Question ADSL/2+ Modem / Router

AlistairS

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Moving home soon and will be going from VM 200 down to Plusnet 7Mbps :( (guaranteed) I currently use an ASUS AC66U having the VM in modem only mode.

Can the AC66U be used on ADSL/ADSL2+ and if not what would folk recommend?

Thanks

As I understand it....

If they provide you with a dedicated modem or device that can be put into modem mode like the Super Hub, then I don't see why you can't continue to use the AC66U as the router.

If they give you a device that combines modem and router capabilities and cannot be put into modem mode, then you can't use the AC66U as the router. You would need to get a DSL router to replace the provider's device, assuming they allow this.

I assume you have an Asus RT-AC66U? If so, this alone will not give you a connection on Plusnet adsl as there's no DSL modem in the AC66U. You can either try using the supplied Plusnet router in bridge mode (modem only mode) and connect that to the AC66U or buy a new compatible router. if you want to stick with Asus, something like the Asus DSL-AC88U will be an excellent choice however stay away from other DSL-XXXXX variants such as the DSL-68U as it uses the notorious Mediatek DSL chipset. If you want something cheaper then consider something like the TP Link VR900v2 or Netgear D7000. For the cheapest solution, just buy a standaloen ADSL modem such as the Draytek Vigor 120 and hook that up to the Asus RT-AC66U.

I didn't take the free modem/router as I remember a number of years back that the kit supplied was terrible. I actually have a BT Openreach modem from a few years back. Could that be used?

I didn't take the free modem/router as I remember a number of years back that the kit supplied was terrible. I actually have a BT Openreach modem from a few years back. Could that be used?
No, the modem is matched to the line, so plugging in the BT modem wouldn't work, plusnet would have to activate/approve it. You may be limited to modems that plusnet will support. I would start off with the kit offered by Plusnet and if the wifi range is poor then you can piggy back the AC66U onto the plusnet router

No, the modem is matched to the line, so plugging in the BT modem wouldn't work, plusnet would have to activate/approve it. You may be limited to modems that plusnet will support. I would start off with the kit offered by Plusnet and if the wifi range is poor then you can piggy back the AC66U onto the plusnet router
Problem is I placed order yesterday without the hardware :( Will try and contact them to see if it can be changed

here is an article on the plusnet website I found
Can I use the modem/router I already have?
We strongly advise taking one of the routers we supply, unless you're an experienced Internet user.
When you sign up to Plusnet broadband you can choose to take a wireless router.
If you'd rather use your own, make sure you check it is compatible.
Want to use a router from another broadband provider? Be aware that many providers lock routers to their network so you may not be able to use it.

The following questions should help you decide:

Standard Broadband
  • Does your router say ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ in its description? (You may want to search for the model name if you don't have details to hand)
  • Have you bought your router from a high street/online retailer?
Fibre Broadband
  • Does your router say VDSL2 Fibre in its product description? (You may want to search for the model name if you don't have details to hand)
  • Have you bought your router from a reputable high street/online retailer?
If you answered Yes to both questions, it's likely that your router is compatible with our service. If you answered No, we'd advise you to take our router to be on the safe side.

Should you find that your router isn't compatible once your broadband service is up and running, call us on 0800 432 0200.

So it it possible to get your own router as long as you choose a suitable model

I could be wrong as I’ve never had plusnet. But I’ve switched many a time providers and always just used my Openreach modem only, and then put my existing router in it.

I’d be surprised if plusnet uses different technology.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom