Adjusted electricity bill...

FlagshipDevice

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Okay so I moved in to a new place mid-August. It's electric only. Had a bill at the end of November... £311.99. :eek:

Now the thing is, I live alone. The girlfriend and I have very much a love/hate relationship lol. Imagine my surprise (and near heart-attack) when I received that bill! I don't grow Cannabis in the loft, so there were no expensive lamps to power and pay for. Well I wasn't having that, so I called them and on the 23rd Dec they sent a guy round to check the metre. Seems it had a fault, had my new bill through today... £55.02.

Anyone else had wildly fluctuating bills?

Last edited:
learnt from experience to photograph all meters when we move in

had a gas meter at my last place that went up to 9 then reset to 0, took british gas 13 years to fix it after i sent in my initial recorded delivery letter pointing out it was broken :rotfl:

I checked our Eon statement which suggests we used £90 of electricity in the first week, then another £90 in the subsequent 2-3 months.

When I pointed out the unlikeness of us using £90 worth in 7 days, they sorted it out.

:) just remembered we're with Eon

Last edited:
Not so much bills but E:eek:n were taking a DD of £39 a month for Gas and Electric (2 full time working adults, no kids, 3 bed new build house) when al of a sudden they put it up to £100 a month. I rang them (as I wasn't working at the time and couldn't afford it) and they done sweet FA to help. They said our usage had gone up and they needed to compensate so the amount owed would equal £0 in April. I told them where to go and that I would be leaving.

I am now in the process of that.

1st bill for my new home was £998.something.

I had wonderered why I hadnt seen a bill in 8 months . . . . then BAM. PAY US OR WE CUT YOU OFF.

Luckily i had set aside £100 each month as I knew they would surely want it eventually.

Still crapped myself tho.

EDIT: the are good at payment plans.

Not so much bills but E:eek:n were taking a DD of £39 a month for Gas and Electric (2 full time working adults, no kids, 3 bed new build house) when al of a sudden they put it up to £100 a month. I rang them (as I wasn't working at the time and couldn't afford it) and they done sweet FA to help. They said our usage had gone up and they needed to compensate so the amount owed would equal £0 in April. I told them where to go and that I would be leaving.

I am now in the process of that.

I had this situation with British Gas. They set my monthly DD at a much too low level, so I ended up with massive debits on my account. I take the blame for not monitoring my meters regularly (which I now do).
You will have to pay the debit off, and as you've found this means higher monthly payments.
I negotiated with BG and told them exactly my monthly usage stats, and in the end we agreed a lower monthly payment than they initially suggested to pay off the debits.

my last bill was a shocker :)

i have a standing order set up for 55 a month and over the year it balances out just right. My last bill cam in and had the biggest shock " your balance outstanding is £1104.**" *** was my first response then thought ah must of been a glitch in the system so looked to see if it was an estimate bill. erm nope it was an actual reading. panic set in so started pulling the fridge out of the corner to get to the meter to find that they had mis read the reading by 1100 units or so. made a call to the electric company and they where "sorry" and they would correct the bill. I don't know about you guys but we get soooo many people coming to read the meter must be every month at least 1 or 2, and the one that came the other day got the right hump when i refused him entry saying he had to read it by law. still did'nt get in though and told him where to go.

When I phoned them to query my ability, living alone and not growing drugs in the loft, to use £311.99 pounds worth of electricity in three months they threatened to cut me off too!

"Fine, you can compensate me when you're proved wrong in that case.", I said. Her attitude soon changed having said that, the bill being put on hold until further notice. Funny that, I'm sure even she could see it was wayyyy too much. Grrr...

...the one that came the other day got the right hump when i refused him entry saying he had to read it by law. still did'nt get in though and told him where to go.
Nonetheless, he was right. If he shows proper ID, he has the right of entry.

I don't believe so. They by law only have to read it once every two years. Any more than this and you don't have to let me in. I do, or I leave the filed in card.

as brumhee says they have to read the meter at least once every 18 months or two years, they have no right to access your property. they just want a reading to get paid he even asked me to get the reading for him to key in so he could still get paid....
The company now emails me when the meter reading is due and I email them back the reading. much easier and less disruptive

i do like the on line way of doing things where i can enter my own readings. allows me to keep track of things get rid of the rubbish estimates and notice if anything is out of the ordinary

i have a standing order set up for 55 a month and over the year it balances out just right. My last bill cam in and had the biggest shock " your balance outstanding is £1104.**" *** was my first response then thought ah must of been a glitch in the system so looked to see if it was an estimate bill. erm nope it was an actual reading. panic set in so started pulling the fridge out of the corner to get to the meter to find that they had mis read the reading by 1100 units or so. made a call to the electric company and they where "sorry" and they would correct the bill. I don't know about you guys but we get soooo many people coming to read the meter must be every month at least 1 or 2, and the one that came the other day got the right hump when i refused him entry saying he had to read it by law. still did'nt get in though and told him where to go.

Power and gas companies do have a legal right to read your meter. It's the law. They must read your meter at least once EVERY TWO YEARS!!!!! It's amazing how some people have a guy popping round almost every month yet I've had one person here in 2 years. When i changed from BG to Scottish Power (£80 Quidco!) they screwed up the transfer and my credit Gas meter suddenly changed to prepay. They're 'correcting it' but originally asked for £68 a month gas, which put me hundred's of pounds on credit which they used to pay off the outstanding elec bill.

If you are worried about misreadings or incorrect bills then surely the sensible thing to do is let them read your meter when they come?

Refusing to let people in to read the meter whilst complaining when they get the bill wrong is a bit rich.

as brumhee says they have to read the meter at least once every 18 months or two years, they have no right to access your property. they just want a reading to get paid he even asked me to get the reading for him to key in so he could still get paid....
The company now emails me when the meter reading is due and I email them back the reading. much easier and less disruptive

I have the opposite problem. They only come round every two years, and phone asking for meter readings. When I tell them that the meter is outside so they don't need to ring me, they say they only send every two years! (Npower)

shaz

If you are worried about misreadings or incorrect bills then surely the sensible thing to do is let them read your meter when they come?

Refusing to let people in to read the meter whilst complaining when they get the bill wrong is a bit rich.

i dont mind them reading the meter but the problem was when they read it they got it over 100o units wrong. hence why i do my own now and will et them in once every two years.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom