Adjusting sharpness using a multiburst test pattern

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Squirrel God, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I been running through the calibration exercises on Ultimate DVD Platinum today, but have become confused about the sharpness test, which uses a multiburst test pattern (increasing frequencies running left to right). The voice over says that I must adjust the sharpness until the right hand side vertical bars (high frequencies) roughly equal the contrast of the left hand side vertical bars (low frequencies).

I have played about with the sharpness control on my TV (w/s CRT) to see what happens, but I'm really not clear what the voice over meant by "making the right and left equal". What should I be looking out for on this test pattern to get the correct sharpness setting?

If someone can please shed some light on this for me, I'd be grateful :)

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think I found something of use:

Source: http://www.cybertheater.com/Tech_Reports/Mon_Eval_P1_Pwr_Supply/power_supply_eval.html

That makes more sense to me than the explanation that comes with Ultimate DVD Platinum (in fact, if the above is true, then the explanation given in the voice over on Ultimate DVD Platinum is in fact, wrong/misleading).

Damn I'm confused :( Would really appreciate any help from someone knowledgeable about this :(

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought I should post the test pattern (although there's a limit of 300 x 300 pixels so it's a bit squishy and some of the frequencies have been lost due to compression).

Attached Files:

• mb.jpg
      mb.jpg
      Size:
      14.1 KB
      Views:
  4. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I got my Ultimate DVD on Friday and I reckon you've got the right idea as far as this test goes.

The way I see it, the test is designed to calibrate sharpness, so adjusting the value so that the white lines on the left look the same as the whites on the right and the blacks on the LHS = those on the RHS get you the desired result.

Incidentally, referring to sharpness levels for Pixel+ Sets on another thread... the calibration indicates that sharpness is to be set at one notch above zero on my 9617.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually compared the image on my laptop's LCD (which should have "ideal sharpness") to see what is should look like, and there was a uniform "greyness" in between the lines (i.e. "the background") running all the way from the RHS of the screen to the LHS, with the exception of the first two strips on the left, which are close to white and black respectively. I couldn't get my TV looking exactly the same but I got it close - I'm guessing that's just down to differences between LCDs and CRTs. It's a shame the disk explains it so poorly. :rolleyes:
    That's way out on my LS60 I'm afraid - each TV will have different sharpness settings. Putting sharpness at a minimum totally blurs the picture on mine. I've currently set it to around the halfway mark (after some helpful discussions with Nic and Gordon - thanks guys) and think that's about right for this model :) The default was a tad too high, but then the defaults are always wrong aren't they :rolleyes: