Adive on a DVD recorder for my Father...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gghghhghghgghgh, May 23, 2005.

1. gghghhghghgghgh

gghghhghghgghgh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The old chap's video recorder has now died, and i would assume it would be better to get a DVD recorder to replace both the video recorder and his DVD player which is pretty old too.
    Could anyone advise on a simple to use model, something not to expensive if possible
    He would be using it with a Freeview box, from which he would record films etc
    He doesnt need to record anything longer than 3 hours.
    Is a DVD recorder what we are looking for?
    Any advice would be gratefully appreciated

best regards
    Tony
    :)

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,279
    If he just wants to timeshift freeview then he is probably better off with a Freeview HDD recorder as opposed to a DVD recorder - although obviously this won't play DVDs. Have a look at the likes of the Humax PVR8000, Thomson DHD4000 and Topfield TF5800 - but ask on the Freeview forum for advice on what model may suit you the best. Couple that with a cheap but decent DVD player such as the JVC XV212, Panasonic S27 or the Toshiba 240.

Such a setup would give you easy EPG recording and a decent DVD player. However if you really want a DVD recorder I would recommend the Sony GXD500 which offers inbuilt Freeview and EPG recording. Failing that any budget DVD recorder would do - the excellent Panasonic ES10 for example although Freeview recording will be inconjunction with your existing digibox and thus won't be so slick.

All links are for reference only - shop around and you can probably get cheaper.