Adobe Creative Cloud: Mac App Alternatives?

RoadsterUK

A couple of days ago Adobe announced that its Creative Suite Software is to be rebranded as Creative Cloud, the development of its creative suit line will come to an end.
Whilst Adobe CS6 will still be supported and available for purchase, all future products will be provided through the subscription-only Creative Cloud service. However even with discounts, Adobe's software was out of the price range for many students and entry-level professionals.
However I see a problem in that alot of people don't always have guaranteed income. If income runs short one month and they can't make the subscription payment, their access to the software that provides their livelihood is cut off. Whilst other won't want to be tied to a subscription service or use the cloud.

So therefore my question is:

What are the best Mac App alternatives which are cheaper (or perhaps free), that provide the same or similar core functionality in each of Adobe's products to make your very own Creative Suite ?

Perhaps one app per answer with a link to the Mac App Store, and brief description.

Tenex

Novice Member
Pixelmator is the most often recommended, about $15 in the MAS. Acorn has also just been upgraded to v4.

Norman

This is happening across the board (MS Office is another example) and I for one strongly disapprove of the "Cloud Only" options for the reasons you state (and more).
Guaranteeing income through subscription rather than periodic renewal is the way forward for software companies and its not only going to hurt some end users but distribution too.

CH_Peter

+1 Pixelmator. Excellent app.

RoadsterUK

Camtasia £69.99 (Alternative to Adobe Premiere)

if you are looking for a tool that will help you create screen captures then Camtasia is the best tool that will deliver everything you need to make a professional-looking video.

PeterH988

Pixelmator for me (I'm a pro photographer) I've been using it for a while, and found it serves virtually all of my needs, although I've never been much of a photoshopped, I'm one of the 'get it right in camera' dinosaurs, It has pushed PS to probably my 4th used software, behind, pixelmator, lightroom and aperture.

I'll probably give Acorn a try as its on sale, too.

I've had photoshop since version 2.5, but won't be moving to a rental scheme.

Photoshop - Pixelmator, Acorn has just had an update looking good, and then there is GIMP. If you have photo bias I'd just go with Aperture only and the excellent Nik Plugin suite job done.

Fireworks - The above list can do both, but my use for fireworks could probably be covered by Graphics Converter from Lemke. I was a user of that well over 13 years ago and an excellent piece of software great for conversions of all sorts. But also dont forget Preview, it has so much hidden powers...

Illustrator - Inkscape, very good I like it...Don't know if Corel is still about...Never used it but there is also Xara

Dreamweaver - Well take your pick, there are so many alternatives...Although one thing Dreamweaver is getting good at is JQuery development in HTML5...I prefer it to the opensource IDE's

Premiere Pro / After Effects - Depending on your needs there is iMovie and FCP etc...

Adobe Acrobat - It is all build in anyway :)

InDesign - Pages is actually very very good at this, then there is Scribus, and Calamus something I used from the Atari days...Very very good

Audition - Apple Pro Tools I think...I don't do much with that really...

Hope that helped and provided a few options...However to me it is a little bit like MS Office....Individually there are better programs, working together as a suite you can't beat it. And compatibility leaves some things to be desired as well...As a professional where it is earning money, the time lost is just not worth my while...

blue max

Distinguished Member
A lot of people have CS6 and have become really fed up with the constant upgrades. Perhaps this will put the brakes on and everyone will stick with CS6 for a good while.

We'll see if Adobe's gamble pays off.

PeterH988

A lot of people have CS6 and have become really fed up with the constant upgrades. Perhaps this will put the brakes on and everyone will stick with CS6 for a good while.

We'll see if Adobe's gamble pays off.
I bet they'll find a way of making the new camera profiles incompatible with the 'older' software, though.

blue max

Distinguished Member
I bet they'll find a way of making the new camera profiles incompatible with the 'older' software, though.
I'm sure there will be problems to overcome, but maybe people will stick with their 'old' cameras too. I got my daughter an old 20d and it still does well. They are well beyond what most people generally 'need' now anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom