Question Adjusting Audyssey Setup

TheCableGuy96

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Denon AVR-X3600H and after running the setup the distances can be out 'slightly' out. I was simply wondering if I should accept these values or should I set them to the exact (or nearest) value I can?

Also the setup is a 5.2.4 surround setup. Should I also use a digital sound meter to check all the speakers are the same level at the same point in the room or accept the values it detects? If I should use a sound meter, should I do it from the exact point I used the microphone during the setup and for all speakers except for the subwoofers?

Thanks for your help.

How does it sound ? Trust your ears.
without sounding rude, Have you ever used an SPL meter before? If you are asking questions like where do I locate it, I would guess your answer is no. That being the case I would tend to leave it alone. Audyssey MultEQ XT32 is pretty smart technology with some very complex maths and physics calculations I doubt that you could better it with an SPL meter.

I would accept the values for now. If it doesn't sound right you can always pay for theAudyssey App and tweak it yourself inside the app.

The only thing you should adjust after Audyssey is the crossovers and the speaker size. Always set your speakers to small and you will aiming at a crossover of 80hz for the fronts. The distances are more to do with audio timing as well as distance to the MLP and again should not be adjusted.

Well I always turn up the centre speaker a couple of db which is fine. However, I'm having an issue when I watch Amazon Prime where the sound effects are too loud for the dialogue. Or the dialogue is just too quiet. I find I have to turn it up another 5db on the centre speaker just for Prime Video.

I've tried it on different devices and the only thing it sounds right on are the TV app which I don't want to use because it doesn't support Atmos through ARC. On the Xbox and nVidia Sheild Prime app I am experiencing the issues.

You could some more information, perhaps some photos of the set up, certainly of the fronts. What make and model are the speakers. Wrong or poor positioning of a centre can cause a whole lot of trouble especially with dialogue.

Okay here's some pictures of the setup. I don't think it's the positioning of the speakers or the speakers themselves as it only happens with Prime Video. The TV (Sky Q), Plex and Netflix are all fine.

All the speakers are Gallo Micro SE's and 2x Dali 2-12F Subs.
IMG_0933 (Edited).JPGIMG_0934 (Edited).JPGIMG_0935 (Edited).JPG

All speakers are set to small, the sub crossover is 120hz and set to LFE+Main and all speakers are set to 120HTz as the manufacturer suggested I set them to that.

OK I have a 3400H and an NVidia shield. Can you give me a particular program / movie it happens on, I can go and try it on mine.

Turn off LFE+Main that could cause problems. Regardless of what the manufacturer has said you should not drop the crossover to any lower than Audyssey has calibrated. I mentioned 80hz earlier on because I did not know what speakers you have. Now knowing you have the Micros then you can forget that statement.

What was the calibrated roll off detected by Audyssey? I cannot see the centre's position on any photo but if it's on a shelf below the TV then try and get the front of the speaker sitting proud of the shelf's front edge.

OK I have a 3400H and an NVidia shield. Can you give me a particular program / movie it happens on, I can go and try it on mine.
Thanks, it's American Gods on Prime.

Turn off LFE+Main that could cause problems. Regardless of what the manufacturer has said you should not drop the crossover to any lower than Audyssey has calibrated. I mentioned 80hz earlier on because I did not know what speakers you have. Now knowing you have the Micros then you can forget that statement.

What was the calibrated roll off detected by Audyssey? I cannot see the centre's position on any photo but if it's on a shelf below the TV then try and get the front of the speaker sitting proud of the shelf's front edge.
The centre speaker is just below the TV in the centre at the middle. The Audyssey setup sets all the speakers to 150Hz apart from the centre one which it sets to the next setting up 180Hz. This is normal because it's not wall mounted I believe.

I'll try again with the speakers set to 150Hz and 180Hz for the centre and adjusting the bass to just LFE instead of LFE+Main.

Thanks, it's American Gods on Prime.
Some programmes can should crap and this is a source problem. If that is the only programme or film that the sound is poor on then that can certainly be the cause.

I must admit I don't know any others because I don't watch Prime much. It's the first I've come across. However, it's not happening when I watch it on my TV app rather than the shield or xbox. It also doesn't happen on my other TV upstairs with the Yamaha YSP-5600 on another Shield.

Some programmes can should crap and this is a source problem. If that is the only programme or film that the sound is poor on then that can certainly be the cause.
Seeing as though the LFE option didn't resolve the issue, should I change it back to LFE+Main or leave it at LFE only?

How are the Shield (sorry I know absolutely nothing about that) connected and to what. Same with the Xbox. Are they connected to the TV, so appliance>TV>receiver or appliance>receiver>TV. If the sound is better from the TV's app rather than the other two sources then that would suggest it could a source connection.

Leave on LFE, +Main can cause boomy bass and it best suited to far bigger speakers than you are using anyway. You want all your low frequencies below 150hz directed to the sub, +Main would send low frequency signals to the speakers as well.

Okay I've set the sub to LFE only.

Because my TV doesn't support HDMI 2.1 I use a HDMI Splitter to split the signal from the source then the sound goes direct to the amp and the video direct to the TV.

So it goes for the sound:
Source (either Xbox or Shield) > HDFury Maestro (Splitter) > Denon AMP
For the TV Picture:
Source (either Xbox or Shield) > HDFury Maestro (Splitter) > HDFury Diva (For reactive TV lighting) > Samsung QE75Q9FN TV

If I'm leaving the sub crossover at 120Hz and the speakers at 150z and centre speaker at 180Hz... am I not loosing sound between 120Hz and 150Hz?

Thanks.

I think I've sussed out the issue...

In the settings for the Denon > Setup > Audio > Audyssey there is a setting for Dynamic Volume. Even set at low it seems to amplify the background sounds drowning out the dialogue. I've turn it off and it seems much better now.

I would still love your opinion on the speakers being set at 150Hz and the Sub being set at 120Hz please?

Yes, DV does compress the sound. Always best with it off. Audyssey has set 150hz because the room plays a part in audio as well and Audyssey takes account of this, hence the 150hz. 120hz is the maximum on most subs but trying to explain how it works with roll offs is difficult but be assured there will not be a dip between 120hz and 150hz. As an example my fronts are set to 80hz with the sub at 120hz.

Get use to the sound with DV off and keep us informed.

Okay, I've now pretty much got all Denon's sound enhancements turned off so the sound is as natural as possible. All apart from the XT32 which is left on. I must admit it sounds a LOT better.

Thanks for your help guys.

Okay, I've now pretty much got all Denon's sound enhancements turned off so the sound is as natural as possible. All apart from the XT32 which is left on. I must admit it sounds a LOT better.

Thanks for your help guys.

Dynamic EQ boosts the surrounds and sub and it has often been said that causes issues with dialogue.

Dynamic EQ boosts the surrounds and sub and it has often been said that causes issues with dialogue.
Thanks... I've pretty much taken what you guys have said and made a note for the future should I need to re-run the setup again. Can anyone see any issues with this?

Denon Settings
===============================================
Audio/Surround Parameter:
Cinema EQ: On
Loudness Management: Off
Dynamic Compresson: Off
Low Frequency Effect: 0db
Audio/Audyssey:
MultEQ XT32: Reference
Dynamic EQ: Off
Dynamic Volume: Off
Audyssey LFC: Off
Containment Amount: 5 (Only when Audyssey LFC is on)
Speakers/Speaker Config:
All speakers set to small no matter what size
Speakers/Distances:
Leave as detected
Speakers/Levels:
Leave as detected
Speakers/Crossovers:
Leave as detected
Speakers/Bass:
Subwoofer Mode: LFE (Not LFE+Main)
LPF for LFE: 120Hz (This is default for movies)

Thanks.

That looks fine.:smashin:

Thanks Gibbsy.

just one last question...

i re-ran the setup last night just to be sure all the levels were correct as I’ve played with them trying to get things right.

last time I ran it the subs were set to -9.5 and the other to -10. This time it set them to -9 and the other to -12.

Just listening with the test tone it does sound quieter so I set them both to -9. Is there any harm changing the volumes to match (audibly not just numerically)?

Thanks again.

The readings you are getting in relation to the subs suggests that the gain on the subs themselves may in fact be atoo high? I'd reduce the volume using the dials on the subs and then rerun the calibration. Try to get a measurement that is as close to 0db as you can.

The differences you experienced are marginal and wouldn't make that much difference. This is more than likely simply down to not having the mic located in the exact same location during the initial measurements?

If you want to manually tweak then use an SPL meter. Measuring the sound level output associated with subwoofers is harder to do though due to the low frequencies and the difficulty some cheaper meters have getting accurate results relative to such frequencies.

The numerical values relate directly to actually sound pressure measurements in the room. You cannot make such measurements by ear or accurately level speakers without such measurements.

Last edited:
The gain? Do you mean the volume? I only have Volume and crossover controls and the crossover is irrelevant because i’m using the LFE port.

also you said as close to 0db? The setup tries to get you to set it at 75db so I’m confused?

Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom