Advanced Settings question

S

simon_beard89

This is the situation, I have 3 pcs on a lan network. All three pcs are using the same email account on outlook express.

I have figured out how to leave a copy of the emails sent to us on the server so that all three pcs can recieve the same messages.

However I was wondering if theres a function so that for example I sent an email on this pc, the email I have just sent will appear in the sent items of the other two pcs. This would be usefull for reference so we know who has sent what from just looking at one pc insead of going through the sent items on each machine looking for a email!

I wasn't too sure if this is possible, I know you can export emails to other pcs, however I would like a more automatic function?

macker_s

Novice Member
simon_beard89 said:
This is the situation, I have 3 pcs on a lan network. All three pcs are using the same email account on outlook express.

I have figured out how to leave a copy of the emails sent to us on the server so that all three pcs can recieve the same messages.

However I was wondering if theres a function so that for example I sent an email on this pc, the email I have just sent will appear in the sent items of the other two pcs. This would be usefull for reference so we know who has sent what from just looking at one pc insead of going through the sent items on each machine looking for a email!

I wasn't too sure if this is possible, I know you can export emails to other pcs, however I would like a more automatic function?
From the sounds of it you are using POP3 and as such the sent items folder will be local to your PC, if you were using an IMAP Mailserver (such as Exchange or Domino) then you mailboxes are stored on the server and as such your send items would be available to all three.

The only way around this I can see (not tried it but shoudl work) is to define the local mailbox folder as a network share and then set the other mail client to use that as thier mailbox and as such you would all have the same sent items. I sure this will throw up some permission access issues and may even not allow the mailboxes to be open to more than one client.

Like anything this is possible if you throw enough time at, but it will take some serious playing around to get it working.

S

simon_beard89

Yes were are using pop3 (cant change that), thanks for your advice. It does seem a little too fiddely and wouldnt rather not be totally dependant on the server pc, might look into it abit more when I have more time.

M

MikeFish

I tried to do this once. Rather than leave a copy of the emails on the server I wanted to download them once on any of mt PCs and then be able to access all my emails from any PC including sent items. I tried to get all the versions of Outlook Express to save the .dbx files in the same location on one PC (which would have to be switched on whenever I wanted to check emails). However, I didn't like this and I couldn't get it to work.
I think macker is right about it being possible though. I didn't try it with Microsoft Outlook, so that might be an option (uses .pst files rather than .dbx).

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
I've done exactly that in the past and it works....Have you checked whether your ISP supports IMAP, that should get you around the problem as well...Although I don't like the thought of all my mail sitting on the ISP's infrastructure......You could just install a local free IMAP server which POP3's into your ISP to download the mail, and then you IMAP from each of the three workstations to your local server....

Top Bottom