• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Adobe Elements 4.0 vs Photoshop CS

barongreenback

I've been offered a copy of Photoshop CS at a knock down price but I've also seen that the new version of Photoshop Elements is now out at version 4.0. Costwise, they would be around about the same price so which one should I opt for? I understand that Elements would handle RAW direct from my EOS350d whereas CS wouldn't but that's all I know so far.

Could anyone give me any pointers?

Thanks

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
barongreenback said:
I understand that Elements would handle RAW direct from my EOS350d whereas CS wouldn't but that's all I know so far.

CS is a more advanced version than Elements isn't it?

I don't know much about versions, but if you were shooting RAW then would it be any advantage to have CS?, assuming the quote above is correct? I would guess that they do pretty much the same.

Anyone?

barongreenback

CS can't handle RAW directly from the EOS 350d. CS2 can but unfortunately I don't have £499 in my pocket! I'm also wondering if at this stage CS is far too advanced for me.

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
Depends how you look at it I suppose, CS will do the same as elements but elements will probably allow you to do it more easily as it's designed for lower end users, whereas CS might not be so immediately useable it will probably give more versatility. This is all assumption by the way, i've used neither. I use PS7

senu

Distinguished Member
I find Photoshop Elements (3/4) (with one of Scott Kelbys Books) has 85-95% Photoshop ability but at lower cost and simpler to use..They do even have some things the "full" Photoshop hasnt!

If you think there are absolute Photoshop features you must have there is a workaround.

Adobe has a digital negative converter ( free download) that will convert Canon Cr2 raw files to the Dng raw for opening in Photoshop CS .
Maybe Im only a ( lazy so and so) enthusiast: I do actually have CS2 but tend use the APE more often for day to day photo editing.
You can do simple things and impressive stuff in CS . However you can do equally quite impressive stuff in Elements with less effort

bibamus

I dont think elements has Curves. I have CS2 ( on an Apple Mac) and now use curves more than anything else. But, I agree Elements is probably as much as most people can handle........and then some
Allan

SeanT

Distinguished Member
Get CS, no point getting the cheapo version for the same price as the pro software!!!

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
get CS, as then you have an upgrade path if you fancy CS2 at any stage. Bit like getting on the housing ladder with Adobe.

I have elements 3 at home, and photoshop 7 (yes, ancient I know) at work. I do miss curves at home, and channels seems more difficult to find on elements (don't know about 4.0).

Zone

Curves for Elements here keep meaning to download this and give it a try.

senu

Distinguished Member
As stated in an earlier post, I have both PS CS2 and Elements(3/4) and would like remind those CS proponents that:

350D CR2 (raw ) files are not natively supported by CS (though I suggested a workaround, just as a curves workaround for elements has also been suggested)

Elements is easier to use and is not as basic in ability as its name suggests especially in its newer "models":smashin:

Apart from Curves, Layer masks ( and maybe channels) and advanced print management what else will be missed from CS by a new user? I needed a graphic for use with an alpha chanel( for video) recently and had to use CS2 . I later found that using elements and saving as png would have got me there. Sure its a compromise but I dont need alpha chanel backgrounds everyday.

Obviously there are some compromises to be made with either choice but I sort of lean towards Elements 4 because of ease of use , less steep learning curve to achieve results+ it can handle the 350d raw files out of the box
Either way a good book is a must and there are Scott Kelby books( as mentioned in an earlier post) covering all varieties of Photoshop: ( 7, CS, CS2 Elements 1-4):cool:

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Zone,

Many thanks for that link! Not only is there a proper curves feature accessible from elements 3, but also a channel mixer and layer masks!

Ray

Off topic but ......

Are the Scott Kelby books any good ?

Ray

senu

Distinguished Member
Rayfin said:
Off topic but ......

Are the Scott Kelby books any good

No... not off topic:

They are excellent.

I say not off topic because he has written books for both Elements and Photoshop ( relevant to the theme of this thread) and you feel reading the books that whichever you have you will be able to maximise the use of that particular software.
If you have the time,have a browse thru them at your local PC World. The writing style is very easy reading but they are informative enough to be used as reference material.My 16 year old niece is a budding "Photoshop expert" ( or so she thinks :rolleyes: ) just after reading a few chapters
He really knows the software and conveys that in an easily digested way in his writing . He seems to be able to anticipate questions regarding how particular effects are achieved especially in the "Down and dirty tricks" and "....for digital photographer" series
They are also inexpensive. The hardest bit is finding time to read them!!:smashin:

bibamus

Couldnt agree more with Senu, those books are excellent. Its probably best to skim through them at first ( unless one section particulary interests you) and get an idea of what it covers.
As I said before, I like "curves" There is another excellent book ( Photoshop Lab Book by Dan Margulis that goes into curves in great detail) that, with the Kelby books will enable you to use both Photoshop and Elements to their full potential.
So, you were right, we wern`t off topic...
Allan

barongreenback

Thanks for all the advice guys. I've gone for Elements and I've bought the accompanying Kelby book to go with it. I think CS may be too advanced for what I need at the moment, especially as I'm starting out with very little knowledge of image manipulation. I shall let you know my experiences in due course...

S

Sarah Nya

please do, i'm looking at them now and can't decide either plus almost £500.00 seems a bit steep for someone like me who has only just got their first digital camera!

don't ask what happened to my caps button...

senu

Distinguished Member
Sarah, ...........Just get Elements!!;)

It will leave you with spare money for that super duper lens of your dreams:thumbsup:

Besides it really is inexpensive enough to fling on e-bay if you find yourself mastering it in no time and feeling the need to move on!:rolleyes:

S

Sarah Nya

i think i will do just that, you're right i can just flogg it if i find myself missing something thats in ps cs2 at a later date :D

ush flynn

if you have never used either program its well worth starting out with elements and a good book like you have done, Elements has come a long way and like someone said it offers over 80% of CS2's features... which is nice!
Things you may well use like the easy red eye reduction and Levels control for photos that havent been exposed properly. Elements is more than enough for the amount of editing people do to photos. I use version 7 at home and CS2 at work and on the laptop, i use it to create rastered objects where i wouldnt neccessarily need to use vectors in illustrator. Its also cool for mocking up stage setups and things like that
Stockleyimage1.jpg

we have to knock them up real fast to show clients, i usually do it in front of them so they can have it how they like. Sorry bout the aliasing, had to compress it loads but you get the idea. Im not totally sure i could have made that so easily on elements

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I've just been reading up about the new version of Elements (version 5) and this now has curves :)

senu

Distinguished Member
Yes I think it has simplified presets though and is may be considered by some to be "lame" compared to curves in PS (provided you use actually it in PS !!)
Have a look at
This

That however doesn't detract from Elements being a very nice affordable software.
PC World are doing a £69 (probably in conjunction with Adobe) Bundle ( PSE 5 with with Premiere Elements 3) which seems good considering each title is only £10 less normally.
I quite tempted myself!

Steve N

Distinguished Member
How does Capture NX compare against Elements.

I read somewhere that you have to download a plug-in for Elements to be able to deal with some of the Nikon Nef(raw) files.
There was another thread on here where a member said his Elements plug-in worked fine for a while and then failed.

V

vulkan75

I've just been reading up about the new version of Elements (version 5) and this now has curves

Yes it does and its remarkably simple to use.

To quote scott kelby,

"users of the full pro version of Adobe photoshop have had the benefit of using colour curves since version 1,and its the pros choice for colour correction without a doubt.Theres' only one problem- its a bit hard for most folks to master.
Thats why you'll fall in love with the new colour curves just introduced in Elements 5,because it makes using curves so easy,it will actually make the pro users of photoshop jealous.Adobe has done a brilliant job of giving us the power of curves without the hassles and steep learning curve.life is good."

And it is simple,just a case of picking from the thumbnails for basic correction or for more advanced adjustments you can adjust the sliders to alter the curve, for that classic s-shape.:)

Seems to be a common statement from scott kelby, that full blown photoshop pros,will be jealous of Some of Elements 5 abilities,with nearly all things done with cs2, can also be done with elements 5 either more simply or via work around,and the results of which are virtually indistinguishable from one another.

I for one am a happy customer.:)

V

vulkan75

read somewhere that you have to download a plug-in for Elements to be able to deal with some of the Nikon Nef(raw) files

Yes can be had Here

There was another thread on here where a member said his Elements plug-in worked fine for a while and then failed

Mine has worked fine from day one.

Awesome piece of software for the price and a no brainer.if your not a Cs2 pro user(meaning you know how to use it fully).

I have Cs3 beta and use elements 5 much more(not that I understand half the stuff in cs3)

I for one ,would recommend elements 5 to anyone and scott kelby seems to think even pro users will like it too.

Strobe

New Elements 5.0 user here as well, just starting to get to grips with it (used to using PSP10). I also have Scott Kelby's book on order. Also, keep an eye out in the newsagents for 'Photoshop Focusguide' £7.99 ... just picked it up, not as in-depth as a proper book but good as a starter point.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom