ADSL connection sharing between MAC OS X & xbox live

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by tjgedny, Nov 25, 2004.

1. tjgedny

tjgedny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking for some help as I've had no joy in setting this up. Basically I've subscribed to Demon Home 500 broadband and been supplied with a USB modem. I thought it in theory that you should be able to share the connection to the xbox via an ethernet cable but I'm having no joy. The xbox keeps complaining about the IP address and DNS.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could get this working? Or even if its possible! I'll eventually buy a router but wanted a short term solution.

Cheers in advance for any help.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    i think you need to reboot the modem between swapping the connection over and using on Xbox/PC and set Xbox settings up but a router is alot easier and simplier..

3. shabbyroad

shabbyroad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as far as I know there is no software for the Mac OS to enable internet connection sharing (as with Windows). I'm open to correction on this though.

Recommend that you get an ethernet router/DSL modem and set it all up that way - much more straightforward and doesn't require that you leave a PC/Mac switched on to enable internet usage for other devices.

4. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    On your Mac, open up System Preferences. Go to Internet & Network, Sharing.

Click on Internet.

Tell it where to share from (whatever your USB device is listed as), and where to share to (built-in ethernet).

Start internet sharing and you're done.

Works fine - I used my xbox through my Mac (sharing from ethernet over wireless) when my wireless bridge stopped working.

Cheers, Carl.

5. tjgedny

tjgedny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried this and still can't get it too work. Do you know if you have to make any settings in Ethernet settings. In the network status I'm getting an orange light and the mac is suggesting that there is no IP address assigned to the ethernet port - do you know if this is right? I'd presume if this was working the network status would show a green light?

Thanks for all the help so far!

6. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Ok, you'll have to setup the TCP config for the ethernet connection. My memories a bit hazy - it was a while since I set this up, so you may have to mess around a bit.

On your USB you should have a bunch of TCP/IP settings - IP address, subnet, DNS etc (I assume - never used a USB modem). Take a look in System Preferences - Network.

You'll need to setup the same for the Ethernet, but use manual settings. If I remember correctly, the USB and Ethernet need to be on seperate subnets. Try using an IP address of 10.0.0.1, subnet 255.255.255.0, router should be the IP address of the USB, DNS should be the same as USB.

Your xbox will then have to have an IP of 10.0.0.2, router 10.0.0.1, DNS and subnet same as the ethernet on the Mac.

That's roughly what I did to share my wireless - can't be sure it'll work for sharing your USB connection, but it's worth a go.

if it doesn't work, post back the settings for your USB TCP/IP just in case the numbers clash.

Cheers, Carl.

7. tjgedny

tjgedny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still no joy I'm afraid. The settings which I'm getting from the USB modem are :

IP Address: This is created everytime I log on. For example it is currently 62.56.40.106

Router: 217.41.201.200
    DNS Servers: These are currnetly not set in the USB modem preferences. (The field is just blank?)
    Subnet mask : No value is shown here.

Thanks again for all the help so far. May have to give up soon and get a router! Just frustrating as quite a few people have claimed its possible to run xbox live through internet connection sharing.

8. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    It is possible - I've done it.

But I'm using a proper ADSL modem & router. The problem is that USB thingy - they're fine for a single connection, but a nightmare for sharing. And you'll have to check it's IP address everytime you connect because you're using DHCP - so it's automatically asking for a new IP address everytime that you connect to your ISP.

A proper router will solve your problems, for sure. In the meantime, you should be able to figure out the DNS address using Terminal. Just open a new window and type 'nslookup'. This should give you the address of the DNS server that's has been configured by DHCP. Then type 'exit'.

That should be all the pieces you need, but you will have to check the IP address hasn't changed (and, I think, it's possible that it can change while you're using it !), so longer term a router is called for.

Cheers, Carl.

9. tjgedny

tjgedny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0