Adreno 220 gpu

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by djmondy, Jan 1, 2012.

1. djmondy

djmondy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Will future Windows phones include this gpu? articles claim power is on par with current home consoles.

my phone uses the Adreno 200.

Also hoping for a front facing camera :)

2. jdevil

jdevil
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,366
    Front facing cameras are already here for the 2nd gen phones like the Samsung Focus S (us only).

Adreno 220 gpu is useless without any software taking advantage of it, this is why IOS is a million miles ahead of Android as there market is fragmented as hell (thanks to all of the hardware differences). They already have several 3rd party markets like Terga Zone and Gameloft.

Articles may claim it is on par with home consoles but how many games have we seen that offers very good gameplay or depth that the newly released GTA 3 game has.

3. RobM

RobM
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    Chicken and the Egg. You can't see the benefits of hardware like this without software to exploit it. You can't create games to compete with consoles without hardware that can run them though.

Software almost always follows hardware in situations like. You can't write it off before it's even begun.

4. jdevil

jdevil
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,366
    I'm not but my point is we're already moving to quad core mobile phones by next year without even utilising dual core to its maximum potential. This is why WP7 works just great with a single core processor and really fast and snappy.

My point to the OP was the GPU is not that important if we don't have the software that runs it, hence why GTA 3 runs perfectly fine on older devices.

5. RobM

RobM
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    That surely depends on how long you'll be keeping the phone for. If it's a 6-month affair or you change phones very often, you're right, it's not important. But if you're buying with an 18/24 month contract and will be keeping it, it will be an important consideration if you intend on gaming during your time with the phone (which I assume the OP will be, given the question asked). It wont take long after this hardware becomes common place for games to be optimised for it.

As for quad-core phones, leave that to the Android crowd who feel it's necessary for their OS to run quickly. As you quite rightly say, WP7 runs smoothly on a single core CPU :)