Adivice on Speaker Cable on new/old system and upgrads to system....Linn Speakers

Ballie64

Novice Member
Hi Everyone this is my first post!

I haven't had a decent system in 20 years instead I have just used cheap all in one products like sonons etc. however, I am now trying to build a new system using a few of my older bits which I have just taken out of storage (been in the loft room for 20 years!) I am after someting that can play music from spotify a cd player and also listen to the TV and watch dvd's, bluerays and netflix etc

I have a pair of old (mid 90's) Linn Keilidh bi-wired speakers which I have just fitted the upgraded Hiquphon tweeters to it was a £295 upgrade but the speakers sound fabolous after the upgrade. They are powered by a new Denon AVC-X3700H amp which I am very pleased with.

I am currently running QED Silver Anniversary Bi-Wire speake cable (which I bought over 20 years ago!) would upgrading this speaker cable make much differance to the sound quality? I have been advised that Tellurium Q black would make a huge differance? I wouldn't buy this new as Ebay has used ones for under half new price.

In addition to this I would like to add a sub speaker again I will be using ebay for a used one any recommendations?

I am also thing about a centre speaker again any recommendations for a decent one to look out for S/H

Appreciate any advice thank you

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Getting my popcorn out following the “Tellurium” word being mentioned.

General consensus on this forum is so long as the cable is OFC copper and 2.5sq,mm cross section (13AWG, 14AWG is acceptable) then that is all you need. Amazon sell Kabeldirekt or Van Damme Blue which are both fine. But I think your silver anniversary is 4x2.5mm which is fine, just trim off the ends to get nice new copper and off you go. Spend the rest of any cable budget on the speakers, buying more music or a good meal out.

Last edited:

Ballie64

Novice Member
Getting my popcorn out following the “Tellurion” word being mentioned.

General consensus on this forum is so long as the cable is OFC copper and 2.5sq,mm cross section (13AWG, 14AWG is acceptable) then that is all you need. Amazon sell Kabeldirekt or Van Damme Blue which are both fine. But I think your silver anniversary is 4x2.5mm which is fine, just trim off the ends to get nice new copper and off you go. Spend the rest of any cable budget on the speakers, buying more music or a good meal out.
Thank you for your honest reply, I will keep my cable as is however I would like to reterminate the QED cable with new bannana plugs its seems a minefield out there can you recommend some decent ones (I am happy to solder if necessary) the ones I have on there now seem a loose fit into the amp and speakers

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
I have used these fisual ones, worked fine for me.

Amazon product

Jester1066

gibbsy

+2 for the Fisuals, very easy to fit. With the old wires just cut back the old copper wire and bare some new strands.

password1

Distinguished Member
Your QED cables are fine. I have the same cables which I bought over 20 years ago. Ive upgraded my speakers many times and kept the same.cablea.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Hi Everyone this is my first post!

I haven't had a decent system in 20 years instead I have just used cheap all in one products like sonons etc. however, I am now trying to build a new system using a few of my older bits which I have just taken out of storage (been in the loft room for 20 years!) I am after someting that can play music from spotify a cd player and also listen to the TV and watch dvd's, bluerays and netflix etc

I have a pair of old (mid 90's) Linn Keilidh bi-wired speakers which I have just fitted the upgraded Hiquphon tweeters to it was a £295 upgrade but the speakers sound fabolous after the upgrade. They are powered by a new Denon AVC-X3700H amp which I am very pleased with.

I am currently running QED Silver Anniversary Bi-Wire speake cable (which I bought over 20 years ago!) would upgrading this speaker cable make much differance to the sound quality? I have been advised that Tellurium Q black would make a huge differance? I wouldn't buy this new as Ebay has used ones for under half new price.

In addition to this I would like to add a sub speaker again I will be using ebay for a used one any recommendations?

I am also thing about a centre speaker again any recommendations for a decent one to look out for S/H

Appreciate any advice thank you

Spend not a single penny on more cable. Hifi’s biggest con, well perhaps not the biggest, there are lots to choose from... but big enough.

Strip a couple of inches from either end of the qed, to get shiny new copper, and that’s that.

Add the Fisual bananas.

Nothing else need be done. Or spent.

Tellurium is excellent. But only at making Mr. Tellurium a ton of undeserved cash.

coruja

I would say buy some Nakamichi banana plugs, just to have that glorious heritage as a part of your system. But Fisuals seem fine.

larkone

Distinguished Member
@coruja Nakamichi heritage in name only, they went bust years ago and the name was sold to a Chinese holding company.

coruja

@larkone To be honest I have no idea about banana plugs until I searched on ebay and it is full of these Nakamichi plugs of many types. Now I have spent a few days reading up!

It looks like Nakamichi's holding company must have licensed the name to plug manufacturer. Nakamichi seem to be doing well making soundbars now.

There only seems to be a few banana plug designs, it is obvious only a few manufacturers are making them and badging them for other companies.

Even the Nakamichi is the same as a Sewell 'Silverback'

Fisual seems to be the sensible option as it doesn't have a casing that is conductive.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom