ADSL sudden issues

Discussion in 'BT Broadband' started by b1nx2003, Sep 18, 2018.

1. b1nx2003

b1nx2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    We have a phone line with a simple adsl connection away from the main corporate wan at work.

It serves its purpose well for no frills wi-fi and browsing the net, its been in place since about 2005 and up until very recently its worked perfectly.

Suddenly, the router (a very old Lynksys model) is showing consistent packet loss and tho it will make a connection to a site, its dropped soon after. The odd or email or message will come through etc via whatsapp but thats about it.

It was literally working fine at the end of a shift, arrived for the next and this happened.

A tracert shows the odd ping timed out beyond the router along the hops to BTs network.

We cannot change the router as the password for the bt account is encrypted and the person who set it it up is long gone, likewise BT wont speak to us without the account holder.

Any ideas?

2. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,172
    So is the line held in this individuals name rather than the businesses? If so then just apply to BT for a line takeover or place an order with another ISP. They will send notification of the line takeover to the business address (assuming that's where the bills go) & if there's no objection, the line will be transferred. You may be able to benefit from new customer deals, get a new router & have full access to the account.

There may still be an issue but at least you'll then be able to address it with the ISP.

3. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +11,074
    I'd speak to BT, explain the situation and get it sorted. They must have experienced it before where the account holder has left the company.

If not, tell them you will cancel the broadband and go elsewhere.

4. b1nx2003

b1nx2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    On the router side of things - the main stumbling block is the BT account password, i can login to the router and see the username but obviously the password is encrypted. Have tried exporting the config as a whole and importing into a different router without success. Would this import the encrypted password also?

5. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,172
    Typically the login for BT broadband with one of their routers is based on the phone number. When using a third party router the default login is [email protected] with no password. But some routers will not allow the password field to be blank. I've always used the password BT (in upper case) although I've seen it suggested that it doesn't matter what you put in there.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  6. b1nx2003

b1nx2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    sorry, to clear up what was intended by BT account password. This was purely to try the exported config in a different router to rule out that being at fault. Pretty sure its not, but wouldnt hurt to confirm that.

So the theory was to export the current router config including account details (some encrypted) and import those into a different ADSL router and test. The question was, would they still import into a different router being encrypted?

7. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,172
    You don’t need to export anything as I’ve provided you with the standard login.

Although easiest way to try another router would be to grab one of BT’s from the classifieds or Ebay/Gumtree as no config is required.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  8. b1nx2003

b1nx2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    will try these suggestions and hopefully make some progress later on.

Appreciate the reply and info.

9. b1nx2003

b1nx2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    ok so tried username & passwords as above on a different router but this didnt appear to allow access to the internet.

It was a very old netgear router though so no surprise really.

If i buy a homehub and connect that, in theory that should work?

10. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +441
    That only works for residential broadband accounts. Business broadband has it's own unique log in details

11. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,172
    I was assuming from the wording in the OP that the account had been set up as personal/residential but the OP didn't answer the question. I've come across that before where a small business has attempted to save money. I have to admit though I wasn't aware that business account credentials are different.

@b1nx2003
    What is the login domain? Looks like business accounts use btclick.com. If it is a business account then my suggestion of a BT Hub not needing configuration would be wrong.

Apparently the password can be reset if you know the password for the @btconnect.com email address assigned to the account.

Solved: Setting up 3rd Party Router - BT Business Community Forum

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  12. b1nx2003

b1nx2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    @RBZ5416
    the current login details in the router show a @btbroadband.com address with an encrypted password.

Exported the config and tried to import it into a different brand router but it failed. The intention being that would include the BT account password and if successful would enable a new router to be tested - fully aware at this stage that might not fix the issue if its line related, but would at least rule out an issue with the current router.

Would that be possible?

13. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,172
    In light of the info from @wormvortex we need to establish whether this is a residential or business line. Also is it ADSL as you said in the OP or fibre?

Was the login always @btbroadband.com or did you change to that following my suggestion?

Not sure how you're "exporting"? Do you mean just backing up the router's config from it's own interface or using a utility? If the former then Google seems to suggest that the resulting config.bin file can be opened in Notepad or text editor of your choice & will display the password in plain text!

Google also suggests telnetting into the router to achieve the same but if the config trick works then job done.

14. b1nx2003

b1nx2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    upon speaking with BT, they are able to confirm its a business line.

Yes, exporting a .cfg file from the router itself, opened with notepad but password is encrypted, which again is the stumbling block. My question is can this be imported into a different router?

15. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,172
    I would think that the config file would only restore to the same manufacturer at best.

I've just found a utility to scan config files. It wouldn't work directly with a current Netgear or ASUS file but the "Grab From Explorer Window" option did. At least from the Netgear as that's what's connected at the moment. You may have more joy if the Linksys is older. If not try the Grab. Note it does need to be IE as specified & not Edge or another browser.

RouterPassView - Recover lost password from router backup file on Windows

If that doesn't work try Tweeting @btbusinesscare & see if you can make contact with someone with a braincell to help you out. But my experience with them over the years suggests that's unlikely.

16. b1nx2003

b1nx2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    thats great, will give it bash. Appreciate your help and info on this.

17. b1nx2003

b1nx2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    some progress made earlier with the 'grab' utility, it was able to capture the BT password via IE so now have this.

The next task is to try this in a known working ADSL router (ideally BT home hub) so looking to buy a cheap used model on ebay or something and try that.

18. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,172
  19. b1nx2003

b1nx2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi just a quick update, the issue is now resolved.

I was able to speak with our groups BT account manager and they assigned an engineer who did a few line tests and found the issue to be noise on the line. A profile change was made and almost immediately the connection improved. It has now settled and is completely stable as it was before.

Appreciate the previous comments and help on this