Adsl modem-router for home use/nas search

jonnboyy69

Hi, Im fairly tech savvy in some things but am a complete noob when it comes to networking and nas and anything related to this area! Time is long overdue to replace my 4yr old (dont laugh) Orange Livebox!.... Orange's current free replacement adsl modem/router is a basic Netgear (150mbps) which is adequate for free but not really as futureproof as i'd like.

I need a bit of guidance as to what tech is out there that can meet or exceed my needs however I only have £150 budget but willing to go the second hand route.

Im looking at the following simple requirements ;
-Solid reliable Adsl modem-router
-Dual band b/g/n (2.4ghz and 5ghz) to cater for old ps3 and new vaio lappy at same time.
-4 ports
-usb for hooking up my old Samsung Story hdd for a crude nas setup

My current equipment/spec/connection is;

-Adsl connection; 6.5mbps via Orange isp/ping 0.42ms/upload 0.69mbps
-old Ps3 /wireless [email protected]
-old xbox360/ ethernet
-old medion pc/ ethernet
-new Sony vaio/wireless b/g/n 2.4ghz or 5ghz
-Samsung Story 1.5tb single hdd (unimportant stuff for occassional access)

Ive narrowed down search to ;

Billion 7800n (no "nas" option available:(, plugnplay easy to setup)
Billion Products for SSL VPN, ADSL Modem/Router, Wireless ADSL Router, Powerline ADSL Router and Adapter, VoIP ADSL Modem/Router, Security Router, Broadband Router, SHDSL Bridge/Router, iBusiness Security, ISDN Product

Draytek 2710n (does it all but maybe a bit overkill as quite complex)
DrayTek Vigor 2710 Series ADSL Router, Firewall and VPN Device

Netgear Dgn330 (firmware reliable yet??)
DGND3300

Im not particularly scared off by the technical side of things, am patient, and am even willing to take time to read all 191 pages of the Draytek router manual if need be! :D
Anyone had personal experiences of the above kit? anyone recommend anything else that meets my basic requirements?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated in advance from this novice!

Last edited:
O

och29

I've just bought a Linksys WAG320N since my last modem/router suddenly died. I couldn't afford to compare different models and had to go out and buy one but having said that I am more than happy with it. It has b/g/n wireless, 4 gigabit ethernet ports, a USB for NAS and some of the more advanced firmware features like QoS. Also the technical support is great and you are using something made by Cisco who have an excellent reputation for network gear.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom