• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Ads on Page

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Accepting the case for ads the site has to pay for itself... anyone else finding they are reducing the display size of pictures posted as I am seeing them in at the top of a new thread in with the post and pictures and taking up 1/3rd of the width and squeezing the pics ? Is there an alternative ? Say £2 per month for no ads... they seem to be coming very obtrusive

Last edited:

shotokan101

Banned
...as long as you pay for me Gazza that's fine... :p

bobbymax

Prominent Member
Firefox (Add block)

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Tried blocking but it persists in the cookies. I don't mind some ads on the website but not in my posts. They are tracking ads so are supposed to be based on websites visited and I haven't been on some of them. Issue for me is the sheer size of the ads.only seem to appear in first post so maybe just post a hello in first one and pics in the rest.

Annoying and putting me off AVForums

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Yep...text in first ad and then pictures works. Stops pictures being squeezed

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Adblock stops it of course but I don't mind ads on the website as such... its when they appear in the thread box that it becomes an imposition. When it obstructs or diminishes my enjoyment of the site then its a problem. I used to think websites like this were about the members but there usually comes a tipping point where the site is more important than the members. AVF isn't there yet but its a danger

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
Obviously, AVF is all about members but obviously it isn't free to operate. The management team are constantly trying to balance maintaining revenue whilst keeping it a friendly place to browse.

No mods were inured in the making of this post! ;)

topgazza

Distinguished Member
And its still a great site :)

My only real irritation are the AdChoices tracking ads that have started to pop up in the threads themselves. they compress the pictures as they take up over a third of the width of the post. If ever there was a reason NOT to click on an ad being very annoyed is a sure fire guarantee. I'll post a request in the website questions thread to ask if they can at least be moved.

Last edited:

shotokan101

Banned
Obviously, AVF is all about members but obviously it isn't free to operate. The management team are constantly trying to balance maintaining revenue whilst keeping it a friendly place to browse.

No mods were inured in the making of this post! ;)

...I'm still trying to work out if you are actually clever enough to have "done" that one or whether it was just a fortuitous typo..... I know which way I'm leaning at the moment though... but you have had your moments in the past.... and I don't mean Cadbury's.... :devil:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom