1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A'Divas vs M&K

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by baileych, Jun 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't know if many of you remember a previous thread:

Previously on 'Speakers and Subwoofers'...

but I'm thinking again of replacing my B&W DM6xxS2 setup with some new matching speakers.

I'm definitely sold on the idea of having matching L, C and R speakers and I'd quite like to have matching SL and SR (and sometime SBL, SBR :D ).

Currently:
    Arcam DV88
    TAG AV32R bp192
    Arcam A85 (used as P85), P85/3
    B&W DM603S2 / B&W CC6S2 / Mission 78ds
    Velodyne CHT-15 :D

Last time I was considering this choice I was considering the AGNMs. I was very impressed but not sold so I decided to just do an RELQ150E -> Velo CHT-15 and leave my speakers as they were.

This time the choice seems to be A'Divas (I'm attracted by the ability to use a lower crossover setting than AGNMs and reports of better performance and imaging), or save for longer and go for something like M&K 850s (or maybe 650s or Pro 1510??? :confused: ).

So basically:

Are A'Divas significantly better than NMs?
    Are (some flavour of) M&Ks worth the extra over AG's offerings.
    Would my power amplification cope?

Thanks,

Charles.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anthony Gallo speaker are desinger series.. M&K are boring black boxes. Where do you think some of the final price goes to for designer speakers?

The vast majority of studios use M&K speakers, and not Gallos.

3. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So the M&K's are better pound for pound? I guess they should be.

I've heard good things about their ~GBP400ea speakers (old S125 =new 850?).

I haven't heard much about their speakers at the A'Diva's sort price. Should I be looking at something like K17? I haven't heard much good or bad about them.

I've certainly no objection to black boxes! It's the sound that counts :lesson: !

Thanks,

Charles.

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    They are also completely different speakers, the A'Divas lack of high frequency extension not to mention the lack of crossover may actually make them sound better to you, they just wouldn't be as accurate as the M&K's.

5. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some of the final price of ANY and every speaker goes on design.
    How much depends on many factors and it would be pure speculation to dream up numbers here for any manufacturer.

For the record, I am a dealer for both brands. Due to my experience with the above brands (I've installed and set-up many sets of each) I pride myself in knowing a little more about them than most.

Anthony Gallo as a company, would feel flattered that customers/admirers use words like "designer series"
    Their first intention was to produce a range of speakers that perform very well for the cost. Like many, I feel they have achieved this target by producing some of the best speaker designs in the world regardless of cost and size. I would also say the good looks of these speakers are simply the cherry on the cake.

The designer of the Nucleus Micro, A'Diva and Due' has been designing reference audiophile speakers from a very early age. Spherical crossoverless technology is a superb engineering feat that works very well.

To borrow a phrase from my friend the keeper of Bees, "These balls have balls"

Mr Gallo has just gone back to the future and produced his third reference speaker. Whether you like the looks or not, the ultra high end Anthony Gallo Reference 3 has been getting some wild reviews in the States. This is due out in approx 3 months.

Attached Files:

6. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    baileych,

I have owned a complete 5.1 consisting of Gallo A'Divas for over 3 months now and I love the speakers.:)

Here was a quick review of the speakers I posted awhile ago:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/show...&threadid=75010

Recently I messed around with the positioning of my front left & right A'Divas to see if I could maximise their performance and I remembered Eric telling me recently that I should try placing the A'Diva's against the corners of my living room of the in order to maximise their lower frequency response. Well, I did just as Eric inscructed and I then put on Gladiator and selected 'The Battle Of Carthage' to see if I could notice anything different and I was wowed by the significant increase in the added bass I got from these small balls - the whole soundstage sounded that MUCH FULLER. I even double-checked my bass settings (both sub and amp) to make sure I didn't change anything and indeed nothing was changed. I was unaware of the significance of placing the A'Divas against the corner of the room and the impact/improvement that it had to the A'Divas frequency response.

Now to answer some of your specific questions:

The A'Divas IMO are not significantly better than the NM but is noticably better, and even more so especially if you can maximise their lower frequency range. Eric and other forum members has stated that the NM offer nearly the performance of the M&K 850s. If the A'Diva's were significantly better than the NM, then that would mean they would be better than M&K 850s. The best thing to do is to let Eric answer that one as he has a great deal of experience with both speakers.

Even though I haven't personally listened or dealt with the Arcam A85, I see no problems with the amp driving the A'Divas - which are fairly easy to drive. If you have pushed your B&W 602's to reference level and there was no change in the overall tone (no harshness and doesn't sound strained), then I'm pretty sure it would be the same for the A'Divas.

I do think that alot of the more experienced forum members would consider running a Tag with the A'Divas OTT though.

BTW, You are more than welcome to come over again to demo the A'Divas should you wish.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It is a shame that Eric, in his post, claimed to be a dealer for both M&K and Gallo but elected not to answer the question.

I would be grateful if you could find a link to where forum members have claimed that A'Divas are better than M&K 850 series as that must have been a thread(s) that I missed.

I like the A'Diva speakers and think that they are good, stylish speakers when set up properly, and with the right partnering equipment, but Charles specifically mentioned the M&K MPS1510 which I own as an alternative and I am pleased to tell him that they are worth every penny of the extra.

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Don't knock it, hey it is even a great match with NM and Tag :)

9. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) Yes
    2) "Some flavour" Yes. However, the same can be said vice versa.
    3) It would with most of Gallo's and M&K's range. Having more power certainly makes both speaker systems sing sweeter.

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Gallo Reference 3 "

Lol. Stick the Due's onto a solid black block and add a woofer and call them reference.:rotfl:

Nice sales pitch.:rolleyes:

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Look again Nathan, the Ref 3 are much more than you are hinting at

12. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    My thoughts after hearing both sets of speakers are as follows.

The Micros and a'divas are very good speakers and are small and compact which is appealing from a WAF point of View. The sound with decent amplification belies their small size, and produces a nice open and realistic sound stage. The draw back is that in my experience you need big powerful amplification as the dont like to be pushed very hard, quickly becoming small distorting balls.

The M&K 850 are in a different league in my opinion, nice big cabinets which are well braced and the use of drivers with M&K's brilliant crossover units. However the M&K sound takes a little getting used to especially if you listen to speakers which are coloured by the manufacturer such as the 6XXS3 which you mention. What you get from the M&Ks is completely natural and uncoloured sound, that replays exactly what it is fed, so put crap in it sounds crap etc.

If I had to choose between the two, and I have done in the past, my money would clearly be on the M&K's and if you can afford it, go with the 1510's

13. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My god! It's a due riding a unicycle ;) .

Jeff, this worries me. AG's website says 20kHz but they don't say -?dB. Is 20kHz not good enough? M&K say 20kHz at -2dB.

Eric, I obviously need "flavour" advice!

I don't really care about looks but I've found this other person living in my house (the same one who said "What's that!" when the CHT-15 appeared) who would be happier with elegant speakers and also if I didn't spend August's holiday money as well as my savings on new speakers!

I'd only want to do this (go for the cheaper A'Divas) if they were higher on the (highly subjective) price performance curve.

I wasn't really worried about the A/P 85 being able to drive AG's more the MK offerings.

My B&W's are S2 not S3. The 603 is a litte chunkier than the current series 603, but the CC6 is (I think) smaller and slightly boxier than either S3 centre speakers.

BTW, was my subject line carefully crafted to start a flame war?? :devil:

Thanks,

Charles.

14. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's nice to see so many folks on the forum going the M&K route. They are indeed very high quality with most of the range being held in high regard by those looking for accurate sound.

I might add that Anthony Gallo's spherical speakers are also highly neutral with no crossover to flavour sonics and the hugely rigid metal spheres ensuring there is no colouration from the enclosure.

Charles, you have a message with flavour advice :)

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    May I suggest that you equally obviously need to have a listen to both makes to judge for yourself as they both sound completely different and it's your ears that will have to live with them.

16. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I agree, they do have a limited frequency range but what they do within those limits is pretty damn good. These speakers offer amazing amounts of detail. A Tag is certainly not OTT. The speakers lack of bass can easily be fixed by a good/great sub (as long as you can set the crossover high enough on the AV receiver/processor). At the high-end of the audio range the tweeterless A'Divas and Micros are a bit challenged, I think there is a lot to be said for using a Gallo Due speaker (which does have a tweeter) as a centre speaker.

17. JonnyGallo

JonnyGallo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello All

Just thought I'd say Hi and get my two cents worth in.

There are studios that use Gallo's, in particular Messieurs' Spielberg, Zimmerman and Bruckheimer at their Media Partners Studio's and inn their homes too. Not that I'm name dropping of course.

The other point was Nathan_Silly's rather cheap shot at the Reference III. As The Beekeeper wisely pointed out the Ref III is much more than simply a Dué and sub stuck on a stand. How about Twin 4" Carbon Fibre Woofer's, 10" Bass Driver and the fantastic CDT? Tweeter not to mention the usual S2? spherical speaker technology. These speakers will sound unbelievable and for the traditionalists out there the Ref III will have a full grill transforming it into a standard looking floor-stander too.

BTW Baileych, ever thought about Dué's???

18. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rotfl: Who they?!:rotfl:

19. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Ian J,

I never said there were forum members who claimed that the A'Divas were better than the M&K 850 series.

I said that IF the A'Divas WERE significanly better than the MN (which I pointed out that they are not IMO), then one would conclude that they had to be better than the M&K 850 series and thats based on the assumption that the NM offers near the performance of the M&K 850 series as some forum member has said.

20. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You're not a government spin doctor by any chance ;)

21. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    IF the A'Divas were better then the M&K 850s THEN the choice would be easy!

I'm going to get an audition of the A'Divas locally. I'll try and listen to a sytem close to mine but probably with the Arcam P7 instead of my A/P85 collection. I'll compare them to a B&W setup and if they're significantly better I might just go for them. Otherwise it's carry on saving!

Demos of the M&K's seem hard to find. The only dealers which I know locally only go up to the K series (at a price!) and I'd really like to demo the 850s.

Have I thought about dues? Yes, but they're as (more?) expensive than the M&Ks which I'm considering. I'll try and audition them when I have enough funds to be considering them vs. an M&K setup.

Thanks,

Charles.

22. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you remember back to when the 'Gallo explosion' went off on the forums originally.
    Eric did say that the Micros were close in performance to his professional M&K actives which are what 2k each?! Now the A'divas are considered better than the Micros so using that logic, at ten times cheaper than the M&K actives yes the A'divas are pretty damn spectacular.

23. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Charles seems to have reached the sensible conclusion that he should demo whatever speakers he is interested in buying before making his decision.

If Eric were to follow James45's logic he would have replaced his M&K Professional speakers with A'Diva by now but the fact that he hasn't would indicate that you can't buy speakers according to a mathmatical formula.

The thread had already reached a natural conclusion so I will close it now to ensure that it doesn't degenerate further and perhaps when Charles has finished his demo's he can open another thread and tell of his findings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.