Adjusting sleeping pattern???

zz101

Banned
Having been off work for around 3 months (mostly on full pay due to redundancy :clap: ) I have got into the habit of going to bed at 4am and getting up at 1pm ish.

Now I need to look for another job these hours arent practical. Anyone got any suggestions how to reset to sleeping between 2am and 10am??

Getting up earlier doesnt work as I'll just fall asleep during the day and going to bed earlier doesnt work as I just dont sleep.

:boring: :eek:

:)

Dave

Distinguished Member
The easiest way is to get up half an hour earlier each day and go to bed half an hour earlier. Ease you back in to it.

I've always found it's easier to just get up earlier, be really tired for a day then have an early night.

williamtassone

Novice Member
One prominent sleep physician in Australia advocated winding your clock forward

sleep at 4 am
next night sleep at at 4.30am
next night sleep at 5 am

etc etc . Of course you wake up half an hour later each day.

Eventually within 10 days your circadian rhythm is back in sync.

I found this method worked better for me than waking up a bit earlier every day which for me made me feel like sh*t. YMMV

I think reversal of the sleep wake cycle (whereby people sleep better in the day ) is a bit of an epidemic

neilmcl

Having been off work for around 3 months (mostly on full pay due to redundancy :clap: ) I have got into the habit of going to bed at 4am and getting up at 1pm ish.

Now I need to look for another job these hours arent practical. Anyone got any suggestions how to reset to sleeping between 2am and 10am??

Getting up earlier doesnt work as I'll just fall asleep during the day and going to bed earlier doesnt work as I just dont sleep.

:boring: :eek:

:)
Try using an alarm clock :rolleyes:

Seriously though, a week of getting up at the new time will be all it takes to reset your body clock.

Pat_C

Novice Member
You want to find another job where you can sleep until 10am? :eek:

I recommend a bit of self-discipline, and maybe a few cold showers. And if that fails you could try joining the army. They'll sort you out :devil:

RMCF

Distinguished Member

I recommend a bit of self-discipline, and maybe a few cold showers. And if that fails you could try joining the army. They'll sort you out :devil:
Yeah but you'll get dragged of in some illegal invasion of an oil rich country where you aren't wanted, where the situation is getting worse by the day and there's no light at the end of the tunnel.

Hope this isn't too political for General Chat!!

Pat_C

Novice Member
Yeah but you'll get dragged of in some illegal invasion of an oil rich country where you aren't wanted, where the situation is getting worse by the day and there's no light at the end of the tunnel.
Yes, there is a down side. But I hear that after a few years in the army it is second nature to leap out of bed at 05:30 every morning (and probably salute too). No pain, no gain etc.

sore napper

Novice Member
A Few Tips To Help Sleep

No exercise 3 hours before bedtime (includes sex :D )

No caffeine after 6pm

Pick your new sleeping times and stick too them. Even if it means a few sleepless nights.

You are not allowed to sleep during the day. Even a 10 min nap could leave you up all night.

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
get up at 1pm as usual, then dont go to bed till 9pm the following day...you'll wake up after 10 hours kip at 7am and bingo :)

edit: just so you know, this is what i do and it works every time :)

I'm always up late when i'm unemployed, altho being honest 4am is an early night in those situations :D

stevefish69

get up at 1pm as usual, then dont go to bed till 9pm the following day...you'll wake up after 10 hours kip at 7am and bingo :)

This is what i used to do when coming off a stint of nights. On the final night, stay up as during the following day and off to bed at a reasonable time.

Within a couple of nights, i'd manage to reverse a 12hr sleeping cycle :thumbsup:

Good luck with the job hunting, but remember what they say about the early bird. 10Am :rolleyes:

zz101

Banned
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I'm a very deep sleeper so getting up early isnt going to work even with multiple alarms plus I like naps during the day.

I was thinking about get ****** early every night for a week or so?

Or is it easy to get sleeping pills off the doctor? :nono:

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
well its 5.28am and im just getting tired and im only off work for the xmas holidays. :D

Hopefully I'll get out of bed in time to see spurs beat liverpool at 3pm :rotfl:

Pat_C

Novice Member
I'm a very deep sleeper so getting up early isnt going to work even with multiple alarms plus I like naps during the day.
If you haven't got the basic self-discipline to get up and then stay awake during the day then you can't really expect anyone to employ you.

MikeTV

I used to be like that, but I cured it. I just set the alarm clock for the same time every day say, 6:30am. Then when the alarm goes off, you get up, immediately. No snoozing, just get up and go. Only go to bed when you feel tired - don't force yourself to go to bed at a specific time. You'll know when it is. But get up at the same time every day. And allow yourself some quiet time late in the evening to wind down. At weekends, you'll probably wake up naturally, at about 7:30 anyway. If you get up at a sensible time, you will enjoy more of the limited daylight we have in the winter, and will feel more awake during the day - instead of constantly feeling sleep deprived.

IronGiant

What side of bed did you get out of this morning Pat :)

Dave

MikeTV

Also, it's a bit weird, but I use a small vibrating alarm clock (actually a cell phone) under my pillow! It wakes me up calmly and quietly. And by the time I have found it, and switched it off, I'm wide awake!

Pat_C

Novice Member
What side of bed did you get out of this morning Pat :)
I think the time I got out of it is more relevant :)

But what I wrote was a simple reality, albeit perhaps a slightly harsh one.

(mutter mutter ... youth of today etc.)

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
hey zz101, dont pretend your sleeping :D

I'm just going to stay up all night and day and bring the bells in then hit the sack around this time in 24hrs.

Moviebuff

Only trouble is, you need to be voted in to become an MP! :devil:

Pat_C

Novice Member
Only trouble is, you need to be voted in to become an MP! :devil:
That has crossed my mind, and you're right that it would be problematic. For a start I have a deep hatred of the word "community", the use of which seems mandatory in what passes for politics these days.

My local council has a sign outside their offices that proudly proclaims they are "working in partnership with the local community". I have a job trying not to vomit when I walk past it.

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
I have a job trying not to vomit when I walk past it.
That's binge drinking for you.

I advocate the sating up all night approach to reset your body clock.
Skip a night's sleep and try and stay awake until a more normal bedtime the following evening and don't oversleep.

If you are in good health and aren't required to do any driving or dangerous machinery operating it won't do you any harm to skip a night's sleep. Just pretend you are on guard duty against the alien hoardes/flesh eating undead.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

Anthem launches latest AV receivers, processors and amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim and Focal discount premium music systems
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton