Adobe Photoshop CC and Lightroom Limited time Offer

snerkler

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Just seen on the Adobe site that you can get the subscription service for Photoshop CC, LR desktop, Lightroom Mobile and Web for £8.78/month for 12 months. Much cheaper than the forty odd quid rip off it normally is. I think the normal subscription is so overpriced, over £500 per year. You could buy both Photoshop and lightroom for less than this before (I believe, happy to be corrected) and you have it for life. Granted with the subscription you get all the latest updates/versions, but even if you only keep the software 3 years, being able to buy it would still work out £1000 cheaper over those 3 years :(

The Photoshop CC + LR 'bundle' has been available for several months now - and was sufficient to get me to opt for it.
I wanted to keep LR 3.x for my laptop (as it is XP, and needs to be for some work related software on it), so could not simply get an upgrade (you are not allowed to upgrade and leave 1 of the 2 installations on the old version), so 'needed' a full copy - and the monthly subscription suddenly made a lot of sense.

Paying £15 a month for entire creative cloud.. but maybe I should 'downgrade'... hmm

Paying £15 a month for entire creative cloud.. but maybe I should 'downgrade'... hmm
How're you getting it for that price? :eek:

Student/Teacher subscription :)
That's a fair price imo. £46.88/month is just too much for me.

What does Photoshop offer over Lightroom for general photo editing?

That's a fair price imo. £46.88/month is just too much for me.

What does Photoshop offer over Lightroom for general photo editing?

I used it for cloning out things I cannot do with the LR spot removal tool.
Processing studio shoots and portraits where I want to clean skin tones etc..

It would be a lot slower to process files like you do with lightroom - but when you want to pay an image particular attention, you can do a lot more.

I used it for cloning out things I cannot do with the LR spot removal tool.
Processing studio shoots and portraits where I want to clean skin tones etc..

It would be a lot slower to process files like you do with lightroom - but when you want to pay an image particular attention, you can do a lot more.
Yeah, cloning out in LR's good but not great. I find aperture better tbh, you can preselect where it clones from which I find very useful. Annoyingly some things are better in Lr and some aperture :rolleyes: I prefer curves in Aperture and the way it applies sharpening, plus the auto curves and colour (using the RGB one) work great most of the time saving a lot of time. However, the profiles in LR are much better imo, as is noise reduction (although I'm rarely using noise reduction these days), plus LR has grain and lens profiles which Aperture doesn't. I think vignette is better in LR too.

I've started to use both in combination, but in order to do this is creates an extra tiff file so uses double the disk space :rolleyes: If you use LR to do most of the adjustments and then send to PS does it create an extra file?

I usually end up with an extra file - but that might be by choice. I make a lot of changes in photoshop - I don't want to lose the original.

I usually end up with an extra file - but that might be by choice. I make a lot of changes in photoshop - I don't want to lose the original.
Is PS destructive then?

Is PS destructive then?

Not if you use layers properly, it takes some practice but I'm getting the hang of it mostly. Not to say there's a LOT still to learn.

The files become very big, that you may need to collapse layers which takes some time to process (bit like zipping layers).

Anyway, I think it must save as a PSD anyway - so yes you will get two files. Your RAW and your PSD.

Thanks. Sounds complicated :confused:

Thanks. Sounds complicated :confused:

I bought greater than gatsby to make processing in photoshop quicker.

Here's an example of it being used.

It automates some of the processes to make layers to use for things like skin tones/smoothing and they you paint the layer on.

It automates some of the processes to make layers to use for things like skin tones/smoothing and they you paint the layer on.

Wow, certainly a powerful tool (although I don't like his final image). Looks like you don't have to get any of the shot right, you can even change the lighting :eek:

Is PS destructive then?

I just convert it to a smart object and export my files from Lightroom into Photoshop as DNG files. That way the RAW file stays as is. If I screw the DNG file up ? I just overwrite it by exporting it out of LR again.

Photoshop Help | Create Smart Objects | CC, CS6

Not if you use layers properly, it takes some practice but I'm getting the hang of it mostly. Not to say there's a LOT still to learn.

I've barely scratched the surface myself, however once I start doing more portraits I will have a reason to delve into photoshop a lot more.

The files become very big, that you may need to collapse layers which takes some time to process (bit like zipping layers).

When I'm doing B&W conversions properly (not using Silver Efex) the layers tend to get very big. Though handily photoshop tells you how much memory an image is using. It crashed today and I wasn't even using that many layers. It has a wobble at least once a week.

Anyway, I think it must save as a PSD anyway - so yes you will get two files. Your RAW and your PSD.

PSD files save all the layers, so If i'm doing something complex I save it as a PSD to finish off at a later date.

Looks interesting.

There's always LR + Elements ;)

Thought about it ;)

Am considering subscribing for £8/month to give me time to play with PS and see if I can learn how to use it. It does look a very powerful bit of kit for sure. I'm just questioning when I'd use it though. Sure I could fine tweak things to my hearts content, but I'd need good pictures to start with :laugh:

But £8/month doesn't break the bank ;)

GLWT - hope your practice isn't busy..... ;)

Tried that before. It's just not powerful enough for the things I like to do, not everything I edit ends up online. Anyway my workflow is - Tweak in LR export to Photoshop do layer things, use dfine 2 for noise control etc

Tried that before. It's just not powerful enough for the things I like to do, not everything I edit ends up online. Anyway my workflow is - Tweak in LR export to Photoshop do layer things, use dfine 2 for noise control etc

What ? - you mean you actually bin some of it ? :D

But seriously - even the recent version isn't powerful enough? - I know that (for obvious reasons) there are some differences in functionality between PS and PSE (especially in the layers/masks area) but I thought that the differences had narrowed and that a cheap addon available for PSE helped even further ?

What ? - you mean you actually bin some of it ? :D

Nope, I have few dvds full of PSD files. My mum might bin those by mistake though.
She's good at chucking stuff I want to keep, that she thinks is rubbish.

But seriously - even the recent version isn't powerful enough? - I know that (for obvious reasons) there are some differences in functionality between PS and PSE (especially in the layers/masks area) but I thought that the differences had narrowed and that a cheap addon available for PSE helped even further ?

Yes well the big difference for me is, what is long winded in PSE is pretty short in Photoshop proper. For me PSE just can't compete with Shake Reduction, the more advanced content aware tool and all the other tools you just won't find in PSE. Plus with the creative cloud, you get new features in Photoshop as soon as Adobe decides to release them. Between LR and Photoshop, I can do portrait touch ups without needing to buy extra software.

Nope, I have few dvds full of PSD files. My mum might bin those by mistake though.
She's good at chucking stuff I want to keep, that she thinks is rubbish.

Yes well the big difference for me is, what is long winded in PSE is pretty short in Photoshop proper. For me PSE just can't compete with Shake Reduction, the more advanced content aware tool and all the other tools you just won't find in PSE. Plus with the creative cloud, you get new features in Photoshop as soon as Adobe decides to release them. Between LR and Photoshop, I can do portrait touch ups without needing to buy extra software.
Interesting. TBH though, the touch ups I can do in LR5 and Aperture are good enough for me, there's some good videos showing how to do full touch ups in LR and so need PS less.

I'm not a 'pro' though and I guess if you want the absolute best then photoshop is the tool :)

Hello,
I am interested in photoshop.I like to thanks all of you for these conversation.

I signed up for this back in Dec, and although i had "copies" of the software already i felt £8 a month was reasonable. Ive not really used PS much, i tend to do most things in LR, but PS is handy for the more advanced black magic stuff :)
Really glad i did sign up though, as ive been using LR mobile almost every day since it came out. More just fiddling rather than any serious "work", but its definitely saving me some PC time.
Upload from my 5DMKIII to iPad, basic edits in LR or PS Touch, then up to FB or wherever. All without turning the computer on or being at home.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom