1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adivce for a Newbie

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jediwenger, Nov 19, 2003.

1. jediwenger

jediwenger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was hoping that some of you may be able to help me a little. I am new to this home cinema thingy but have decided to jump on the bandwagon.
    I currently have a bog standard flat 28 widescreen JVC TV, Picture quality is excellent although the sound leaves a little to be desired. I have the Sony DVP-NS700V DVD player that I am currently happy with and a 15 year old separates stereo system that still manages to sound very good.
    Anyway I have just had a promotion at work and given up smoking which means I have an increased disposable income and have decided to do away with the separates system and get an AV Receiver. My current choice is the Denon AVR2803 and I think the mission FS1AV speaker package. My question is would this make a good combination and am I likely to be happy with this set up? I am assuming that a little down the road my parents may be inheriting a Sony DVD player, when this gets upgraded.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    What does your 15 year old separates system comprise of? Before ditching it, it might be worth telling us what you have.

Well done on giving up smoking! It's a damn hard thing to do!

You cant really go wrong with any of the kit you have mentioned here.. the best thing to always do, is go and listen to it. If it sound good to your ears, then it probably is good! I'm not sure what your price range is, but also take a look at some of the B&W home cinema packages with that amp. Not all speakers are the same, they all sound slightly different - pick the one that sounds nicest to you! Also, AV kit tends to sound different at home as it does in the shop.. if you can get a 14 day no quibble guarantee then you should feel more confident in choosing the right kit.

Also dont rule out second-hand kit - you tend to get more for your money, depends how confident you are. For a first system, you may find advice from a reputable retailer invaluable - although there are plenty of people on here more than willing to assist you!

Good luck!