1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ADSL provider

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by hornydragon, Dec 13, 2004.

1. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Having failed to get ntl installed at my new place i have had to go BT my 3 week wait for a line is almost over....coming WENESDAY at last and i wanted ADSL so tried to order it from another PC connected to net but couldnt as my phone number is not in the database yet.......... so I am thinking of going with DEMON HOME 500 anyone better or cheaper than demon for £19.99 PCM unlimited always on 500kbps.............
    I dont care about modems etc as a Linksys WAG54G is on its way to me from Ebuyer as we speak.........

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    come on guys are demon any good?

3. HarshKarma

HarshKarma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personaly I think Demon went downhill after they sold out.

I used eclipse for the last year or so (1MB) and am very happy with them.
    They've currently got a trial on for 2MB @ £39.99
    eclipse services

I've just switched across to the 2MB trial and am very happy with it.

4. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,470
    You can compare ISPs for speed, reliability & customer service here.

5. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    http://www.ukonline.net/8000/

Wow 8Mb, and check out upload!

Hi for £39.99 a month look at this. BT sure going to have to wake up and smell the coffee!!!

Ain't competition good for the customer!!

Regards

Darren

6. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Hmm, having just read the website, Ukonline are part of Easynet, who are indeed doing Local Loop Unbundling, so you can get enhanced ADSL and SDSL products if you're in the right area. We've got an Easynet 512K business class connection at work (along with Andrews & Arnold and Zen), and we're very happy with them.

If you're just looking for bog standard ADSL, I'd personally recommend Zen Internet.

A&A (www.aaisp.net) have switched to a usage based tariff system which is less attractive if you download a lot, but they'll give you the fastest line that your phone line can support. This means you can get a 2Mb connection for only £27/month. If you don't intend to exceed the peak rate use of 3Gb/month, this is a great deal.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  8. INchSHOrT

INchSHOrT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just started with homecall. Seems like a good deal to me.
    £24.99 - 512kb and includes unlimited phone calls local and national!!
    And if u want to pay your line rental through them they will do it for £9.99, as opposed to BT £10.50.
    So in your case hornydragon if u spend more tha £5 on phone calls during the month it will work out cheaper.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    BT were offering me unlimited Voice over IP calls local and national with there BB but i have everyday 50 line 2 and 200minutes on my mobile ( and not living with any women, dont need 1000's of minutes of calls) didnt like the VOIP option....... I wanted ntl nut they wont install....MADNESS so amtrying to match the pricing as closely as possible.......

10. INchSHOrT

INchSHOrT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this deal includes unlimited phone calls, but I must stress There technical support Department are really busy i.e. waiting times of over 30mins. with a national 0870 number.

11. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
  12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    thanks pjclark1 that is cheap for 1 meg any idea if it is capped or anything and what are they like supportwise (shouldnt need it) and is it wires only or do you get a modem etc

Hmmm just seenthere is a £58.75 set-up fee with 12 month contract so 58.75/12=4.89
    £26.89 over 12 months.... migration is good tho £14.99 to migrate and then 21.99

13. spencer

spencer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also wanted no set up fees and an uncapped 500kbps. (I also needed a modem).
    I ended up with Demon home500. I was up and running in less than a week and have no problems to date.

I haven't had to contact customer support yet so can't comment on that, but surely that's a good thing!

14. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    adsl4less
    totally uncapped, IPstream is basically BT sub contracting their network, the only management is BT setting you local ADSL switch to 1 meg or 512K. I'm just about to migrate from pipex (also ipstream) so I will be getting the same service for less. Supportwise, they give you a username and password, and pass on any problems to BT. (cos BT do all the work)

you get no modem (but the free modems are garbage anyway, buy a netgear DG834G modem/router/firewall/wireless for £90 and do it properly. If you are a new ADSL customer they charge £60, add £5 a month to the line fee to compare. (£22 + £5 = £27, still cheap for 1 meg) If anyone wants my "free alcatel 330 USB modem" its sitting in a box £10 + post

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I think i am going to go demo hope fully will be set-up with 48 hours not 10 days........ then I'll look for cheap migration.....

16. chrisward

chrisward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys, Currently I am using BT as my ISP but they have stopped me accessing my own domain to send and retrieve emails as of Thursday, they say "it's to stop people like me abusing thier service", had I been face to face with him I probably would have hit him, but that aside. I am currently looking for a new ISP, UKonline.com seam to be the best on offer and match the price I am paying with BT, has anyone had experience with this company or know anything about it i.e. who's the mother company? What the service is like? Does it go down much? Etc... Alternatively, if anyone has a better suggestion I am listening. Thanks. C :lease:

17. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hornydragon.

Check the small print.

Most ISPs that dont charge you a 'connection fee' (levied by BT) will typically tie you in to a 12 month contract... I've always used Nildram of late for myself and customers. Not always the cheapest, but cheap, are quick to roll out the faster speeds and have great customer services/tech support should you need it.

Plus they give you all the options you might need, static IP's etc.

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Perhaps i should have gone with Nildram.....Demon service is fine but i am still on 512k and everyone else seems to be getting 2MB for the same price.....

19. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ah, only just noticed the date of your posting... are you locked in to Demon or can you migrate?

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I think i am locked if for 12 months (but reading my posts i am 99% sure i was under the impression there was no contract)....Had a load of hassle with the WAG54G sent it back and installed a V2 on friday which seems much more stable (touching wood) also got round to setting up my print server so can print on the fly as it where.............no issues with demon but it does seem slow compared to my GF's ntl connection.. :(

21. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I usually use 3com kit for the router and netgear for switches/hubs. ALWAYS check for firmware updates on your router/adsl modem as they're often updated (something 3com is very good for).

The connection speed could be releated to the contention ratio. I dont have any idea on the config for NTL (its just so seldomly used/available here) but on on a domestic tarif you'll be sharing with 49 other people on Demon. If they're all on at the same time as you and downloading movies or lots of mp3's then you'll soon notice a performance hit. Thats why its often worth taking a business tariff. Usually about £10 a month more but you get a 20:1 contention ratio rather than a 50:1. Plus businesses (ironically) typically download much less material...

Glad I can repay some of the excellent plasma advice you're given me of the last month or so.

:D

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    went through 4 firmwares inc a beta i have pages and poages of "Live help" reports from linksys..... cost is the main issue, i dont download a lot infact hardly anything.......just general browsing (well being on here basically).........I think the forum should pay for my ADSL..............
    PS glad you like the Panny (has it taken up residence in the office yet?)

23. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    HD, take it up with Spectre... Though I suspect I already know his answer...

Screen is currently sitting in my lounge where I've been playing with it, and convincing the wife that a plasma would be nice in the lounge....)