ADSL Wireless vs Wire Modem

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by chrish7, Jan 20, 2008.

1. chrish7

chrish7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have an ADSL line connected to my computer using a ZOOM Modem with a wire runningfrom upstairs to the phone socket downstairs.
    I'm not happy with the performance of the ADSL link (in terms of throughput) and am wondering whether I could speed things up replacing the Modem with a wireless router.
    What I mean is - Is the use of the Modem and wire to the phone socket limiting throughput ?

Would appreciate some advice from the experts.

Chris

2. telford_mike

telford_mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Doubtful. Unless you want to use more network devices, adding a wireless router probably won't improve things.

3. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    At the risk of contradicting the previous poster - highly likely I'd say. In terms of Electromagnetic Interference, a house is a very 'dirty' environment and telephone extension cables are not designed to deal with it in terms of carrying your ADSL signal. (They are usually OK for telephone frequencies which are at a completely different part of the EM spectrum.)

In addition, the modem in a modern router is often better than the ones found in stand-alone modems.

Ideally connect a router to your BT Master socket. Ensure that any extensions wired to the Master socket are connected as Follows: Blue & White to 2 and White & Blur to 5 with NO OTHER wires connected.

Now instead of running a telephone extension wire, run a Cat5 cable. One end in the Router an the other end in an Ethernet port on your PC. You should go faster. Even if you use Wireless instead of wires, wired as I suggest usually improves ADSL Line Speed.

4. Spiderkid

Spiderkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I'd agree with this - if you can use a Cat5 cable (you can pick them up pretty cheaply now), that will give you the best performance. But a wireless router will be an improvement over a standard telephone extension chord.