93). Then when the web came along, it wasn't really until 1995 when students caught on to it. I did manage to access Mosaic and Lynx on UNIX by copying some Electronics and Electrical Engineering students in 94.
I got my uni email in 1988. [email protected]

whitesnake11

Sangreal

Standard Member
Have any been posted yet?

Here's a copy of my full list from the other place...

NYIz7.png

Malvern

Have any been posted yet?

Here's a copy of my full list from the other place...

NYIz7.png
Yep, we make the red line and the black lines. the paper we leave to some third world country as we can't be bothered.

Maybe in a years time you may be able to start filling those black lines with positives, nah just joking, we both know you wont.

Sangreal

Standard Member
If you meant me, then I'm very open-minded.
Except with Brexit, alas, there's nothing positive that can really ever come from leaving the CU/SM

There needs to be a customs border & checks between EU & GB, meaning extra bureacracy & costs and less trade in goods.

Unless NI effectively stays in the CU/SM for goods (a la NIP), there'd need to be customs checks somewhere between NI & ROI instead of between GB & NI, thus putting the peace and/or union at risk, either way.

Scotland still edging further towards eventually leaving the union.

Trade in certain goods now prohibited.

Tariffs on EU-UK trade in goods from 3rd countries.

No banking passport and no equivalence deal.

No more free movement of services & workers with 31 EU/EFTA countries.

Many jobs lost, businesses going under or moving to EU.

No new trade deals yet. Rollover deals are on same or worse terms.

Less workers to do the jobs Brits don't like doing.
Maybe extra workers will now come from Asia/Africa instead?

No direct access to Schengen SIS II criminal databases, European Arrest Warrant, Europol system, Eurojust, etc.

Lost access to most EU agencies and programmes. Still having to pay for access to the few we kept.

Lost fast lane access in EU airports.

No more mutual recognition of qualifications

No say in regulations that we still need to abide by in order to trade.

No Brexit dividend. Billions lost or spent. Ongoing...

There's plenty more, but I'll stop there.

Maybe give us some positives. A list of some things you think might be potential benefits/advantages in the long term, because I can't honestly think of any.

Last edited:

Richard19601

Standard Member
If you meant me, then I'm very open-minded.
Except with Brexit, alas, there's nothing positive that can really ever come from leaving the CU/SM

There needs to be a customs border & checks between EU & GB, meaning extra bureacracy & costs and less trade in goods.

Unless NI effectively stays in the CU/SM for goods (a la NIP), there'd need to be customs checks somewhere between NI & ROI instead of between GB & NI, thus putting the peace and/or union at risk, either way.

Scotland still edging further towards eventually leaving the union.

Trade in certain goods now prohibited.

Tariffs on EU-UK trade in goods from 3rd countries.

No banking passport and no equivalence deal.

No more free movement of services & workers with 31 EU/EFTA countries.

No new trade deals yet. Rollover deals are on same or worse terms.

Less workers to do the jobs Brits don't like doing.
Maybe extra workers will now come from Asia/Africa instead?

No direct access to Schengen SIS II criminal databases, European Arrest Warrant, Europol system, Eurojust, etc.

Lost access to most EU agencies and programmes. Still having to pay for access to the few we kept.

Lost fast lane access in EU airports.

No more mutual recognition of qualifications

No say in regulations that we still need to abide by in order to trade.

No Brexit dividend. Billions lost or spent. Ongoing...

There's plenty more, but I'll stop there.

Maybe give us some positives. A list of some things you think might be potential benefits/advantages in the long term, because I can't honestly think of any.
Perhaps Brits don't like doing the work at minimum wage I am a carer in a care home 0n £8.91 an hour ,now in the past the EU staff accounted for those people we did not have due to obscenely low wages . perhaps and only perhaps our wages will now increase to a mildly reasonable level for the very hard work we do.

But on the others your spot on.

Perhaps brits unlike me an older brit at 61 don't like doing back breaking work for min wage ,rather then jobs brits don't want to do.

IronGiant

@Sangreal This is the "advantages" thread, so unless you really consider that a list of advantages then you're in the wrong thread, you want the impact one.

Sangreal

Standard Member
Perhaps Brits don't like doing the work at minimum wage I am a carer in a care home 0n £8.91 an hour ,now in the past the EU staff accounted for those people we did not have due to obscenely low wages . perhaps and only perhaps our wages will now increase to a mildly reasonable level for the very hard work we do.

But on the others your spot on.

Perhaps brits unlike me an older brit at 61 don't like doing back breaking work for min wage ,rather then jobs brits don't want to do.

I agree that nurses, care workers and others should definitely be paid more.
But I don't think that really had anything to do with us being in the EU.

iirc, Labour proposed increasing the minimum wage to £10/hr back in 2017, but the electorate still voted for the Tories.

Last edited:

Sangreal

Standard Member
@Sangreal This is the "advantages" thread, so unless you really consider that a list of advantages then you're in the wrong thread, you want the impact one.

It would be a very short thread then, seeing as there are no known advantages.

I've posted in the impact thread as well.

But thanks for the advice. Noted :)

IronGiant

It would be a very short thread then, seeing as there are no known advantages.
That was my point, if you post in here people might mistakenly think something positive had happened ;) :D

Richard19601

Standard Member
I agree that nurses, care workers and manual labourers etc. should definitely be paid more.
But I don't think that really had anything to do with us being in the EU.

iirc, Labour proposed increasing the minimum wage to £10/hr back in 2017, but the electorate still voted for the Tories.
True guess where my vote went.

What I am saying is this though in my industry although there was a reluctance of British born nationals prepared to fill vacancies ,people coming from the EU were quite happy to work for low wages perhaps topped up by government benefits .

Now the wisdom of logic says when there is a shortage of anything the price should go up including labour , but the plentiful supply of East Europeans {nearly all coming from that region} meant it stayed the same .

Now do I want to wait for government to set my wages or my private care home owner raking in in to set a fair one .? hmm.

And yes. I do believe if they were that way inclined they could have set a fair one with the situation of us as members in the first place ,but chose not to.

Last edited:

Sangreal

Standard Member
True guess where my vote went.

What I am saying is this though in my industry although there was a reluctance of British born nationals prepared to fill vacancies ,people coming from the EU were quite happy to work for low wages perhaps topped up by government benefits .

Not the wisdom of logic says when there is a shortage of anything the price should go up including labour , but the plentiful supply of East Europeans {nearly all coming from that region} meant it stayed the same .

Now do I want to wait for government to set my wages or my private care home owner raking in in to set a fair one .? hmm.

Yes. Though modern Britain under the capitalist system has always had a cheap source of labour from somewhere...

Whether (low-paid or unpaid) women, children & slaves before outlawed, the Irish in the 19th century, the poorer Commonwealth countries in the early-to-mid 20th century, east Europeans from the EU, etc.

The big corporates are even more in control now than ever before, so I don't see much changing in that respect.

Let's also not forget that UK law includes different wage rates for different ages, whereas many EU countries just have one set rate for all. UK allowed rip-off employment agencies to mass hire workers from East Europe under ZHCs and apprenticeship rates, a practice which is illegal or heavily restricted in most EU countries.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Austrian Audio launches Hi-X65 headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku expands streaming content with Roku Originals
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2021